The Student Room Group

NHS Genetics Medical Laboratory Assistant Interview tips?

Hi, I have an interview in the a Biochemical Genetics NHS laboratory soon. It is a band 3 post and I really need this job. I am currently working as a Band 2 MLA in a Cytology lab and I want to leave this place so I can get more practical hands-on lab experience. Does anyone have any interview tips? What could they possibly ask? I have researched a bit about the lab and read up on trust values, confidentiality and health and safety etc.
Thanks.
Go back through the person spec and make sure you have an example of how you meet every part of it. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by HealthcareSci
Go back through the person spec and make sure you have an example of how you meet every part of it. Good luck!

What if I don't have an example ? Do people just make things up ? I find incredibly difficult to lie..
Original post by SongBird2020
What if I don't have an example ? Do people just make things up ? I find incredibly difficult to lie..

Definitely don't lie. You must have something for most of them to have been shortlisted. Remember for band 3 it doesn't just have to be work examples. Or if you don't have an example make sure you have the knowledge that you would need in that situation.
Reply 4
Yeah you're right I probably do have examples. It's just that my mind goes blank in some situations and I panic and forget everything. It's just nerves more than anything! I really hope they don't get the better of me...
Yeah you're right I probably do have examples. It's just that my mind goes blank in some situations and I panic and forget everything. It's just nerves more than anything! I really hope they don't get the better of me...

That's why it's good to go through the person spec. Also, remember you are currently working as an MLA so you got through one interview and now you have even more experience.

I would also make sure you're fairly confident on UKAS and audits. Those are common questions to separate candidates if there are quite a few.
Reply 6
Original post by HealthcareSci
That's why it's good to go through the person spec. Also, remember you are currently working as an MLA so you got through one interview and now you have even more experience.

I would also make sure you're fairly confident on UKAS and audits. Those are common questions to separate candidates if there are quite a few.

Hi, would it be ok if I messaged you privately about something?

Thanks
Hi, would it be ok if I messaged you privately about something?

Thanks

Sure. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending