The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Got a conditional today for Drama, but the conditions don't match what I'm sitting this year, doing 4 subjects, been offered a conditional on 5 so shall need to phone up!
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by Mr_Sainsburys
Hi everyone, this is my first post on TSR, (woot! woot!) :-) I've finally got all my offers back (pleased to say no unsuccessful choices) and I'm definatly wanting to go to Northumbria. I only live about 25 minutes from the main campus but I still want to stop in halls for my first year (can't wait to get away from the parents lol) so I'm looking at Camden Court, mainly because it has 'some' parking on site and I need to keep my car to get to work. If anyone has been in/lived there or knows someone who has then please drop me a message on this thread!

I'm also in a tricky position as to what course I am to choose at Northumbria. I've received conditional offers for both 'Web Design and Development' and 'Information Communication Management' but I don't know which one to choose! :s Info Comms has no written exams but as far as I know all modules for this course are core/compulsary (no optional modules) where as Web Design has exams :-( but has loads of options as to what modules you study! I've done ICT for 4 years now from GCSE to A level and love the subject but just don't know whether to branch off into Web Design or Info Comms? Again, if anyone is studying/has studied any one of these courses your comments would be appreciated! :-)

Many thanks!

Hello there,

I was a Web Design and Development student for my first two years of university. I'd only choose to do that course if you feel you would be comfortable with programming. The course is a lot more programming orientated than I first imagined and does get quite difficult if you aren't confident or at least knowledable on that sort of thing. I don't know a lot about the other course but if you feel that programming will be okay for you then go for it :smile: It is a good course, it just wasn't for me. I'm much more design focused rather than development/programming so I am now doing something more appropriate for me.
With regards to exams, I only recall having one lot of exams in my first year and that was for the module Relational Databases. There was also an exam in the second year with a different module but I don't think that exists anymore. It is definitely more practical based than examination. You have assignments but they are usually in the form of creating a product of some sort, whether that be a graphic design piece, a website, a flash game etc.
I hope this helps to clear things up a bit! Feel free to ask anything else.

Leanne
Reply 222
Original post by MJay91
Oh dear, this was me last year. If you have any questions regarding the halls, I live in Manor Bank, been to Albion House, Glenamara, New Bridge Street, Camden Court, and Victoria Halls. Good luck with your applications!

Which halls are the most vibrant and social in terms of freshers, being 18 I want to go into a place where everyone is in the same situation and wants to have fun
Reply 223
Firmed an unconditional offer for Computer Games Design and Production :smile:
Original post by Flynndog
Which halls are the most vibrant and social in terms of freshers, being 18 I want to go into a place where everyone is in the same situation and wants to have fun

Glenamara House has the reputation as the main party hall, followed by Camden Court. Avoid Lovaine Flats as this is the designated quiet hall, although the others on/near the campus should be more social than the ones further out.
After getting my results today i dont know what to do! I've had my heart set on northumbria for years but im just not sure i'll get in anymore =/ going to re-sit to bring my B up to an A in law but im still a bit unsure... :frown:
Has anyone heard back/got offers from any of the fashion courses yet ?x
Reply 227
I'm waiting to hear back from Northumbria aswell, what course did u apply for and when was your interview?
Original post by Rach899
I'm waiting to hear back from Northumbria aswell, what course did u apply for and when was your interview?[/QUO

My interview was on the 16th or feb for Fashion marketing, still havent heard back, what about you ? :smile:
Original post by Rach899
I'm waiting to hear back from Northumbria aswell, what course did u apply for and when was your interview?

My interview was on the 16th or feb for Fashion marketing, still havent heard back, what about you ? :smile:
Original post by MJay91
Oh dear, this was me last year. If you have any questions regarding the halls, I live in Manor Bank, been to Albion House, Glenamara, New Bridge Street, Camden Court, and Victoria Halls. Good luck with your applications!

I'm at Northumbria this year in student Halls.. the best halls are Victoria Halls, Manor Bank and New Bridge Street for niceness... this can work against you though if you want to have a 'wild' first year, you dont want nice halls that are going to get trashed and you will have to pay loads in repairs... Im in Glenamara Halls.. also known as the 'party halls' rooms are bigger than most and its fairly basic but you can do WHATEVER you want and no one really cares.. people are as friendly as you let them be, you will have to put yourself out there in freshers and just hope you get decent people in your flat! Good Luck!
had my eyes on the lovaine halls/flats cause they were cheap but then saw them on the open day....they dont even look inhabitable!

impressed with the uni overall though, firmed :smile:
Reply 232
Original post by bottlebankfashion

Very good:biggrin: my interview was on the 16th aswell but for Fashion Communication :smile: Its my last uni I have to hear from so I really want to know if I've got in. :smile:
Reply 233
Hi, just wondering if anyone has applied for Advertising Management? I went to an applicant day and what i didn't realise was that it was a small course and i was the only one that turned up! Also can anyone recommend any ensuite rooms please. Thanks
Has anyone applied for Criminology and Forensic Science? :biggrin:
Been given a conditional offer to study social work!!! This is going to be my firm, just wondering which accomidation would be best coach lane or the city. I want the best experience i possibly can so if anyone has any information this would be appreciated. Cheers
Original post by Rach899
Very good:biggrin: my interview was on the 16th aswell but for Fashion Communication :smile: Its my last uni I have to hear from so I really want to know if I've got in. :smile:

i got an offer yey ! hope you did too xx
Reply 237
Original post by bottlebankfashion
i got an offer yey ! hope you did too xx

Aww congrats:smile: what halls are you going to stay in?
I've received an unconditional offer and am accepting it as my firm.
I'm wondering about the Halls and which to go to.
I do not want to go to an overly loud "party" hall and I would love ensuite.

Does anyone know more about the Halls themselves - especially students who have already lived in the halls?

Victoria Hall sounds very nice.
Original post by Rach899
Aww congrats:smile: what halls are you going to stay in?

im hoping the en-suite ones i applied for new bridge street, manor bank, victoria but they cant allocate you a place until you have your results so its a long wait to hear which one your living in, where you thinking of applying ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending