The Student Room Group

AS and A-level choices

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm only in Year 10, so obviously things can change but at the moment I know I will do History and Religious Studies.

The other two will be a straight fight between Geography, Biology and Government and Politics. I wish I didn't take Business Studies as a GCSE - I really don't like it and its too late to change. I so wish I did Triple Science. :frown:

I will more or likely end up doing

History
Religious Studies
Government and Politics
Geography/Biology.
I'm only in Year 11 but I've got to finalise my choices in the next week so thought I'd share too :biggrin: I'm planning on taking:

Maths
Economics
German
Sociology

Maybe to study Business Management with Marketing/Communications at uni.. not sure yet though :smile:
Original post by xXxnoora95xXx
Hi

everyone is thread is about for what you are choosing in AS and A-level:biggrin::biggrin:

I am choosing Maths,Chemistry,Biology and Physics

THANKS
:gfight:

Great choices but be aware they are Very hard so you should work hard ALOT; but it's not impossbile to get 4 As

Good luck
Original post by FALCONSFURY
Great choices but be aware they are Very hard so you should work hard ALOT; but it's not impossbile to get 4 As

Good luck

thanks 4 the adviceeeee:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 44
Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Further Maths & Politics A-Levels over three years. Wish I had taken Geography instead of Politics, but it's a bit late for that now.
Original post by Anrel
Biology, Chemistry, History, Maths, Further Maths & Politics A-Levels over three years. Wish I had taken Geography instead of Politics, but it's a bit late for that now.

ohh too bad wish you luck:redface:
I've chosen - Maths, Further maths, Physics and Chemistry (maybe additional further maths outside of school)
Reply 47
Original post by usycool1
I'm in year 11 and I want to do:

Maths (doing AS this year)
Further Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maybe EPQ

My friend is doing that minus the EPQ and I still think he is mad...
I'm probably going to do Classical Civilisation, Economics, Government & Politics, and Philosophy & Ethics.
Original post by lollington-mccoy
I've chosen - Maths, Further maths, Physics and Chemistry (maybe additional further maths outside of school)

whats the difference between further maths and normal maths is it reallllly hard:confused::confused:
Original post by xXxnoora95xXx
whats the difference between further maths and normal maths is it reallllly hard:confused::confused:

Further mats you do more modules including FP1 and FP2 (Further Pure 1 and 2)
I want to do: Biolgy, English Lit, German and History. I want to keep my options for uni open :cool:
Original post by AKKaur
I want to do: Biolgy, English Lit, German and History. I want to keep my options for uni open :cool:

good idea:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 52
Original post by usycool1
I'm in year 11 and I want to do:

Maths (doing AS this year)
Further Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Maybe EPQ

Hey, if you want to do 5 subjects, you may find yourself with loads of work so EPQ may be a bit to much for you to handle.

That was my experience anyway. :smile:
I dropped Chemistry and took up EPQ. :smile:
I am in Year 11 considering A-Level choices. I am more orientated towards scientific subjects, although I enjoy the analytical subjects such as History and am interested by politics.
Here are my thoughts at the moment:

MATHS (Started AS this year)
FURTHER MATHS (as a combined option with Maths)
BIOLOGY
CHEMISTRY
PHYSICS

As I said, I enjoy GCSE-level history, but have been put off by the prospects of writing endless essays. I am concerned that doing only scientific subjects will not give me a good general spread of subjects and I am closing my options off for further education.

Has anyone got any advice about more literary subjects like HISTORY or POLITICS?
Reply 54
Original post by PierreWeller
I am in Year 11 considering A-Level choices. I am more orientated towards scientific subjects, although I enjoy the analytical subjects such as History and am interested by politics.
Here are my thoughts at the moment:

MATHS (Started AS this year)
FURTHER MATHS (as a combined option with Maths)
BIOLOGY
CHEMISTRY
PHYSICS

As I said, I enjoy GCSE-level history, but have been put off by the prospects of writing endless essays. I am concerned that doing only scientific subjects will not give me a good general spread of subjects and I am closing my options off for further education.

Has anyone got any advice about more literary subjects like HISTORY or POLITICS?

Have you had any thought on what you want to study at University? :smile:

And English Lit goes well with a lot of subjects. :smile:
I've chosen;

English Lit
Classical Civilisation
Philosophy
Economics

Do you think they're pretty easy subjects to get A's in?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aussie-Pom
I've chosen;

English Lit
Classical Civilisation
Philosophy
Economics

Economics is difficult. Even at GCSE it's hard. Do History instead. Class Civ is respected just the same as the other 3 it's just tediously dull. English = :woo: Philosophy=idk.
What do you want to do?
Reply 57
I've chosen;

English Lit
Classical Civilisation
Philosophy
Economics

i cant speak for the others, but economics is pretty easy to get an A in, but thats from someone who also did biology and maths

edit: understanding economics is like a sigmoid curve, you do badly throughout the year but you get a eureka moment, once youve sussed it youll get high grades, and then youll have to work reallly hard if you want an even higher grade like an A*
(edited 12 years ago)
If anybody wans advice on subjects: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1835749
I created a thread where loads of year 12s gave opinion on their subjects, it might help anyone who's not certain
I've chosen;

English Lit
Classical Civilisation
Philosophy
Economics

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1835749 look there for opiniOns on econ and other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest