The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tobia_s
Brilliant effort mate. Sounds almost like the original except for the obvious tweaks here and there :yes: ah i've got a lot of work to do i reckon. Let's see how it goes :redface:

just stalked your soundcloud page too :colondollar: decent stuff you got on there i must say. How long you been playing for?

I actually think my guitar was out of tune slightly too -- I think the D string sounds a little bit off. Ah well. It's a great song for practising your bends and vibrato too.

Cheers! Some very rough stuff up there too: sometimes if I learn something I'll just record it and throw it up there to listen to later. Been playing for about four years, but only properly and seriously for the past two; before then I'd maybe pick up a guitar once a week or something.
Original post by GingerGoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-E1SaDrHJQ&ob=av3e

Cba getting the nice embedded link to work :tongue:

****ing amazing :heart:

the guitar was a bit painful though
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JordanR
I actually think my guitar was out of tune slightly too -- I think the D string sounds a little bit off. Ah well. It's a great song for practising your bends and vibrato too.

Cheers! Some very rough stuff up there too: sometimes if I learn something I'll just record it and throw it up there to listen to later. Been playing for about four years, but only properly and seriously for the past two; before then I'd maybe pick up a guitar once a week or something.

My god....I've been playing for about ten years now, and you are considerably better than me.

*goes in a corner and weeps*

I do play fairly often, but I don't really challenge myself to learn anything just beyond my comfort zone, so my ability stagnates.
Reply 9403
Original post by JordanR

Oh stop it you; it was awesome. Tone-wise too. What pickups are in the LP? Or what amp and/or effects set-up did you use?

I've become quite accustomed to economy picking and using PG's 'outside' picking style feels very weird. Err I don't know how to explain but it just does :colondollar: and it feels like the style is marginally slower than economy picking. Is it too soon to judge after spending just a few hours on PG's style?

Also gonna go up a string guage; to "challenge" my fingers :colone:
Original post by Manitude
My god....I've been playing for about ten years now, and you are considerably better than me.

*goes in a corner and weeps*

I do play fairly often, but I don't really challenge myself to learn anything just beyond my comfort zone, so my ability stagnates.

My ability stayed pretty static for a while, until I actively tried to learn things that I couldn't play. If I ever feel like I'm a good guitar player I try and learn something incredibly difficult to shut my ego up. :tongue:
Original post by Tobia_s
Oh stop it you; it was awesome. Tone-wise too. What pickups are in the LP? Or what amp and/or effects set-up did you use?

I've become quite accustomed to economy picking and using PG's 'outside' picking style feels very weird. Err I don't know how to explain but it just does :colondollar: and it feels like the style is marginally slower than economy picking. Is it too soon to judge after spending just a few hours on PG's style?

Also gonna go up a string guage; to "challenge" my fingers :colone:

No idea about the pickups, it's an old (1974) Japanese-made Les Paul that I bought for £75 locally. Great guitar, though. Recorded it using Amplitube 3 software. Was using 0.6mm Tortex picks (the orange ones!).

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask since any sort of economy picking completely blows my mind. :tongue: I think saying that PG's picking style is a bit slower than economy picking is pretty... unfair too, considering PG's probably known mostly for his insane picking. I think they're just as fast as one another, but you get a much different sound from them. Alternate/outside picking gives you the staccato sound that I like.

Really, though, I can't economy pick for crap. Or sweep for crap. Anything more than four strings = not good (although I can do an ascending 5 string sweep fairly well). Here is Castle Dragon on my new (and better suited!) guitar. :smile:

I like heavier strings, generally. I'm using Hybrid Slinky strings on my 25.5" scale length guitar just now. I think heavier, tighter strings help with your picking, but I didn't play for a bit and my finger calluses went down so I couldn't go for straight Slinky strings. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9405
Original post by JordanR

No idea about the pickups, it's an old (1974) Japanese-made Les Paul that I bought for £75 locally. Great guitar, though. Recorded it using Amplitube 3 software. Was using 0.6mm Tortex picks (the orange ones!).

Well, I'm the wrong person to ask since any sort of economy picking completely blows my mind. :tongue: I think saying that PG's picking style is a bit slower than economy picking is pretty... unfair too, considering PG's probably known mostly for his insane picking. I think they're just as fast as one another, but you get a much different sound from them. Alternate/outside picking gives you the staccato sound that I like.

Really, though, I can't economy pick for crap. Or sweep for crap. Anything more than four strings = not good (although I can do an ascending 5 string sweep fairly well). Here is Castle Dragon on my new (and better suited!) guitar. :smile:

I like heavier strings, generally. I'm using Hybrid Slinky strings on my 25.5" scale length guitar just now. I think heavier, tighter strings help with your picking, but I didn't play for a bit and my finger calluses went down so I couldn't go for straight Slinky strings. :frown:

:eek: those tortex picks are way too thin (for me I reckon). I use Jazz III XLs :cool: 1.38 mm i believe. Used the purple tortex ones previously (bou 1.14 mm I believe) but they got blunt-ish too quickly and the pointy bit seemed to strike strings weirdly in my hands.

Oh you use Ernie Ball's? Best strings ever :wink: going from regular slinky up to the power slinky (purple ones; 11-48).

Re-stringing this particular guitar for the first time ever, using this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sAQcAlAeKU&context=C400aceaADvjVQa1PpcFNxkKmYKqKNYPdh2jGJ0LHqwr9DbZY6LcI=
Wish me luck hehe. Hopefully don't damage something; with my non-existent experience with re-stringing guitars :redface:
Original post by Tobia_s
:eek: those tortex picks are way too thin (for me I reckon). I use Jazz III XLs :cool: 1.38 mm i believe. Used the purple tortex ones previously (bou 1.14 mm I believe) but they got blunt-ish too quickly and the pointy bit seemed to strike strings weirdly in my hands.

Oh you use Ernie Ball's? Best strings ever :wink: going from regular slinky up to the power slinky (purple ones; 11-48).

Re-stringing this particular guitar for the first time ever, using this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sAQcAlAeKU&context=C400aceaADvjVQa1PpcFNxkKmYKqKNYPdh2jGJ0LHqwr9DbZY6LcI=
Wish me luck hehe. Hopefully don't damage something; with my non-existent experience with re-stringing guitars :redface:

That's what every guitar player says. :frown: Been using these for ages now, much preferable to anything else. I practice with thick picks sometimes though.

Oh, and I did a bit of thinking for you. If you wanted to get your speed/picking up, there are a ton of Gilbert licks and patterns that'd be suitable for it that I can give you tabs for/make recordings of if you're interested. Some riffs in Norwegian Cowbell and The Gargoyle especially. If you're not familiar with string skipped arpeggios, it'd be a good time to start too. :tongue:

Good luck on changing strings. It's not so bad really.
Reply 9407
Original post by JordanR
That's what every guitar player says. :frown: Been using these for ages now, much preferable to anything else. I practice with thick picks sometimes though.

Oh, and I did a bit of thinking for you. If you wanted to get your speed/picking up, there are a ton of Gilbert licks and patterns that'd be suitable for it that I can give you tabs for/make recordings of if you're interested. Some riffs in Norwegian Cowbell and The Gargoyle especially. If you're not familiar with string skipped arpeggios, it'd be a good time to start too. :tongue:

Good luck on changing strings. It's not so bad really.

Fair enough. Now wondering how you managed to play metallica songs with those picks? :colone:

If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate that thanks :smile: in your own time of course :biggrin:

Err when you've got a solid-body guitar with the normal "stopbar/tailpiece" bridge; it's alright if you take all the old strings off first (in case you want to wipe down body/fretboard) right? I'm being told that you should change the strings one at a time to "maintain tension" but I thought I'd remedy this by loosening all strings way down before snipping them and that since i'm going up a gauge, might tweak the truss rod a bit after i'm done. Procedure logic all good?
Original post by Tobia_s
Fair enough. Now wondering how you managed to play metallica songs with those picks? :colone:

If it's not too much trouble I'd appreciate that thanks :smile: in your own time of course :biggrin:

Err when you've got a solid-body guitar with the normal "stopbar/tailpiece" bridge; it's alright if you take all the old strings off first (in case you want to wipe down body/fretboard) right? I'm being told that you should change the strings one at a time to "maintain tension" but I thought I'd remedy this by loosening all strings way down before snipping them and that since i'm going up a gauge, might tweak the truss rod a bit after i'm done. Procedure logic all good?

I pick at a 45 degree angle to the string, so thickness doesn't matter too much. Gives a lovely "brushy" sound too.

That thing is essentially a myth -- I've never had problems with it and have left strings off necks for months at a time. Sure, a bit of truss rod adjustment is needed but that's no biggie. I always take all my strings off so I can clean my fretboard too (although now I have really tall frets it doesn't matter so much). And yes, sounds good. Make sure you adjust the truss rod in tiny increments though.

I'll make the recordings and stuff tomorrow -- need to remind myself of some of the licks!
Reply 9409
Original post by JordanR
I pick at a 45 degree angle to the string, so thickness doesn't matter too much. Gives a lovely "brushy" sound too.

That thing is essentially a myth -- I've never had problems with it and have left strings off necks for months at a time. Sure, a bit of truss rod adjustment is needed but that's no biggie. I always take all my strings off so I can clean my fretboard too (although now I have really tall frets it doesn't matter so much). And yes, sounds good. Make sure you adjust the truss rod in tiny increments though.

I'll make the recordings and stuff tomorrow -- need to remind myself of some of the licks!

Hmm does picking angle have any input whatsoever on picking speed?

Thanks a lot mate. Much, much appreciated :biggrin:

THE GARGOYLE!?!?!?!?!?!?! :lolwut: :zomg:
Original post by Tobia_s

Thanks a lot mate. Much, much appreciated :biggrin:

THE GARGOYLE!?!?!?!?!?!?! :lolwut: :zomg:

Quite possibly. Experiment. I found this on my soundcloud which has some handy picking things in it. Think they're just taken from PG lessons somewhere. Will tab them too. Either way, picking at a 45 degree angle certainly can't hurt. :wink:

THE GARGOYLE! Really fun song to play, lots of cool techniques (even my enemy -- sweeping!). Nice arpeggio run.
Reply 9411
Original post by Tobia_s

Not a great deal but most people find a 30-45 degree angle more comfortable.

The resultant scratchy sound that many people find is often more due to poor attack then the angle of the pick. If you get control over the attack then you can control the amount of scratch you get.

I think one of the most underrated aspect of pick technique that helps speed but more important clarity and note quality is the rest stroke/planting. Using this technique together with a 'bouncing' motion in the right hand allows you to get the clearest tone. It seems that when people try to pick fast they forget that one generally plucks strings rather than pushes them. Try and watch Eric Johnson on youtube to get an idea of what I mean by bouncing - he does it pretty prominently so you can almost see it. I think Rick Graham has a video on youtube where he talks about planting too.
What good but challenging songs can I learn which have some nice riffs in them? Thanks
Original post by Dangermoose
What good but challenging songs can I learn which have some nice riffs in them? Thanks

Reply 9414
A guitar thread! Cool beans!

I play a mexican standard straaaaaatocaster! Tobacco sunburst, white scratchplate with a rosewood neck. Basically Frusciante's style of strat, I really love it.

Other guitarist in my band plays a really nice baja custom shop telecaster, that has a switch that allows it to change sound to sounding more like a strat. Mustard yellow with a black scratchplate and maple neck.

Here's our demo: http://soundcloud.com/depardoo/sets/depardoo/
:biggrin:
Original post by Dangermoose

Paul Gilbert or Racer X stuff sounds perfect.
Reply 9416
Original post by JordanR
Paul Gilbert or Racer X stuff sounds perfect.

"Challenging" is a major understatement mate :colone:

Well for me I suppose. Btw; completely obsessed with 'the gargoyle' now thanks to you (must've replayed it over the legal limit haha). No rest till I get a good bit of it down. First 5-20 seconds looks promising right this moment :cool:
Original post by Tobia_s
"Challenging" is a major understatement mate :colone:

Well for me I suppose. Btw; completely obsessed with 'the gargoyle' now thanks to you (must've replayed it over the legal limit haha). No rest till I get a good bit of it down. First 5-20 seconds looks promising right this moment :cool:

Haha, yep. Some of the Racer X stuff completely blows my mind when I try and learn it. If you haven't listened to any of the first two Racer X albums, try them out and you'll be like "wat" for most of it. Even most of the riffs and intros are hard to play...

Good song! Great for your picking too. I would make those recordings for you but I have a cut on my ring finger's fingertip and it's a nightmare. Can't play guitar (tried and I got an E string digging into the cut when I did a slide... not good). Quite annoying though -- quite fancied learning Olympic.
I posted some riffs the other week. I've now recorded them again with some better equipment, now with drums and bass.

http://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/more-riffage
American tele here (black 1993). I love Paul Simon Mark Knopfler, Santana, Alex Turner, Davy Graham and Joni Mitchell.

Latest