The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Who did?

I think there is a famous account of him hitting Aisha in the chest.

Hit? That was a push, another case of poor translation-- common with foreign language sources. It was not violent by any means. Here is a post I stole:

"Struck" is a bad translation here. The word used is 'lahaza' , which could be translated as "Push" and at most "slap with an open palm" but not a hard, violent slap (and note translating it as "slap" is weaker and less probable). A correct translation would be:

- He pushed me (lahadani) in the chest (fi sadri) with a push (lahdatan)which made me sore (awja'atni).

It is very interesting to note that "pushing" of the Prophet does indeed convey meaning - usually to drive away evil influence and thought.

- Amir ibn Raba and Sahl ibn Hunayf went out to bathe. Amir took off his woolen robe. He [Sahl] narrates: "I looked at him and I cast the evil eye on him. He went down into the water then I heard a noise coming from him. I called out to him three times but there was no answer. I went to call the Messenger of Allah who came on foot and waded his way in the water. Then he slapped/pushed his chest with his hand, saying: "O Allah! drive away from him its heat and its coolness and its harm." Then he rose up and said: "If one of you sees something that pleases him in his brother -whether in his person or property - let him invoke blessing for him, for the evil eye is a reality."

(Tafsir ibn Kathir)

Similarly, in a narration it states:

- Ubbay said: There occurred in my mind a sort of denial which did not occur even during the Days of Ignorance. When the Messenger of Allah saw how I was affected, he slapped/pushed me on the chest. I broke into a sweat and felt as if I were looking at Allah in fear.

(Sahih Muslim)
Reply 21
Original post by silent ninja
Eh? If it were Islamic to beat your wife, and the Prophet wanted others to follow him to the letter, he'd openly advertise the fact he beats his wives. How else would he promote Islamic behaviour? His public AND private life is well documented down to his personal habits (by his wives, close friends and children).

No it is mot. its one of these hypocrite things in the islamic world everyone knows is allowed, as long as no one knows. and therefore men mist avoid the face when beating ( or put the women in burkas).
Original post by Kalb
No it is mot. its one of these hypocrite things in the islamic world everyone knows is allowed, as long as no one knows. and therefore men mist avoid the face when beating ( or put the women in burkas).

Who is this guy? A bloke with a beard and turban so he must be authority on the subject? Perhaps you so wholeheartedly trust his opinion due to prejudice against Muslims and the fact his views agree with your fears? It's a free world, anybody can claim to speak for a group and these TV channels very carefully pick guest speakers (Fox news is the extreme). If you did some proper research instead of sifting only the hate filled biased sources, you'd have a better understanding. But since you're not interested in that, knock yourself out.

There are as many Muslim people in the world as white people, to give you an idea of the scale. You wouldn't class white people as a homogeneous bunch would you? Muslims are a rich and very diverse population. You can find opinions on any issue. But then there is the idea of consensus and majority opinion when it comes to scholarly rulings, and you'll only get a feel for that by investigating many sources, not just cherry picking the fringes and extremes.
(edited 12 years ago)

Yeah women in Saudi Arabia are so liberated they cannot even drive a car...
Reply 24
Original post by Cyanohydrin
Yeah women in Saudi Arabia are so liberated they cannot even drive a car...

What's the got to do with Islam? Women drive in Pakistan don't they.
Original post by fitzy.
What's the got to do with Islam? Women drive in Pakistan don't they.

I don't personally believe it has anything to do with Islam, I don't have a problem with Islam.
Reply 26
Eh? If it were Islamic to beat your wife, and the Prophet wanted others to follow him to the letter, he'd openly advertise the fact he beats his wives. How else would he promote Islamic behaviour? His public AND private life is well documented down to his personal habits (by his wives, close friends and children).

Also in your OP you say this is a new book (it's last century) which leads me to believe you have no clue and are simply islamaphobic. Your article has no substance.

Mohammed, the most perfect bestestest Muslim who ever lived beat Aisha, his favourite wife. Muslims who aren't victims of extreme cognitive dissonance accept this:

http://www.mukto-mona.com/Articles/kasem/wife_beating.htm

So if Mo Mo beat his wives, and he is the example you follow, then you probably should too... That, or realise Islam is a false religion made up to solidify the power of a warlord :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Cyanohydrin
I don't personally believe it has anything to do with Islam, I don't have a problem with Islam.

In response to a post where someone said ''Islam liberated women'' you mentioned Saudi ...
Original post by Elipsis
Mohammed, the most perfect bestestest Muslim who ever lived beat Aisha, his favourite wife. Muslims who aren't victims of extreme cognitive dissonance accept this:

So if Mo Mo beat his wives, and he is the example you follow, then you probably should too... That, or realise Islam is a false religion made up to solidify the power of a warlord :smile:

Replied to that earlier. No beating was involved. It was a push. Your basis is a translated book with an incorrect translation.
you got that from the dailymail. nuff said
Reply 30
Replied to that earlier. No beating was involved. It was a push. Your basis is a translated book with an incorrect translation.

Original post by Elipsis

Khadija was his first and favourite, no?
Reply 31

I doubt that, when Muslims who are far more educated in both Islam and Arabic than you are disagree... You are just bending the translation to worm your way out of it. Aisha stated that he caused her pain whether it was a push or a hit, so that must mean it's OK to do it. Are you one of those people who also argues that it is perfectly possible for a child to consent to sex, as long as she has bled out of her vagina of course?
Reply 32
Here are 6 different translations of Quaran verse 4:34, all from recognised and respected scholars in Islam:
[INDENT]Men are superior to women on account of the qualities with which God has gifted the one above the other, and on account of the outlay they make from their substance for them. Virtuous women are obedient, careful, during the husband's absence, because God has of them been careful. But chide those for whose refractoriness you have cause to fear; remove them into beds apart, and scourge them: but if they are obedient to you, then seek not occasion against them: verily, God is High, Great! Rodwell[1]
[/INDENT]
['Refractoriness' means hard or impossible to manage, stubbornly disobedient'].[INDENT]Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme. Dawood[2]
Men are in charge of women, because Allah has made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah has guarded. As for those from whom you fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High Exalted, Great. Pickthall[3]
Men are the managers of the affairs of women for that God has preferred in bounty one of them over another, and for that they have expended of their property. Righteous women are therefore obedient, guarding the secret for God's guarding. And those you fear may be rebellious admonish; banish them to their couches, and beat them. If they then obey you, look not for any way against them; God is All high, All great. Arberry[4]
Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. Shakir[5]
Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whom part you fear disloyalty and ill conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance) for Allah is Most High, Great (above you all). Ali[6]

Here is the haddith behind the verse:
Razi's commentary, "At-Tafsir al-Kabir," on 4:34
"A women complained to Muhammad that her husband slapped her on the face, (which was still marked by the slap). At first the prophet said to her: "Get even with him", but then added: "Wait until I think about it". Later on, Allah supposedly revealed 4:34 to Muhammad, after which the prophet said: "We wanted one thing but Allah wanted another, and what Allah wanted is best."[7]

[/INDENT]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by fitzy.
Khadija was his first and favourite, no?

I have heard many more people say Aisha was his favourite wife (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha). Indeed many more people seemed to be named after her than Khadija. She was more of just a financier for him to get the whole thing off the ground.
Reply 34
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Why are you shocked?

Every man/woman with a brain knows women are treated worse than filth in muslim countires. To say they aren't is laughable.

I was been sarcastic
Reply 35
Original post by Elipsis
I have heard many more people say Aisha was his favourite wife (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha). Indeed many more people seemed to be named after her than Khadija. She was more of just a financier for him to get the whole thing off the ground.

More people could say the world is flat, doesn't mean it's true.
There will always be stuff like this - it doesn't mean they represent the views of the majority or even that a minority take them seriously.
Reply 37
I think it's much more of a concern about what's actually happening on the ground than what someone's beliefs are. Would it not be more important for an English newspaper to highlight the astronomical levels of domestic violence in the UK and how the effects of cuts could effectively reduce women services.
Original post by PoGo HoPz
And kinky. :colone:

looooooooooooooooooool
Lol

Face palm.

A miswak is a stick now? It's a bloody toothbrush! There's no sense in going through and refuting piece by piece. You see what you want to see and the DM plays to the xenophobic, islamaphobic and intolerant crowd (ironically whilst they preach tolerance).

If you are gonna post something that claims Islam advocates violence against women, please post evidence rather than the DM's arbitrary claim that in "some interpretations of the Koran, domestic violence is allowed in Sharia Law." That's neither here nor there. In addition using a third book (which is probably a century old), that is nither the Quran or Hadith, further backed up by cultural and specific cherry picked cases that are at best loosely connected with Islam (did you see how they cleverly mentioned honour killings? Sprinkled some Muslim sounding names? Where is the proof this is condoned in Islam?), does not bolster the case-- it's a laughably weak link and they've simply juxtaposed it.

If you want 'cultural' stats, here are some: 45% of British women have experienced domestic violence, sexual abuse or stalking, 70% of domestic violence against women result in an injury, 40% of all female homicides are by a partner. Sounds like domestic violence is live and kicking in Britain. Now let me look for a tenuous link to Christianity or being white, since that's the DM methodology...:rolleyes:

Yes daiy mail is a xenophobic and paranoia inducing publication that generally writes garbage. BUT even a broken watch is right twice a day. It happens to be right about islamic subjugation of women in this case - and various islamic scripture, clerics and amirs state practices to beat and control behaviour of women.

Latest

Trending

Trending