The Student Room Group

Lie to me - Do these work?

If anyone has seen the TV series 'Lie to me' i was wondering do most of it says on there work / is it true?
e.g.

-If your eyebrows go up, you know the answer to the question you're being asked.

-Hands get cold when you're close to getting caught of lying, because fight or flight response makes blood flow from extremities to your legs so you can run.

-You keep your hands in your pocket, because involuntarily you don't want to / cant show your palms.

Are any of these true ^^ If so which ones and are there any others that are awesome like this :biggrin:?
Reply 1
Apparently not. A lot of these actions are exhibited when you're nervous, particularly when you're in a position where you really need to come across as innocent.

A person lying actually makes more of a concious effort not to make any of these signs, and so a lack of them is arguably more telling.

That's the gist I got from a talk at Uni that covered this anyway.
Reply 2
I don't think there are really many/any universal tells of a liar, you've got to look at what is normal, truthful unconscious behaviour, and then notice when their unconscious behaviour deviates from this.
considering on lie to me the tv series the lead consultant was Dr Paul Ekman you might want to look him up on youtube and he has his own website here http://www.paulekman.com/ :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by aliluvschoc

A person lying actually makes more of a concious effort not to make any of these signs, and so a lack of them is arguably more telling.

If that was the case then every poker player would be caught with his bluff
Reply 5
I think people have different actions, when I'm guilty of something I somehow start feeling confident and when I'm innocent of something I tend to act extremely nervous for some reason lol.
Reply 6
Original post by S-man10
If that was the case then every poker player would be caught with his bluff

Remembering that poker players do this as something of a career, perhaps they're more able to pull it off. And in a poker game all participants would be acting in a similar way so that might effect the situation.

:hmmmm:

In playing poker for fun, players might more easily be able to call a bluff...

I don't know. I'm just guessing in response to that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending