The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MusicNow
Hey guys, just been trying to fill in a bit of time by looking into the Colleges at the Stockton campus. Honestly I can't see much to distinguish one from the other, what are other peoples thoughts/preferences?

Stephenson - 2 minute walk from lectures
John Snow - 9 minute walk from lectures

but John Snow has a great video, and they still keep some traditions, such as robes for formal events. I went for John Snow.
Anyone else with interviews? :biggrin: Congrats in advance... you're almost there!
Reply 102
I haven't heard back yet and the tension is killing me! I'm trying to look on the bright side and think that the later I hear, the more time I have to prepare for the interview, but I don't know how I'm going to last until February!
Reply 103
Hey guys is it true that they interview everyone above the ukcat cutoff? and what percentage of interviewees get offers? thanks in advance!
Original post by Shreyank
Hey guys is it true that they interview everyone above the ukcat cutoff? and what percentage of interviewees get offers? thanks in advance!

Yes that is correct - anyone with UKCAT score above the cut-off is guaranteed an interview, provided that you have met all the academic requirements and such.

For the 2nd part of your question - I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this question, as I only know the applicant-place ratio... I remember someone on TSR had a table outlining the stats for Durham applicant. I'll try to find it and I'll post it here.

Hope this was somewhat of a help!
Durham/Newcastle Data - Thanks goes to Vox0 and the Newcastle Admissions Team

And boom! I found the table :biggrin: hope this helps...
I think I died a little when I saw the international stats for Durham :eek: 75 to 24 to 7...

DURHAM, WE LOVE YOU! :adore:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 106
Hey guys, just been trying to fill in a bit of time by looking into the Colleges at the Stockton campus. Honestly I can't see much to distinguish one from the other, what are other peoples thoughts/preferences?

sorry this is not the answer to your question, but do they ask about what college want or prefer, before or at interviews?
Reply 107
Original post by doctork2
Durham/Newcastle Data - Thanks goes to Vox0 and the Newcastle Admissions Team

And boom! I found the table :biggrin: hope this helps...
I think I died a little when I saw the international stats for Durham :eek: 75 to 24 to 7...

DURHAM, WE LOVE YOU! :adore:

Thank you doctork2,
Just wanted to know how they decide on giving interviews? is it just ukcat cutoff only ? or do they have a look at your personal statement and application along with ukcat then offer interviews?

Information on the selection criteria seems to be non existent on the durham website.
Reply 108
This is Newcastle and Durham's admissions policy for 2012.
Reply 109
sorry this is not the answer to your question, but do they ask about what college want or prefer, before or at interviews?

I assume you choose after interviews because I haven't heard anything about it yet. However, I applied for Newcastle without specifying a campus and then was allocated Durham, maybe its different if you choose Durham from the offset.
Reply 110
It's odd that Newcastle has given out quite a few interview invites already, yet Durham is being rather quiet, at least according to TSR.
Reply 111
I guess Durham don't interview as many and have until Feb to hand out interviews? A few people on the stalking thread have had interviews..the lowest UKCAT score to get interviewed was 680 at the moment. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry
Reply 112
Original post by Blink1632
I guess Durham don't interview as many and have until Feb to hand out interviews? A few people on the stalking thread have had interviews..the lowest UKCAT score to get interviewed was 680 at the moment. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2012_Entry

Yeah, that is true, but they're all in November and I was hoping to see at least a few more to have interviews in December by now. Oh well, I guess only time will tell.
Interview today - not as scary as i was expecting, they were all very good and try to tease the answers they want out of you.

can't stop analysing it in my head mind! definitely bits i didn't answer very well. gonna be a long wait to find out..... Anyone else had interviews? Sharings caring!
Reply 114
Original post by bobmullins
Interview today - not as scary as i was expecting, they were all very good and try to tease the answers they want out of you.

can't stop analysing it in my head mind! definitely bits i didn't answer very well. gonna be a long wait to find out..... Anyone else had interviews? Sharings caring!

I have one for the 15th of December, so nervous! Was your interview really 35-40 minutes? And any questions which took you by surprise?
Original post by Daave92

Original post by Daave92
I have one for the 15th of December, so nervous! Was your interview really 35-40 minutes? And any questions which took you by surprise?

I was really nervous waiting, got there early so had to wait in the cafeteria thingy. Once in there, you just stop being nervous and realise you can do it, will be fine. Yep, lasted about 35 i think. There were no surprising questions, it was all very structured and they knew what they wanted you to say, would try and direct you to what they had on their sheet.

Saying that mind, I felt like it was a bit of the old good cop bad cop - the guy was really cool, easy to talk to, but dragon-lady on the other side of the table asked all the less open questions, and every expression seemed to be damning or judging - be prepared for that!

I did get one really tricky ethical scenario, not going to tell you what it was (they had a pile of about 7 cards to choose from, picked 3 for me) but lets just say i am still doubting what i have said, even after reading up on the guidance behind it, which doesn't seem to cover it!
Reply 116
Original post by bobmullins
I was really nervous waiting, got there early so had to wait in the cafeteria thingy. Once in there, you just stop being nervous and realise you can do it, will be fine. Yep, lasted about 35 i think. There were no surprising questions, it was all very structured and they knew what they wanted you to say, would try and direct you to what they had on their sheet.

Saying that mind, I felt like it was a bit of the old good cop bad cop - the guy was really cool, easy to talk to, but dragon-lady on the other side of the table asked all the less open questions, and every expression seemed to be damning or judging - be prepared for that!

I did get one really tricky ethical scenario, not going to tell you what it was (they had a pile of about 7 cards to choose from, picked 3 for me) but lets just say i am still doubting what i have said, even after reading up on the guidance behind it, which doesn't seem to cover it!

Were there any other interviewees there with you? It gives me the impression that the don't have a lot of interviewees on one particular day haha.

Yeah I can imagine the good cop bad cop thing, one is probably there to put you off and see how you respond. Did they tell you when you would hear back about the results of the interview?

If I remember rightly, I got my college preference letter after the new year, after interview but before I'd received my offer.

N.B Pick Stephenson. As well as being patently the best, we're less than 200 metres from where you have your practicals, where you have your lectures, where you have college dining and the gym. Food for thought.
Reply 118
Original post by Blorcyn
If I remember rightly, I got my college preference letter after the new year, after interview but before I'd received my offer.

N.B Pick Stephenson. As well as being patently the best, we're less than 200 metres from where you have your practicals, where you have your lectures, where you have college dining and the gym. Food for thought.

I'll bear that advice in mind! On a similar note, do you mind me asking what Stockton is like to live in? I'm a graduate so I'm not particularly bothered about a night life, just wondering how the students find it.
I'll bear that advice in mind! On a similar note, do you mind me asking what Stockton is like to live in? I'm a graduate so I'm not particularly bothered about a night life, just wondering how the students find it.

Well, it's not Durham City but you can get there pretty easily, and to be honest I find a lot of the city colleges can be quite pretentious. There can be snobbery to QC students but as a medic, if you're inclined, you can whip that out and so it's not a problem for us like other courses here.

On the campus itself, off the top of my head, I think we do biomed, psychology, business courses, anthropology and medicine. Because of that, and with Phase 1 being only two years, there isn't quite the medic cliquishness that I believe you find at universities without our unique situation.

The college is a big influence when you live in halls and, like most collegiate universities, really makes you feel part of a collective that will attend to your pastoral care. It can be a bit demanding, (read: e-mail & flyer bombardment) but you feel more than just another number.

Living in Stephenson you don't really have to wander anywhere to get to the main academic facilities, and 9-5 this is really useful, but with Snow you may feel a little more on the periphery (but the area in between is quite professional).

The campus itself feels like a student village, isolated from Stockton. We have a river sweeping around one side, and to the south a grass rise that blocks out the railway line and Middlesbrough, making it feel like its own little place. I mention this only because it's a really noticeable change in atmosphere from the surrounding area that flatmates and I have commented on several times.

Stockton specifically, well really you should address Stockton and Middlesbrough as the divide seems to be the river. Stockton is a typical northern town - some nicer areas, some less nice areas. However, the actual High Street and town centre is, in my opinion, really pleasant. The people can, admittedly, seem a bit rough, but the style of buildings and the layout reminds me a lot of Harrogate or York. Middlesbrough on the other hand is slightly more industrial. A little harder to get to, it's a bit bigger and of course you'll travel through and to it frequently over the course of your med degree as it sites James Cook UH.

I hope this answers your question somewhat. Of course, I may appear very biased but that's because I am and it's a very subjective answer. Before I came, I was somewhat worried after reading some of the things said about the satellite nature of the campus and its situation in Stockton. Now that I'm here, well, I love it.

(I did spend the previous years of my education in Wolverhampton though, so there is that =P )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending