The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sharpshooter

But the UK only 5% non white in 1990?? :eek: er.

5% of how many people? 3 million non whites?
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Correlating crime rates with just one social factor such as immigration (which was pretty minimal until the 2000s anyway) is ludicrous. What evidence do you have that this increase is liable to have occurred because of immigrants rather than, say, recurrent economic crises precipitated by the collapse of the imperial economy in the post-war period?

i said that white crimes rates have gone up. but, and i'll say it again, 15% of the prison population in britain is black. even though they make up just 2% of the population.

now, lets say black people decided to stop committing for year. the crime rate would drop by an an astonishing 15%.

and don't blame poverty. there are far more poor white people living in britain in real terms than there are poor black people.
Original post by scriggy
Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Ray Charles, Boney M, The Jackson 5, Diana Ross... ?

**** it. Something tells me I'm wasting my time replying to this.

....Jimi Hendrix, Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, Public Enemy
a.

Think of music then also, it was so white, groups like Abba in the charts, now we have Rihanna, Flo Rida, Chris Brown etc, much more diverse too (which is a good thing).

What? Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Smokey Robinson, Sly and the Family Stone, The Jackson 5, The O'jays, Roberta Flack, Run DMC, Micheal Jackson.... had better talent than any of those individuals you've named.
Original post by roadlesstravelled
i said that white crimes rates have gone up. but, and i'll say it again, 15% of the prison population in britain is black. even though they make up just 2% of the population.

now, lets say black people decided to stop committing for year. the crime rate would drop by an an astonishing 15%.

and don't blame poverty. there are far more poor white people living in britain in real terms than there are poor black people.

The next time the Black Elite get together I'll bring up your point.:rolleyes: Maybe we can do something for you... I mean since it's us black people that are the problem.
Reply 65
I don't understand why people are cheering at the prospect of a less white Britain :confused:

In one sense you could celebrate this as localised diversity I suppose, but on a global scale we'd actually be less diverse as the British eventually became marginalised in their own country. Wiping the British off the map doesn't make us more diverse, that much is obvious! Surely?
Reply 66
I agree its amazing how much Britain has changed in the past 20 years. I think most people would agree that it had to happen and its for the better in todays multiracial mixed raced world. I guess the only thing we have to make sure is that we don't close our doors, even if we do have high unemployment, as these changes are very good for Britain.
Reply 67
Original post by Miracle Day
Sorry I forgot you were such an amazing talent spotter!

Ironically, representing me as a 'talent show' panelist kind of defeats the object of your pisstake (panelist =/= talent spotter); and it also goes against what I'm trying to say about what constitutes musical maturity. Bear in mind that musical maturity is something that a talent show panelist would not understand. Susan Boyle, for instance, has an OK voice, but it's nothing special. However, in spite of the fact that it is quite generic, it was universally lauded by the panelists; whereas I'm sure i that if they were faced with someone like Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) or Russell Allen (Symphony X), they would instantly dismiss each voice as being untalented - yet from a musical perspective they're certainly two of the best voices out there.

The fact of the matter is that certain music (Western classical music and progressive rock/metal in particular) is musically sophisticated and talented. RnB is neither.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Tommyjw
Im struggling to work out if there is a real point made in this thread apart from whether Abba or Rihanna is better..

All I could glean from it is that Abba is in fact white and Rihanna is not white.

Most informative. A++ thread.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Correlating crime rates with just one social factor such as immigration (which was pretty minimal until the 2000s anyway) is ludicrous. What evidence do you have that this increase is liable to have occurred because of immigrants rather than, say, recurrent economic crises precipitated by the collapse of the imperial economy in the post-war period?

The graph shows low crime rates during WW1 and WW2 when Britain was being bombarded by German planes and cities destroyed, is crime recorded in such circumstances?
Reply 70

Think of music then also, it was so white, groups like Abba in the charts, now we have Rihanna, Flo Rida, Chris Brown etc, much more diverse too (which is a good thing).

Why not just pull out the "I have a black friend!!!" quote too :rolleyes:
Original post by chefdave
I don't understand why people are cheering at the prospect of a less white Britain :confused:

In one sense you could celebrate this as localised diversity I suppose, but on a global scale we'd actually be less diverse as the British eventually became marginalised in their own country. Wiping the British off the map doesn't make us more diverse, that much is obvious! Surely?

Anglo-Saxons do still exist in huge numbers abroad, there's more Anglo-Saxons outside of Britain than within. Just look at North America and Australasia. There's 1m Brits in Spain, half a million in France, 250k in Italy and 250k in Germany.
Original post by fourdigit
5% of how many people? 3 million non whites?

There was about 3 million non-whites then yes. Now we should be at around 7.5 million if the 2011 census shows us correctly. Which means we've more than doubled the non white population which IMO is pretty amazing in 20 years. If we could keep that up we could become a minority-majority state by the second half of this century, which I think would be amongst this countries greatest achievements given our colonial history.
Reply 73
lol wait till Tim "Wise" gets here :rolleyes:
it is an absolute disgrace that the country lets in so many immigrants, they commit a lot of crime and are generally not a good thing for this country or any country in general
Reply 75
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
I don't think it's a coincidence that crime rates have increased since our country has become more diverse.

Multiculturalism creates more problems than solves.

See section VI
Crime rose linearly from 1930 (beginning of depression) to 1975, apart from a short drop in the mid-1950s, probably due to relative affluence.
Crime rose sharply from 1975 (when the bottom fell out of the pound, and Thatcherism became popular) to 1992.
Crime has declined thereafter.

Immigration from the colonies happened in the 1950s and 1960s. There is surely no correlation. Crime is correlated with people not having any money. Drugs also probably didn't help, they became popular in the seventies. Also insurance, apparently 92% of insured losses were reported, compared with 33% of uninsured losses, so the rise of the insurance industry is also a massive factor.
(edited 11 years ago)

You could not have been further from the truth.
(edited 11 years ago)
What is with the obsession to discontinue white majority countries only?
Original post by Mufasaa
In a properly diverse world race would never be mentioned.

This^
Reply 79
Original post by mc1000

The fact of the matter is that certain music (Western classical music and progressive rock/metal in particular) is musically sophisticated and talented. RnB is neither.

Agree with this. Where is the talent in autotune?

Latest

Trending

Trending