The Student Room Group

Anyone interested in looking at my Portfolio?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks everyone for your support :smile: Wouldn't it be fun if they reject me tomorrow. Oops :biggrin:
Reply 21
That is a good looking portfolio as it demonstrates a lot of skill and creativity within drawing and model making. :biggrin:
Reply 22
Wow I know nothing about architecture but that is simply amazing. Props and best of luck on an offer!
Reply 23
Your style is certainly what jives with my mental impression of 'architect', though I think you could afford to loosen up with your drawings. Those of people especially. Now they look a bit like frozen masks. But technical skill is definitely there - you deserve to be accepted!
Reply 24
Original post by saeyan
Your style is certainly what jives with my mental impression of 'architect', though I think you could afford to loosen up with your drawings. Those of people especially. Now they look a bit like frozen masks. But technical skill is definitely there - you deserve to be accepted!

Hey thanks for that, much appreciated :smile: Are you on about the 2 paintings on the right with hands pulling on face?

Cause those 2 are for my "Maskaphobia causing Nightmare" project and meant to look emotionless like masks (so am I taking your comment as compliment or criticism?). You are right, though, I guess no one would have understood if I hadn't explained. I would next time now you told me so thanks a lot :tongue:
Reply 25
Very nice work.

One thing I would say is that most of your comments describe the work rather than the idea and the reasoning behind how you approach the work. Things like "as you can see I like to be precise with my pencil" but why do you like to be precise with a pencil? Is that why you use a pencil for that type of work because it's precise? Why not ink? What qualities does using a pencil bring to the work, not only to the physical work but also in you? etc.

Basically I think you need to be a bit more self-critical.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by KeyserNI
Very nice work.

One thing I would say is that most of your comments describe the work rather than the idea and the reasoning behind how you approach the work. Things like "as you can see I like to be precise with my pencil" but why do you like to be precise with a pencil? Is that why you use a pencil for that type of work because it's precise? Why not ink? What qualities does using a pencil bring to the work, not only to the physical work but also in you? etc.

Basically I think you need to be a bit more self-critical.

Thanks, I didnt see that at all :colondollar: Those are very valuable advice that I'll take on board. The reason why I didn't write a lot was because they wasnt really required by the uni, I just put them there to tell them what those are about so they tended to be very descriptive like you say, rather than actually telling them why I do those. I sort off wanted to keep them short and snappy but failed in the end. Will try harder next time. :colondollar:
Reply 27
Dude! I wish you the best of luck, just... wow.
Reply 28
That King Cobra :love:

How long did it take you?
Reply 29
I'll just add my "wow that's awesome" to the list.
Reply 30
Original post by Viet
Thanks, I didnt see that at all :colondollar: Those are very valuable advice that I'll take on board. The reason why I didn't write a lot was because they wasnt really required by the uni, I just put them there to tell them what those are about so they tended to be very descriptive like you say, rather than actually telling them why I do those. I sort off wanted to keep them short and snappy but failed in the end. Will try harder next time. :colondollar:

The majority of stuff you describe is evident from the work itself it's the deeper stuff that's harder to pull out but that's one of the things they are most interested in. Architecture is very subjective and is almost demonstrating process, how you got to that final drawing is as important as the drawing itself. That's what you want to get across.

Does that make sense?

I'm positive you'll be fine as what lots of schools want to see is raw talent but starting to think about things in a more meaningful and critical way will give you a huge head start next year.
Very nice, well done.
Reply 32
You're extremely talented and creative!! it's amazing.
Reply 33
No reason why you shouldn't get an interview. Good luck.
Reply 34
Original post by KeyserNI
The majority of stuff you describe is evident from the work itself it's the deeper stuff that's harder to pull out but that's one of the things they are most interested in. Architecture is very subjective and is almost demonstrating process, how you got to that final drawing is as important as the drawing itself. That's what you want to get across.

Does that make sense?

I'm positive you'll be fine as what lots of schools want to see is raw talent but starting to think about things in a more meaningful and critical way will give you a huge head start next year.

Yeah cheers it does make a lot of sense. I'm glad you mentioned those so I'll be more thoughtful next time with the text :smile:
I like it! Good luck, I'm pretty sure with your success.
Your pencil drawings are extremely beautiful. I have a question for you now, especially concerning the drawings with reflections in the sphere; how did you draw these, i.e, did you begin with observation, photograph it and continue, or did you consistently draw with observation and finished with your own memory of the details. I'm not quizzing you but want to know your process for when I'm honing my own drawing skills. Well done, definitely the best drawings I've come across.
Reply 37
Original post by PaperArchitect
Your pencil drawings are extremely beautiful. I have a question for you now, especially concerning the drawings with reflections in the sphere; how did you draw these, i.e, did you begin with observation, photograph it and continue, or did you consistently draw with observation and finished with your own memory of the details. I'm not quizzing you but want to know your process for when I'm honing my own drawing skills. Well done, definitely the best drawings I've come across.

Are these what you're on about?

Sorry but this will disappoint you big time :tongue: Only the small one (on black backing) on the left and the big still life one are mine (like idea and all), the others 3 are copies of MC Escher's works:colondollar: Thanks for your compliments but I'm not at that level yet. Escher is simply a genius. You can check out his artworks (mostly lithographic prints) and see how puny mine look next to those.

About tips on how to do the reflection, its quite simple really. I did a few influenced by that piece, basically I observed the scene and objects I wanted to include in the mirror, did a quick sketch of that on grid paper. Then start drawing the hand and the circle and add faint grid lines to it like this

And then just roughly transfer the sketch from the normal grid to the curved grid by reletive comparision. It doesn't have to be neat or spot on at this stage. The key is that IF it looks right to you BUT isn't exactly what the picture looks like, it will be fine. If you analyse the original by Escher with computer you'll see the back ground aren't all perfectly aligned, but they look right. Just make sure you exaggerate some parts, like the reflection of the arm and hand, so it looks a bit extreme. Then just spend about 3 hours like I did perfecting the details.
So yeah, make sure you check him out :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
That is amazing!
Regardless you have some talent, thanks for advice, will check him out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending