The Student Room Group

American war crimes.

Was just browsing fb and I saw this article, obviously written by some american soldier. It is related to the urination video which was posted here a couple of days back.
One interesting point that he raised is that we find the urinating offending but not the killing. Have we developed immunity to war crimes?

Do you think the world should allow US to continue with this.

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/jan/13/us-marines-video-urination-war-crime

edit- thread title is: American War Crimes.

More sources on war crimes committed by American soldiers:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/10/calvin-gibbs-soldier-_n_1087180.html
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/ju...iraq-j10.shtml
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terro...fghanistan-war
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is shooting at the enemy a war crime? Or pissing on their rotting remains?
Reply 3
Original post by Snagprophet
Is shooting at the enemy a war crime? Or pissing on their rotting remains?

Did you read the full article? There are other war crimes mentioned.

For the answer pissing is the war crime.
Reply 4
I find it just hilarious how much press and outrage this gets.

It's easy to forget those corpses pissed on are the corpses of people who behead and stone adulteresses, bomb civilian gatherings, kill teachers and destroy schools so girls cannot have an education, abduct, torture and behead aid workers and private contracters. Yeah. I didn't shed a tear for them.

Was it unproffesional? Yes. Should it have happened? No. Do I honestly care about the corpses of those people? Not one jot.
Reply 5
Original post by Steevee
I find it just hilarious how much press and outrage this gets.

It's easy to forget those corpses pissed on are the corpses of people who behead and stone adulteresses, bomb civilian gatherings, kill teachers and destroy schools so girls cannot have an education, abduct, torture and behead aid workers and private contracters. Yeah. I didn't shed a tear for them.

Was it unproffesional? Yes. Should it have happened? No. Do I honestly care about the corpses of those people? Not one jot.

No dead human being deserves to be treated that way. If US marine disrespects the dead the same way the terrorists do, what difference lies in their principles then?
Reply 6
Original post by scoutzawwar
No dead human being deserves to be treated that way. If US marine disrespects the dead the same way the terrorists do, what difference lies in their principles then?

Really? You're honestly making that argument?

You think pissing on a corpse makes them as bad as the people that intentionally target civilians? That stone women and men for being seen together if they're not married? It makes themk as bad as the people who kill men for teaching girls to read and write? It makes them as bad as the people that use women and children as human shields?

If you think pissing on a corpse is equal to those crimes then you sir, have one seriously ****ed up moral compass.
Original post by Steevee
Really? You're honestly making that argument?

You think pissing on a corpse makes them as bad as the people that intentionally target civilians? That stone women and men for being seen together if they're not married? It makes themk as bad as the people who kill men for teaching girls to read and write? It makes them as bad as the people that use women and children as human shields?

If you think pissing on a corpse is equal to those crimes then you sir, have one seriously ****ed up moral compass.

Your problem is that you are looking at morals relatively. The point is, urinating on someone is never right, whether they are dead or alive. Having the thoughts to urinate on someone is never right. The soldiers are bad people, or more correctly, they committed a morally wrong act.

There can be no excuse. It is always wrong to do that, and there can be no justification. The fact that terrorists are bad does not in any way negate the badness of urinating on someone.

The soldiers should face the full force of the law. All humans are human and while these terrorists may not be deserving of respect, they should still be accorded said respect, or morally the soldiers cannot claim any moral superiority.

They say, let those without sin be the first to throw stones. These soldiers most assuredly were not without sin, certainly no longer, and they should repent. I'm not religious, but my moral convictions are strong, and those soldiers have absolutely no defence.
Reply 8
Original post by Aequat omnes cinis
Your problem is that you are looking at morals relatively. The point is, urinating on someone is never right, whether they are dead or alive. Having the thoughts to urinate on someone is never right. The soldiers are bad people, or more correctly, they committed a morally wrong act.

There can be no excuse. It is always wrong to do that, and there can be no justification. The fact that terrorists are bad does not in any way negate the badness of urinating on someone.

The soldiers should face the full force of the law. All humans are human and while these terrorists may not be deserving of respect, they should still be accorded said respect, or morally the soldiers cannot claim any moral superiority.

They say, let those without sin be the first to throw stones. These soldiers most assuredly were not without sin, certainly no longer, and they should repent. I'm not religious, but my moral convictions are strong, and those soldiers have absolutely no defence.

Yes, what they did was wrong. Although not to any great extent, in my opinion. Yes, they should face some sort of disciplinary action. But I find the moral outrage laughable. As if this is some great crime, when it just isn't. Relativley or objectivley. Had those people been alive, then it would be a different matter, but they are corpses. Enemy corpses. I can see why those Marines did what they did. The people they are fighting are insidious, they follow no rules of combat and generally are scum.

But with all that in mind, I do not condone their action or defend it, I just think we need to keep a perspective on things.

And please, everyone commits morally wrong acts. I'm sure you do, you can't expect soldiers to be super human :lolwut:
Original post by Steevee
Yes, what they did was wrong. Although not to any great extent, in my opinion. Yes, they should face some sort of disciplinary action. But I find the moral outrage laughable. As if this is some great crime, when it just isn't. Relativley or objectivley. Had those people been alive, then it would be a different matter, but they are corpses. Enemy corpses. I can see why those Marines did what they did. The people they are fighting are insidious, they follow no rules of combat and generally are scum.

But with all that in mind, I do not condone their action or defend it, I just think we need to keep a perspective on things.

And please, everyone commits morally wrong acts. I'm sure you do, you can't expect soldiers to be super human :lolwut:

It was a most vile act. You do not need to be superhuman to realise urinating on another human is depraved and unacceptable. Listing the many crimes of their adversaries does not make it any less depraved. It is most definitely a crime. I would expect such behaviour from beasts, not apparently moral and disciplined elite soldiers of in their eyes 'the greatest free nation in the history of men' or whatever patriotic rubbish the american military comes out with.

I will repeat again. The crimes of their opponents does not mean they did not commit a crime and it does not diminish the moral wrong they committed.
(edited 12 years ago)
There is now evidence to suggest Donald Rumsfeld may have ordered children to be raped and sodomized in front of their parents for information.

These abuses have been documented on tape, in graphic pics and some have even gone to jail for it. Not Rumsfeld though.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/07/14/38300/-Kids-sodomized-at-Abu-Ghraib,-Pentagon-has-the-videos-Hersh

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/abughraib/151108.pdf

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/08/iraq/main616338.shtml

The worst is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking. The US Government is the most dangerous terror organisation in the world.
Reply 11
Original post by Aequat omnes cinis
It was a most vile act. You do not need to be superhuman to realise urinating on another human is depraved and unacceptable. Listing the many crimes of their adversaries does not make it any less depraved. It is most definitely a crime. I would expect such behaviour from beasts, not apparently moral and disciplined elite soldiers of in their eyes 'the greatest free nation in the history of men' or whatever patriotic rubbish the american military comes out with.

I will repeat again. The crimes of their opponents does not mean they did not commit a crime and it does not diminish the moral wrong they committed.

But you seem to totally reject any premise of mitigation due to the crimes of those indivuals to whom the corpses belong. There are a myriad of mitigating cirumstances for the soldiers. And as I have said, the act is not permissable, they should be punished, but to take moral outrage to the extremes, to even imply that they are on the same level as the enemy, is quite frankly, retarded beyond belief.
Reply 12
Original post by el scampio
There is now evidence to suggest Donald Rumsfeld may have ordered children to be raped and sodomized in front of their parents for information.

These abuses have been documented on tape, in graphic pics and some have even gone to jail for it. Not Rumsfeld though.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/07/14/38300/-Kids-sodomized-at-Abu-Ghraib,-Pentagon-has-the-videos-Hersh

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/abughraib/151108.pdf

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/08/iraq/main616338.shtml

The worst is the soundtrack of the boys shrieking. The US Government is the most dangerous terror organisation in the world.

Yep, the abuse of a handful of prisoners is certainly equal to bombing campaign targetting civilians regardless of nationality, age, gender or religion. :facepalm2:

You people annoy me so.

We can all agree that what happened there was disgusting, it should not have happened. But to try and compare it to the likes of AQ and every other Islamist and other terrorist group out there is pathetic.
Original post by scoutzawwar
Was just browsing fb and I saw this article, obviously written by some american soldier. It is related to the urination video which was posted here a couple of days back.
One interesting point that he raised is that we find the urinating offending but not the killing. Have we developed immunity to war crimes?

Do you think the world should allow US to continue with this.

http://apps.facebook.com/theguardian/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/jan/13/us-marines-video-urination-war-crime

edit- thread title is: American War Crimes.

soldiers shooting enemy combatants in the war on terror, whats the problem with that?

As for the urinating on - its a bit classless, but what does it matter really - they were dead terrorists/extremist combatants. I seem to recall al quada forces draggin some american corpes on the back of cars in iraq in the early days of the war - didnt see anyone get charged for that.
Original post by el scampio
So you think it's ok to rape 14 year old boys?

You are a danger to society.

I don't think he does believe that. The clue is as follows:

"We can all agree that what happened there was disgusting, it should not have happened"

Which is pretty much the opposite to what you gleaned.

You absolute mongoloid.
Original post by Steevee
But you seem to totally reject any premise of mitigation due to the crimes of those indivuals to whom the corpses belong. There are a myriad of mitigating cirumstances for the soldiers. And as I have said, the act is not permissable, they should be punished, but to take moral outrage to the extremes, to even imply that they are on the same level as the enemy, is quite frankly, retarded beyond belief.

They should be punished upon the severity of the crime. Nothing else should be take into account. The enemy didn't make them do it. Their own depraved minds who couldnt see it was wrong regardless of what crimes they had committed did it, and they should be judged on their minds.

There are no mitigating circumstances, there was no purpose in their actions except to humiliate the deaD, no lives saved, nothing at all good about the act

If a soldier can't handle war and it makes him pee on people, he should be taken off the front line
If I killed someone, id still go to jail, even if it was because the person I killed killed my friend. If I peed on someone because they peed on someone, i would sill go to jail

It doesnt matter what the terrorists did. They are dead. What matters is the actions of the soldiers
which were clearly wrong and depraved, if you cant understand that, meh

Is it easier if I invoke ghandi? An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind
It's true, always
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm upset that this occurred, but not surprised.
There is an ingrained hatred for the opposition on both sides in every conflict - vastly exaggerated when you're at the forefront of the conflict. That, and murder has strange and immunising effects on the human character.

The result is that these soldiers are calloused to the death of their opponents, to the point that they now rejoice in their deaths by defiling their corpses. This is not a new development, and it's not specific to either side in the conflict. Similar phenomenon can be observed in prisons with minimal regulation - the men with absolute power are warped into committing acts that they would not otherwise commit. Some circumstances affect humans dramatically. And that barbaric practice that we so insist on called "War" is definitely one of them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Its strange the response to the urination video of those American terrorists. Its soldiers pissed on the bodies of British terrorists the same people here, who don't seem to mind it would get mental.
Reply 18
Pissing on someone is NOT a war crime.

Don't dilute the term for your own political purposes.
Reply 19
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
soldiers shooting enemy combatants in the war on terror, whats the problem with that?

As for the urinating on - its a bit classless, but what does it matter really - they were dead terrorists/extremist combatants. I seem to recall al quada forces draggin some american corpes on the back of cars in iraq in the early days of the war - didnt see anyone get charged for that.

So because Al Qaeda dragged American corpses on the back of the car then...?

I don't see understand why the actions of Al Qaeda or the Muslim world in general should be used a moral barometer for the actions of our own troops.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending