The Student Room Group

Please help me

My friend is really starting to get on my nerves and I can tell the friendship is becoming toxic
Here are some things that she does:
- gets jealous of my achievements
- apologises for things without sincerity
- compare me to other people
- talks bad about me behind my back
- makes me feel as though I constantly need to change myself to suit her
- makes all the friendship about her
- plays the victim
- acts hypocritical (eg rude and disrespectful but if I act the same way she tells everyone I’m rude)
- always mad at me for no reason
- talks bad about my other friends to me
- ignores me
- tries to get my friends to not like me
- compliments and acts all friendly with other people but just acts rude and ignores me as if I’m not there
- hurts my feelings by asking people if she can swap seats with them in class and stuff

I know I should just drop her as she’s just being a total idiot but I can’t because it would just destroy the friendship group

She’s really judgmental about everyone and even people who I’m close with yet she has the audacity to talk bad about them towards me

However she is nice as well, kind of, she bought me a present and stuff and wrapped it all up nicely as a new years gift

I know a new years gift isn’t a reason to stay friends with someone toxic but I always feel like it’s my fault and I just don’t know what to do

I don’t really want to stay friends with her because I find that me and my friend are always trying to make ourselves seem better so that she doesn’t think we’re weird or whatever

Recently she said she doesn’t want to hang out with a girl because she’s popular and she doesn’t want to be weird

Don’t judge me guys and say that I should just drop her but its not that easy because our friendship group would have to split and people would need to pick sides

I know I’m not going to drop her in the near future but I just want to get some advice about this girl
I'm assuming you've already tried talking to her, and it didn't work... either that, or you know she won't listen.

In that case, IMHO, all you can realistically do is try and distance yourself from her. By this I mean, spending more time with other people in the group... but remaining civil to her when you have to interact.

By being civil, even if you don't like the person, you're still polite enough to her when you have to interact with her (in most cases, it's more for the benefit of other people in the group, so this way, they don't need to feel awkward or have to take sides, as you said).

Typically, it's a gradual process that would need to be done over a few weeks (if not months). Obviously it depends on how close you are / were, but if you dropped her like a hot potato, it's bound to cause ripples in the group. Although it should be feasible if your group is large enough.
Reply 2
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I'm assuming you've already tried talking to her, and it didn't work... either that, or you know she won't listen.

In that case, IMHO, all you can realistically do is try and distance yourself from her. By this I mean, spending more time with other people in the group... but remaining civil to her when you have to interact.

By being civil, even if you don't like the person, you're still polite enough to her when you have to interact with her (in most cases, it's more for the benefit of other people in the group, so this way, they don't need to feel awkward or have to take sides, as you said).

Typically, it's a gradual process that would need to be done over a few weeks (if not months). Obviously it depends on how close you are / were, but if you dropped her like a hot potato, it's bound to cause ripples in the group. Although it should be feasible if your group is large enough.

Yeah, It’s really difficult to put some sense into her because she takes it all wrong and gets mad at me.

I feel like sometimes her personality is rubbing off on me, she always talks bad about people and I end up joining in so I don’t get left out. Sometimes its even my friends she talks about and I feel so bad after but like I said I don’t want to be left out of everything.

I have been spending more time with other people in the group and she’s noticed, she’s being really childish about it and keeps pulling people away to talk to them ‘privately’. I don’t really care about all that, but there’s this one girl who she always complains to about me, and I one overheard her saying me and my other friend hang out together and that’s the reason she hates school.

In general, I’m quite an angry person, and I don’t want to stay near her much because everything she does makes me just want to scream at her. Like I’m sorry but she can’t control everything I do. I haven’t said anything to her so far, but she has noticed me roll my eyes and saying stuff under my breath that I wouldn’t usually say to her

I just don’t want her toxic mentality to rub of on me. I used to not talk bad about anyone and be chill with everyone but her talking bad about people has started to make me hate people and so on, and I constantly feel like I need to add something to 5ge conversation so she doesn’t leave me out. I know everyone talks bad about everyone, but I feel like she does it way too often.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Yeah, It’s really difficult to put some sense into her because she takes it all wrong and gets mad at me.

I feel like sometimes her personality is rubbing off on me, she always talks bad about people and I end up joining in so I don’t get left out. Sometimes its even my friends she talks about and I feel so bad after but like I said I don’t want to be left out of everything.

I have been spending more time with other people in the group and she’s noticed, she’s being really childish about it and keeps pulling people away to talk to them ‘privately’. I don’t really care about all that, but there’s this one girl who she always complains to about me, and I one overheard her saying me and my other friend hang out together and that’s the reason she hates school.

In general, I’m quite an angry person, and I don’t want to stay near her much because everything she does makes me just want to scream at her. Like I’m sorry but she can’t control everything I do. I haven’t said anything to her so far, but she has noticed me roll my eyes and saying stuff under my breath that I wouldn’t usually say to her

I just don’t want her toxic mentality to rub of on me. I used to not talk bad about anyone and be chill with everyone but her talking bad about people has started to make me hate people and so on, and I constantly feel like I need to add something to 5ge conversation so she doesn’t leave me out. I know everyone talks bad about everyone, but I feel like she does it way too often.

Today has been making me so paranoid
She has been talking to all the popular people and playing the victim. She’s been twisting everything around to garner sympathy from everyone else. Two people have come up to me today to tell me to stop ignoring her and to be her friend, even though she was the one ignoring me in the first place. In lunch all I was hearing was her and the other girls whispering whilst looking at me and I don’t even think they have anything to talk bad about me because I’ve not done anything to her. She’s clearly made some rumours about me, and it’s making me overthink. I don’t want to carry on being her friend but I don’t know how to tell her. I know everyone will think of me in the wrong if I drop her but I don’t want to stay friends with such a negative person. I don’t tend to tell teachers about stuff when I get into fights and arguments but I think I’m going to tell my head of year tomorrow even if it turns into a big deal.

Rather than actively b******g about other people, maybe just be polite and nod along with whatever she's rabbiting on about. Do any of your friends know that there are "issues" between the two of you? With this girl she likes to gossip with you about, have you tried putting your point of view to her?

So you say you're an angry person... do you have an outlet for that at all? It's not good to have all that anger bottled up, as it can affect everything you do. I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, but exercise can be a great outlet for all your angers / frustration (as well as the obvious health benefits). Still there are other ways to deal with it (e.g. meditation), you just need to find what you think will work for you.
She has been talking to all the popular people and playing the victim. She’s been twisting everything around to garner sympathy from everyone else. Two people have come up to me today to tell me to stop ignoring her and to be her friend, even though she was the one ignoring me in the first place. In lunch all I was hearing was her and the other girls whispering whilst looking at me and I don’t even think they have anything to talk bad about me because I’ve not done anything to her. She’s clearly made some rumours about me, and it’s making me overthink. I don’t want to carry on being her friend but I don’t know how to tell her. I know everyone will think of me in the wrong if I drop her but I don’t want to stay friends with such a negative person. I don’t tend to tell teachers about stuff when I get into fights and arguments but I think I’m going to tell my head of year tomorrow even if it turns into a big deal.

NGL, it's posts and drama like this that sometimes makes me think "Thank God I'm a guy", as things are so much simpler.

Things are far simpler... either we like someone, or we don't. And if we don't like them, we just give each other space, but we seldom inflict our drama / politics on others. As I said in my first post, we can still be civil and be in the same group, so as not to make things awkward for the others.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Im going to be so honest with u, ur friend reminds me of my old bff and gosh ur life will be so much better after u leave her.

The first few weeks will be tough, rumours will spread, people you thought were your friend will leave you, everyones goint to be rigid around you and you might even have problems with your group. Ignore it, take the time to study or find a new hobby. There will be ppl who are willing to talk to you despite the rumours, hang out with them.

But do not go back to being friends with her especially if she's draining you. Be careful about what you say about her (don't spread stuff, don't mention bad things about her) and be careful who you say it to. I told one of my old.friends about my old bff thinking 'she's fine, i trust her and we've even mentioned how we both slightly dislike her' but she ended up not only telling my old bff, but the whole year.

Life gets better and once skl is over you won't even remember it as badly as you will feel for the first few weeks.
I dont understand what you want us to suggest if not that you drop her, why are you concerned about the group being split? The friends who take her side were never your friends in the first place vice versa.
Litch drop her, draining yourself for what? Keep your peace and hang out with those who understand you. No need for a friend in anyone's life where you have to better yourself to match them. That's not a friend, that's unwanted competition
Reply 8
Rather than actively b******g about other people, maybe just be polite and nod along with whatever she's rabbiting on about. Do any of your friends know that there are "issues" between the two of you? With this girl she likes to gossip with you about, have you tried putting your point of view to her?

So you say you're an angry person... do you have an outlet for that at all? It's not good to have all that anger bottled up, as it can affect everything you do. I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching, but exercise can be a great outlet for all your angers / frustration (as well as the obvious health benefits). Still there are other ways to deal with it (e.g. meditation), you just need to find what you think will work for you.

Yeah I don’t really talk about my feelings to anyone else because they won’t understand how I actually feel and just judge me about it, that’s what my previous friends have done. However, today I got annoyed and started half shouting at her because what she was saying made me really angry. But what makes me feel even more annoyed is that she just laughed when I shouted at her, but I just left it and stopped talking.
Reply 9
NGL, it's posts and drama like this that sometimes makes me think "Thank God I'm a guy", as things are so much simpler.

Things are far simpler... either we like someone, or we don't. And if we don't like them, we just give each other space, but we seldom inflict our drama / politics on others. As I said in my first post, we can still be civil and be in the same group, so as not to make things awkward for the others.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah the thing is I would love to be like that with her and just be civil but she’s the one who creates the whole thing into drama, she’s the one who told all the popular girls and started all the rumours, and she’s the one who kept ignoring me in the first place, and I just can’t sit there and let her ruin all of my other friendships and the way people think of me so I say something and she starts crying and saying she wants to be my friend, basically playing the victim, so it’s easy to say just be civil, but there’s a whole load of drama that comes with it to get to that point when you can just talk normally again.

I’m 14 by the way
Reply 10
Original post by limbobimbo

Im going to be so honest with u, ur friend reminds me of my old bff and gosh ur life will be so much better after u leave her.

The first few weeks will be tough, rumours will spread, people you thought were your friend will leave you, everyones goint to be rigid around you and you might even have problems with your group. Ignore it, take the time to study or find a new hobby. There will be ppl who are willing to talk to you despite the rumours, hang out with them.

But do not go back to being friends with her especially if she's draining you. Be careful about what you say about her (don't spread stuff, don't mention bad things about her) and be careful who you say it to. I told one of my old.friends about my old bff thinking 'she's fine, i trust her and we've even mentioned how we both slightly dislike her' but she ended up not only telling my old bff, but the whole year.

Life gets better and once skl is over you won't even remember it as badly as you will feel for the first few weeks.
Yeah today she was talking to a girl and they were discussing who should apologise first, (my friend overheard) but I wasn’t the one who did anything wrong, she’s the one who was giving silent teatment for no reason and then playing the victim, on top of all that she had been backbiting about me to my friend.

But yeah she said that I wasn’t letting my best friend talk to her when I’m not even in half of the lessons they have together, and in lunch and break we all hang out anyways. I never stop them from talking, unlike what she does when she says ‘I need to chat privately’ like how old are you? 6?
Original post by limbobimbo

Yeah today she was talking to a girl and they were discussing who should apologise first, (my friend overheard) but I wasn’t the one who did anything wrong, she’s the one who was giving silent teatment for no reason and then playing the victim, on top of all that she had been backbiting about me to my friend.

But yeah she said that I wasn’t letting my best friend talk to her when I’m not even in half of the lessons they have together, and in lunch and break we all hang out anyways. I never stop them from talking, unlike what she does when she says ‘I need to chat privately’ like how old are you? 6?

LMFAO she's trying to drag your friend away from you, hopefully ur friend is a true one and sticks with you. Very petty behaviour but honestly this situation is very much giving 15 yr olds at a girls skl 😭
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #2

LMFAO she's trying to drag your friend away from you, hopefully ur friend is a true one and sticks with you. Very petty behaviour but honestly this situation is very much giving 15 yr olds at a girls skl 😭
Yeah, I also hope so. From what I know my friend isn’t contributing in any of their gossip and stuff, but I thought my other friend was kind and sweet but she ended up listening in on our conversation when we aren’t talking to her and then repeating everything we’ve said to the other girl

I can’t be bothered with everyone’s fake personalities anymore. I literally thought we were friends and she just acted so stupid, the fact she knew everything going on and then just acting dumb when we tell her to confront it all. I’m just gonna call them out whenever they do anything now because they need to know when they’re acting stupid.

The only thing I really hope is that my two closest friends don’t turn against me either.

Today I told her how she was acting and she said I was bringing up old stuff even though it was stuff that had only happened this term and she kept on gaslighting and stuff. I told her she was being two faced and then she was like ‘I’ve never spoken bad about anyone’ and then people were saying “she’s not two faced she was sticking up for you” but to my other friend she was saying all that bad stuff about me
Also, there’s this one girl who she always talks about and says “my parents said not to be friends with her, she’s so rude blah blah” but then she was literally crying on her shoulder and acting all sad to her and stuff. And then also, people who weren’t even involved were picking sides, and guess what? Everyone picked her side, going over and hugging her and saying don’t worry and stuff. I felt hurt that not a single person acknowledged that I felt hurt how everyone went to her to ask about her while I just sat with my friend on the other side of the room and she was playing victim, this happened with me in primary school as well, I was always the bad guy for acting rude.
Reply 13

Yeah, I also hope so. From what I know my friend isn’t contributing in any of their gossip and stuff, but I thought my other friend was kind and sweet but she ended up listening in on our conversation when we aren’t talking to her and then repeating everything we’ve said to the other girl

I can’t be bothered with everyone’s fake personalities anymore. I literally thought we were friends and she just acted so stupid, the fact she knew everything going on and then just acting dumb when we tell her to confront it all. I’m just gonna call them out whenever they do anything now because they need to know when they’re acting stupid.

The only thing I really hope is that my two closest friends don’t turn against me either.

Today I told her how she was acting and she said I was bringing up old stuff even though it was stuff that had only happened this term and she kept on gaslighting and stuff. I told her she was being two faced and then she was like ‘I’ve never spoken bad about anyone’ and then people were saying “she’s not two faced she was sticking up for you” but to my other friend she was saying all that bad stuff about me
Also, there’s this one girl who she always talks about and says “my parents said not to be friends with her, she’s so rude blah blah” but then she was literally crying on her shoulder and acting all sad to her and stuff. And then also, people who weren’t even involved were picking sides, and guess what? Everyone picked her side, going over and hugging her and saying don’t worry and stuff. I felt hurt that not a single person acknowledged that I felt hurt how everyone went to her to ask about her while I just sat with my friend on the other side of the room and she was playing victim, this happened with me in primary school as well, I was always the bad guy for acting rude.
Yeah, I also hope so. From what I know my friend isn’t contributing in any of their gossip and stuff, but I thought myother friend was kind and sweet but she ended up listening in on our conversation when we aren’t talking to her andthen repeating everything we’ve said to the other girlI can’t be bothered with everyone’s fake personalities anymore. I literally thought we were friends and she just actedso stupid, the fact she knew everything going on and then just acting dumb when we tell her to confront it all. I’m justgonna call them out whenever they do anything now because they need to know when they’re acting stupid.The only thing I really hope is that my two closest friends don’t turn against me either.Today I told her how she was acting and she said I was bringing up old stuff even though it was stuff that had onlyhappened this term and she kept on gaslighting and stuff. I told her she was being two faced and then she was like‘I’ve never spoken bad about anyone’ and then people were saying “she’s not two faced she was sticking up for you”but to my other friend she was saying all that bad stuff about meAlso, there’s this one girl who she always talks about and says “my parents said not to be friends with her, she’s sorude blah blah” but then she was literally crying on her shoulder and acting all sad to her and stuff. And then also,people who weren’t even involved were picking sides, and guess what? Everyone picked her side, going over andhugging her and saying don’t worry and stuff. I felt hurt that not a single person acknowledged that I felt hurt howeveryone went to her to ask about her while I just sat with my friend on the other side of the room and she wasplaying victim, this happened with me in primary school as well, I was always the bad guy for acting rude.
Reply 14
Yeah, I also hope so. From what I know my friend isn’t contributing in any of their gossip and stuff, but I thought myother friend was kind and sweet but she ended up listening in on our conversation when we aren’t talking to her andthen repeating everything we’ve said to the other girlI can’t be bothered with everyone’s fake personalities anymore. I literally thought we were friends and she just actedso stupid, the fact she knew everything going on and then just acting dumb when we tell her to confront it all. I’m justgonna call them out whenever they do anything now because they need to know when they’re acting stupid.The only thing I really hope is that my two closest friends don’t turn against me either.Today I told her how she was acting and she said I was bringing up old stuff even though it was stuff that had onlyhappened this term and she kept on gaslighting and stuff. I told her she was being two faced and then she was like‘I’ve never spoken bad about anyone’ and then people were saying “she’s not two faced she was sticking up for you”but to my other friend she was saying all that bad stuff about meAlso, there’s this one girl who she always talks about and says “my parents said not to be friends with her, she’s sorude blah blah” but then she was literally crying on her shoulder and acting all sad to her and stuff. And then also,people who weren’t even involved were picking sides, and guess what? Everyone picked her side, going over andhugging her and saying don’t worry and stuff. I felt hurt that not a single person acknowledged that I felt hurt howeveryone went to her to ask about her while I just sat with my friend on the other side of the room and she wasplaying victim, this happened with me in primary school as well, I was always the bad guy for acting rude.
Okay, YOU need to one stop confronting ppl. I used to think confrontation was the way but all it does is make you seem like the bad guy, no one will care for your side of the story is there's a 'jucier' side. So stop confronting them, let them carry on with the rumours, maybe once or twice start crying to the point where ppl ask you what's wrong, then mention ab how fake the rumours are, exaggerate a bit bout maybe what they said to you. This will help you look like the victim you are.

And honestly, in year 10/11 you will really find out who your friends actually are and aren't. I just hope you won't do what i did (which was oversharing with people i thought i could trust). Dont complain about anyone to anyone, don't talk about ur old friends and the easiest way to drop someone is to distance urself. This way no one can say anything nor will anyone force you to be friends.

Don't be rude, be nice, act sorry but never apologise. Dont admit you're the bad person, but don't show others that you are either

Also be careful that you friend telling you all the nasty about her is actually saying the truth.

I agree with anonymous #2 and I'd also like to mention that, if anyone is telling you **** about their 'friend', don't just trust them because their confiding in you. They're probably sharing all the stuff you told them to others too. Those type of people you really cant trust.
My friend is really starting to get on my nerves and I can tell the friendship is becoming toxic
Here are some things that she does:
- gets jealous of my achievements
- apologises for things without sincerity
- compare me to other people
- talks bad about me behind my back
- makes me feel as though I constantly need to change myself to suit her
- makes all the friendship about her
- plays the victim
- acts hypocritical (eg rude and disrespectful but if I act the same way she tells everyone I’m rude)
- always mad at me for no reason
- talks bad about my other friends to me
- ignores me
- tries to get my friends to not like me
- compliments and acts all friendly with other people but just acts rude and ignores me as if I’m not there
- hurts my feelings by asking people if she can swap seats with them in class and stuff

I know I should just drop her as she’s just being a total idiot but I can’t because it would just destroy the friendship group

She’s really judgmental about everyone and even people who I’m close with yet she has the audacity to talk bad about them towards me

However she is nice as well, kind of, she bought me a present and stuff and wrapped it all up nicely as a new years gift

I know a new years gift isn’t a reason to stay friends with someone toxic but I always feel like it’s my fault and I just don’t know what to do

I don’t really want to stay friends with her because I find that me and my friend are always trying to make ourselves seem better so that she doesn’t think we’re weird or whatever

Recently she said she doesn’t want to hang out with a girl because she’s popular and she doesn’t want to be weird

Don’t judge me guys and say that I should just drop her but its not that easy because our friendship group would have to split and people would need to pick sides

I know I’m not going to drop her in the near future but I just want to get some advice about this girl

Stop being her friend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending