The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You are probably right saying mid to late January before we are informed. But if rehearsals start in March that does not give you very much time to organise the time required. However, as my recall was 2 weeks ago and was told 6-8 weeks then, I somehow hoped I would know by the end of the year.
Original post by wickedgrin
You are probably right saying mid to late January before we are informed. But if rehearsals start in March that does not give you very much time to organise the time required. However, as my recall was 2 weeks ago and was told 6-8 weeks then, I somehow hoped I would know by the end of the year.

Like you, I am hoping that we will have heard by close of play on Friday, 23rd December 2011 at the latest so that we can all relax and enjoy Christmas/New Year as, no doubt, the Creative Team also want to do (with their families etc.) before the real hard graft commences in the New Year to have everything required and necessary in place for rehearsals starting in March 2012.

This is the utopia perspective of course and, as we probably all know by now, not everything always goes EXACTLY to plan does it?

We really don't want to be left wondering/fretting about this all over the festive break do we? (and I imagine that the creative team are as keen as us to "get on with it" as much as time and resources and planning/co-operation from third parties such as rehearsal venues will permit of course - there is, after all only 24 hours in each of their days available too however!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 282
What does everything think the odds are for getting through?
Because of the lack of men auditioning, I guess that the odds are better for men?

Starting the rehearsals in March isnt much time so I guess the routines will be pretty simple?
Obviously there are professional teams of people that will also have to rehearse too, as well as the celebrities whoever they are?
Reply 283
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
Was just wondering :smile: I haven't picked my date yet. Rather excited!

What are you going to do? Wave a flag around and cry sweet, patriotic tears?
Original post by cinnamon
What does everything think the odds are for getting through?
Because of the lack of men auditioning, I guess that the odds are better for men?

Starting the rehearsals in March isnt much time so I guess the routines will be pretty simple?
Obviously there are professional teams of people that will also have to rehearse too, as well as the celebrities whoever they are?

Only my thoughts - what do I know? But I would think the chances of getting through are very high (90%) they need the bodies (male and female) for whatever they have in mind, so as I said in a previous post, as long as you can follow instruction, are reasonably fit and can put one foot in front of the other - you are in.

As we are just untrained volunteers, the routines ( or whatever we are required to do ) will have to be simple in order for the least able to do them.

It would be good to know either way though as I think the commitment required will be huge in terms of time and we will need to organise ourselves. 2-3 rehearsals a week from March for 5 months is a huge commitment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 285
Only my thoughts - what do I know? But I would think the chances of getting through are very high (90%) they need the bodies (male and female) for whatever they have in mind, so as I said in a previous post, as long as you can follow instruction, are reasonably fit and can put one foot in front of the other - you are in.

As we are just untrained volunteers, the routines ( or whatever we are required to do ) will have to be simple in order for the least able to do them.

It would be good to know either way though as I think the commitment required will be huge in terms of time and we will need to organise ourselves. 2-3 rehearsals a week from March for 5 months is a huge commitment.

I agree, and with the huge committment required from the volunteers , there will be some that wont be able to commit to that, so they may ask for more volunteers than required anyways.
Roll on end of December
Reply 286
Has anyone done a pointe audition yet?? Mine is tomorrow! Any hints or tips?? Thanks :smile:
My daughter's is on Friday - think they are the first two.
Would be interested to know how long they last as I intend to pop off to Westfield and will need ample shopping time lol!
Reply 288
Original post by papreek
Has anyone done a pointe audition yet?? Mine is tomorrow! Any hints or tips?? Thanks :smile:

Good luck, let us all know how you get on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6PggR39Sg

Wonder if the ballet dancers will be doing any of this at their auditions (or in the ceremonies for that matter)?
Reply 290
Original post by cornishscot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6PggR39Sg

Wonder if the ballet dancers will be doing any of this at their auditions (or in the ceremonies for that matter)?

Looks great!
Hey folks, don't want to worry anybody unduly, but you might all like to bear this ES article in mind before deciding whether or not to take part (if selected) too - can't believe it may not all start until 9pm on the night (or the reasons why) !!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24016411-british-athletes-may-boycott-late-opening-ceremony.do
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 292
Hey folks, don't want to worry anybody unduly, but you might all like to bear this ES article in mind before deciding whether or not to take part (if selected) too - can't believe it may not all start until 9pm on the night (or the reasons why) !!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24016411-british-athletes-may-boycott-late-opening-ceremony.do

I read earlier that DB wanted to start it later so the full effect of the fireworks could be seen after dark.
This article says its because of the Americans.
I think that start and end times could change several times before next July!
But then what do I know?
Just my opinion of course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Looks like they still need more volunteer performers?
http://www.london2012.com/games/ceremonies/get-involved/casting-information.php

It states auditions in Feb 2012 and also states " We need more men - particularly if you have rhythm! This means those of you who can dance but also drum, or do any sport, job, or hobby that involves keeping to time. Sign up now for the opportunity of a lifetime."

When you click through further it states closing date for submission of application is 9th Jan 2012!

Wonder what all this now means?
Reply 294

I had my second, drumming, recall today. It was the last audition group to be done, notwithstanding any further sessions that may called due to the lack of rhythmic men! We were told 6 to 8 weeks too, same as my dancing recall at the beginning of the month. So who knows?
Reply 295

Why on earth would the start time on the night make a difference to your decision over and above a 5 month commitment of intensive training? That's just media crap!
I really dont understand why they need more men to drum? Surely girls can drum as well as boys? Why does it matter when there are 1000's doing the same thing?

It really does look as though we will have to wait for the New Year before finding out any news too :frown:
Original post by RocKeRG
Why on earth would the start time on the night make a difference to your decision over and above a 5 month commitment of intensive training? That's just media crap!

It shouldn't really I suppose except if you just can't physically get transport home after the show of course - and surely best to know BEFORE you commit to doing the rehearsals anyway what's expected on this no?

There will be no parking available at or nearby the stadium either remember !
Original post by Essex Girl

It states auditions in Feb 2012 and also states " We need more men - particularly if you have rhythm! This means those of you who can dance but also drum, or do any sport, job, or hobby that involves keeping to time. Sign up now for the opportunity of a lifetime."

When you click through further it states closing date for submission of application is 9th Jan 2012!

Curiouser and curiouser !!!!!!!!!
Original post by Essex Girl

To me it means that they didn't get enough men in the first place and/or the ones they did get weren't up to the standard they wanted. :frown:

Latest