The Student Room Group

Graduate jobless ACCA?

I have a BSc in Accounting & Finance. No luck with jobs, been over 7 months now. Thinking of doing ACCA. Have registered with them and i have 5 exemptions. just wondering if anyone in the same boat as me...confused. Also if i take ACCA, should i take 1 paper or 2 papers? I am still going to look for job so suppose i take 2 and i find job then it will be hard to balance. I am so confused but i have to decide by today because i have to register with institution by tomorrow. Any advise/suggestions will be grateful. Thanks
You should be fine taking two papers even if you get a full time job as they should allow you leave for college.

I'm just not so sure you should take on the ACCA without a job, overqualified and under-experienced is a serious problem for a lot of people these days and you could find yourself trapped.

Employers like to put their grads through the professional qualifications and from what I've picked up are hesitant to employ a graduate who has already got the full qualification but has no experience.

My advice is to not waste today just on here, ring up some accounting firms or your old Uni, anyone who can give you some non biased advice.
Reply 2
What kind of jobs are you applying to and did you get any feedback?
Reply 3
Original post by Procerus
What kind of jobs are you applying to and did you get any feedback?

Graduate schemes. No feedback and i have mailed them twice but no response. Have been to 3 interviews but i guess its probably due to my confidence.
Reply 4
Original post by MikeySwansea
You should be fine taking two papers even if you get a full time job as they should allow you leave for college.

I'm just not so sure you should take on the ACCA without a job, overqualified and under-experienced is a serious problem for a lot of people these days and you could find yourself trapped.

Employers like to put their grads through the professional qualifications and from what I've picked up are hesitant to employ a graduate who has already got the full qualification but has no experience.

My advice is to not waste today just on here, ring up some accounting firms or your old Uni, anyone who can give you some non biased advice.

It's sunday today but i shall make some calls tomorrow. Thanks
Reply 5
Dude there are dozens of accounting graduate schemes out there and if you include those within industry (CIMA finance graduate programs) then we are talking comfortably triple digits.

Unless you're at the stage where you have rejections in the twenties you should just keep applying, working on your CV and covering letter and continually checking and improving the answers to the competency based questions asked.

I received over 40 rejections (mostly for finance roles) before receiving my two offers (Big 4 and FTSE 100 company finance grad scheme) and we aren't talking some half-assed applications either. I could quite easily spend 5 hours on an application only to be instantly rejected. On average (if you include interviews, online tests and assessment centres) I've spent 10-15 hours on each application.

It's a numbers game and going through various application processes will only make you stronger and more experienced. If you make 100 well thought out, targeted applications and haven't landed a job then you might have a reason to be worried otherwise man up and soldier on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Am in a similar situation to you but am not considering doing ACCA privately as it is just so costly as in the tuition and will be the same situation of having qualification but no work experience.

It is quite difficult at the moment but I am keeping positive and hoping something works out soon.
Reply 7
I feel your pain my friend! Rejections just seem to be the theme song of my life atm haha!

I'm hoping to find some other accounting firms to train with, and I'm not even fussy about the qualification anymore, I think that was partially my problem before...

I was considering starting the ACCA or ACA or any other qualification to show my commitment, and honestly I might end up doing that, but I am a tad bit worried about the whole 'over-qualified' thing... I'm wondering if finding some sort of accounting related job might be better... but then thats a mission in itself :frown:

heres hoping we find SOMETHING soon...
Original post by Regent
Dude there are dozens of accounting graduate schemes out there and if you include those within industry (CIMA finance graduate programs) then we are talking comfortably triple digits.

Unless you're at the stage where you have rejections in the twenties you should just keep applying, working on your CV and covering letter and continually checking and improving the answers to the competency based questions asked.

I received over 40 rejections (mostly for finance roles) before receiving my two offers (Big 4 and FTSE 100 company finance grad scheme) and we aren't talking some half-assed applications either. I could quite easily spend 5 hours on an application only to be instantly rejected. On average (if you include interviews, online tests and assessment centres) I've spent 10-15 hours on each application.

It's a numbers game and going through various application processes will only make you stronger and more experienced. If you make 100 well thought out, targeted applications and haven't landed a job then you might have a reason to be worried otherwise man up and soldier on.

that was a quality reply!
Original post by Regent

Couldn't have said it better myself tbh
Reply 10
This is crazy. I went to Kaplan today and oh my word. Just for one paper it cost me 1120..this includes tuition and revision with some exam kit. I am thinking is it really worth it? I am so confused.
Original post by yashradia
This is crazy. I went to Kaplan today and oh my word. Just for one paper it cost me 1120..this includes tuition and revision with some exam kit. I am thinking is it really worth it? I am so confused.

Definitely isn't worth it. Kaplan will say that it will make you more employable and give you the big sell because they want the money. You have a relevant degree so just keep applying for now.

Original post by Regent
x

May I ask how long after you graduated you got an acceptance offer? And what you did in the mean time? I'm in the same boat, have gotten to AC's for 4 jobs, got rejected after the initial application submission for many more and am just curious to hear a little more about your success story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending