AQA A2 Biol4 January 2012 pre- exam discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pogiberto
peeps, the Unit 4 June 2011 paper is online- thank the guy who posted
it

http://http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1864988

Thank you very much!
Reply 221
Hmm, you guys are starting to freak me out! I've found unit 4 overall the easiest of the biology units so far.. I also take environmental studies and basically all of it apart from photosynthesis and respiration I've already done in it...
However i am only going for a B unlike most of you so maybe it's more approachable for me.. Got CCB in as. After resitting my as isa I'm at ABC which is nice, resitting unit 1 in jan hopefully securing my B. luckily got the mark for an A with my a2 Isa first time thank god.. Took 3 tries in as haha! Now just need to nail this exam :smile:
Original post by Roxas

Original post by Roxas
Hmm, you guys are starting to freak me out! I've found unit 4 overall the easiest of the biology units so far.. I also take environmental studies and basically all of it apart from photosynthesis and respiration I've already done in it...
However i am only going for a B unlike most of you so maybe it's more approachable for me.. Got CCB in as. After resitting my as isa I'm at ABC which is nice, resitting unit 1 in jan hopefully securing my B. luckily got the mark for an A with my a2 Isa first time thank god.. Took 3 tries in as haha! Now just need to nail this exam :smile:

There is nothing difficult about the content of Unit 4. The difficult part is applying the knowledge to the HSW questions.
Reply 223
Hey.. Just got confused in a question.
It's on the Jan 2010 paper where it asks "1d) What type of natural selection is shown in the graph?'
The answer is 'stabilising' but I havn't been taught anything about that. What other types are there?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 224
Original post by annie93
Hey.. Just got confused in a question.
It's on the Jan 2010 paper where it asks "1d) What type of natural selection is shown in the graph?'
The answer is 'stabilising' but I havn't been taught anything about that. What other types are there?
Thank you :smile:

Stabilising and directional are the ones that we've been taught - stabilising favours the average alleles and directional favours one extreme of the phenotype so that the mean shifts towards the extreme. There's also one other that I came across but I can't remember the name now (something like inverted) where both extremes are favoured, either side of the mean. The ones you need to know should be in your textbook :smile:
Reply 225
:frown: Dont understand Hardy-Weinberg principle or equation D:
Original post by Erotas
Stabilising and directional are the ones that we've been taught - stabilising favours the average alleles and directional favours one extreme of the phenotype so that the mean shifts towards the extreme. There's also one other that I came across but I can't remember the name now (something like inverted) where both extremes are favoured, either side of the mean. The ones you need to know should be in your textbook :smile:

theres also disruptive or destructive one of the two cant remember exactly which one , but i dont think we need to know about it for this board

june 2010 was a horrible paper :frown:
Reply 227
Stabilising and directional are the ones we need for Bio.

Stabilising is where the environmental conditions favour the average phenotypes of the species, for example if wolf fur range from 5-25mm in the arctic and the optimum fur length is 17mm the average fur length would be around 17mm as the selection is stable.

Directional is where a change happens in the environment, to continue my example say the temperature drops by 5*C which shifts the optimum fur length from 17 to 22mm, at first the ones with the shortest fur will die, and then through natural selection the longer furred wolves will reproduce increasing the amount of wolves with 22mm fur as this phenotype is more adapted to survival so the allele for 22mm fur becomes more common and before you know it the average fur length has change to 22mm so the mean has shifted- directional selection.

Typed this out on my phOne, hope it helps!
Reply 228
Original post by Erotas

Original post by sandeep0767
theres also disruptive or destructive one of the two cant remember exactly which one , but i dont think we need to know about it for this board

june 2010 was a horrible paper :frown:

Original post by Roxas
Stabilising and directional are the ones we need for Bio.

Stabilising is where the environmental conditions favour the average phenotypes of the species, for example if wolf fur range from 5-25mm in the arctic and the optimum fur length is 17mm the average fur length would be around 17mm as the selection is stable.

Directional is where a change happens in the environment, to continue my example say the temperature drops by 5*C which shifts the optimum fur length from 17 to 22mm, at first the ones with the shortest fur will die, and then through natural selection the longer furred wolves will reproduce increasing the amount of wolves with 22mm fur as this phenotype is more adapted to survival so the allele for 22mm fur becomes more common and before you know it the average fur length has change to 22mm so the mean has shifted- directional selection.

Typed this out on my phOne, hope it helps!

Thank you!!! That was very helpful! :biggrin:
Original post by quarton1

Original post by quarton1
:frown: Dont understand Hardy-Weinberg principle or equation D:

The principle itself is simple, there is no change in allele frequency from generation to generation unless there are conditions which don't allow it (e.g. migration, natural selection etc.).

For allele frequency:

p + q = 1, where p is frequency of dominant allele and q is frequency of recessive allele.

For genotype frequency:

p^2 + 2pq + q^2 = 1, where p^2 is homozygous dominant genotype frequency, 2pq is heterozygous genotype frequency and q^2 is homozygous recessive genotype frequency.

That's all you need to know (you obviousy need to be able to apply it).
Is there any content to read which teaches us the HSW skills? like when i did the jan 10 paper which went on about spearmans rank, where does it say you need to know this stuff/ or teach it to you? is it in the specification? and wheres the official material?
Original post by Master S P

Is there any content to read which teaches us the HSW skills? like when i did the jan 10 paper which went on about spearmans rank, where does it say you need to know this stuff/ or teach it to you? is it in the specification? and wheres the official material?

Yes, it's in the specification. What do you mean by official material? I have no idea if there is content which can teach you HSW, maybe someone else might know if there is...
Original post by NutterFrutter
Yes, it's in the specification. What do you mean by official material? I have no idea if there is content which can teach you HSW, maybe someone else might know if there is...

Yeah by 'official material' i ment the material teaching us HSW..seems abit odd because they should have something atleast..
Reply 233

i dont know about hsw stuff, thats kind of juts going through the papers and seeing what comes up. i think there is a little bit in the cgp revision guide about interpreting data which is sort of the hsw things. but for the statistical tests you learn all of that stuff for the isa, this year. i did it a couple of weeks ago and we learnt:
-standard deviation + standard error
-spearmans rank
-chi squared

we covered them a little last year aswell before breaking up in year 12, so maybe there should have been some covering of them in class? :s-smilie:

hope that helped :smile: good luck in the exam.
Original post by Sam-8
i dont know about hsw stuff, thats kind of juts going through the papers and seeing what comes up. i think there is a little bit in the cgp revision guide about interpreting data which is sort of the hsw things. but for the statistical tests you learn all of that stuff for the isa, this year. i did it a couple of weeks ago and we learnt:
-standard deviation + standard error
-spearmans rank
-chi squared

we covered them a little last year aswell before breaking up in year 12, so maybe there should have been some covering of them in class? :s-smilie:

hope that helped :smile: good luck in the exam.

Ahh thanks, haven't done the ISA yet, theres my problem solved..
can we be asked to calculate kai sqaured and spearman ranked in unit 4? or do we only need 2 know about null hypothosis? thanks
Reply 236
Original post by StraightUpG
can we be asked to calculate kai sqaured and spearman ranked in unit 4? or do we only need 2 know about null hypothosis? thanks

You will only be asked to conduct a stastical test in the A2 ISA, BIO6T.
Reply 237
Are we likely to get ethical questions with regards to intensive rearing of livestock?
How does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? Ive been doing past papers and getting a B at only 55%, which seems odd, do you think they will be that low this time round?
Reply 239
Original post by Jamsterlavery
How does everyone think the grade boundaries will be? Ive been doing past papers and getting a B at only 55%, which seems odd, do you think they will be that low this time round?

If most of the previous ones have been like that, I can't see why they should choose to change it drastically in January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending