The Student Room Group

Parents earn enough to not qualify for larger loan - but wont help out

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chumbaniya
There isn't anything in any of my posts that suggests I believe poorer students have a better timing getting into universities that richer students. The reverse is provably the case. I have suggested that, in terms of finances alone, it is entirely possible for students with richer parents who don't contribute to their degree financially to struggle in a way that poorer students who receive a full grant won't (unless they are reckless with their money).

I understand your confusion, as it's easy for the terminology 'rich student' to be applied to both students of personal wealth (who clearly won't struggle) and students with rich parents, who - if they aren't financially supported by said parents - may actually struggle very significantly once they are at university supporting themselves on the basic loan alone. Once you get into a reasonably lengthy discussion on the subject, it's easy to forget that parental wealth and student wealth aren't necessarily related - and indeed in the case of the original poster they aren't.

The reason I feel public schools aren't relevant to the discussion is because they are a factor in the inequality of university places offered, whereas financial support is something that affects students while they are at university, but does not influence a university's decision to accept a student.

I understand what you mean, fair enough :tongue:

But the way I see it, this is one tiny place in which students from poor backgrounds have an advantage compared to the huge advantages you get from being from a wealthy family.
Reply 21
Can I ask you something? Why won't your parents financially aid you? I would have thought that they'd help you to at least some degree with your studies :confused: Or maybe this is just my naive take on things :rolleyes:
Original post by iSMark
I couldn't disagree with this anymore.

Divorce is happening among many families from all areas of society. Money doesn't also result in a comfortable lifestyle.

I didn't post in absolutes, I used the word chances are. And for that the chance is that if you are from 'poor broken family' you are less likely to go to university than someone from a 100k a year family who have a delightful chalet in the Maldives. Thats life, and my post was also meant to be taken in jest, I thought "break your middle class chains" highlighted that.

On Topic: What degree are you hoping to study for?
Reply 23
I qualify for grants, If i didn't I would have no clue what I would do. I think they tend to assume that for the majority of families earning 25K that they will give pocket money or help out in same way. Something that wouldn't ever even be thought of for me.
Original post by roast cat
I'm sure that this topic has been discussed many times before, but I used the search function and searched google for quite a while and couldn't find relevant information. I couldn't work out any good specific keywords to use or anything. Sorry if this is a common question that everyone is bored of answering!

As I say in the title, my parents earn enough for me to only qualify for the smallest maintenance loan. However, they are refusing to pay any money towards me going to university.

Currently I have a job and am working a lot of hours to save up money for living so my maintenance loan can go on my accommodation. The course that I am (hopefully) going to be taking also extends in to the summer and I will have only a few weeks of time off the entire year. It also involves shifts at a hospital which cycle, meaning what free time I do have will change in a manner that makes getting a regular job very difficult.

I don't think that I will be able to save enough money to fund all of my years at university. Saving enough for the first year will not be a problem, but even for the second year it may be difficult. Is there any way to get a larger student loan despite my parents' high earnings? Perhaps declaring independence some how?

Other possibilities I have considered are:

Begging the bank for a loan. I don't want to do this particularly because of interest.

Working for a call centre from home while at university. I may have to do this as it seem like the only job with flexible hours that I can work. Ideally I will not have to resort to this as my course will be very time consuming, but I recognise that it may be my only option.

Not go to university. Obviously this is the option I am trying to avoid.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help here.

I feel for you if you're on a course that has very intense hours that it will be hard to fit work around. Really, the problem is your parents, not the government. They are expected to make a contribution towards your living costs at university which they are not doing - however this isn't the government's problem. Is there any way of talking to them and asking for some further help as it's going to be very difficult to live otherwise?

I don't mean this part to be offensive and please don't think I'm necessarily applying it to your parents, but I knew people who struggle like you as their parents don't make a contribution to top up their non means-tested loan. These same parents happily forked out for several foreign holidays a year, bought lavish expensive furniture and had their kitchens/bathrooms redone every couple of years. With many people it's a question of priorities, and I'm frankly horrified that some people prioritise such things over their child's education. Again, not saying this is anything to do with your parents - just something I've observed.

If they aren't budging, then my advice is to apply early for your university accommodation and apply for the cheapest halls possible, i.e. shared bathroom, kitchen facilities. When I was at uni I went for the cheapest, less newly refurbished halls - I paid about £30-40 less than people I knew who went for the luxe halls. I found there was a much more sociable atmosphere in the cheaper halls with more shared facilities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
student overdraft ? :smile: i think its HBOS who give out a 3000 interest free over draft
Reply 26
I'm sure that this topic has been discussed many times before, but I used the search function and searched google for quite a while and couldn't find relevant information. I couldn't work out any good specific keywords to use or anything. Sorry if this is a common question that everyone is bored of answering!

As I say in the title, my parents earn enough for me to only qualify for the smallest maintenance loan. However, they are refusing to pay any money towards me going to university.

Currently I have a job and am working a lot of hours to save up money for living so my maintenance loan can go on my accommodation. The course that I am (hopefully) going to be taking also extends in to the summer and I will have only a few weeks of time off the entire year. It also involves shifts at a hospital which cycle, meaning what free time I do have will change in a manner that makes getting a regular job very difficult.

I don't think that I will be able to save enough money to fund all of my years at university. Saving enough for the first year will not be a problem, but even for the second year it may be difficult. Is there any way to get a larger student loan despite my parents' high earnings? Perhaps declaring independence some how?

Other possibilities I have considered are:

Begging the bank for a loan. I don't want to do this particularly because of interest.

Working for a call centre from home while at university. I may have to do this as it seem like the only job with flexible hours that I can work. Ideally I will not have to resort to this as my course will be very time consuming, but I recognise that it may be my only option.

Not go to university. Obviously this is the option I am trying to avoid.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help here.

If I were you I'd get started as soon as possible:

1. Whilst you are at Uni you can always apply to them for help if you are struggling financially, or take a year out to earn money to payback a bank loan etc - which could tie into the degree you are doing or be an internship - so you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

In fact if you do have to take a year off to sort your finances out - this can be a "challenge you overcame" at grad interviews.

2. Once you actually start your degree and get good marks - I am sure if needs be your parents or other family members will loan you money or help with financial planning to get you through - rather than see you drop out and fail.
Reply 27
Original post by marshymarsh
I didn't post in absolutes, I used the word chances are. And for that the chance is that if you are from 'poor broken family' you are less likely to go to university than someone from a 100k a year family who have a delightful chalet in the Maldives. Thats life, and my post was also meant to be taken in jest, I thought "break your middle class chains" highlighted that.

On Topic: What degree are you hoping to study for?

At first it didn't come across like that, and I don't disagree with the above, if a study were done then that would be my hypothesis as well.
Thanks for the prompt response! I guess I will have to contact Student Finance, as I probably should have before making this thread

I feel like there must be a way through this, though. It doesn't make sense for the government to assume your parents are willing to pay. I feel privileged that my parents have money and am thankful for that, but purely in the context of student loans isn't this policy a bit discriminatory? For my bank account, my parents refusing to pay is effectively the same as my parents being unable to pay. Why the discrepancy?

Because if people with well-off parents who refuse to help them out financially got extra help, then every well-off parent would start "refusing" to help - possibly whilst giving their offspring noticeable sums in cash, which wouldn't show up on their offspring's bank accounts!
Reply 29
I can understand your predicament. I'm in a similar situation my parents say they aren't going to give me any money for University as their parents didn't help them yet they earn to much money. However, I've still got a year to figure it out I guess, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.
Original post by Jevon177
I can understand your predicament. I'm in a similar situation my parents say they aren't going to give me any money for University as their parents didn't help them yet they earn to much money. However, I've still got a year to figure it out I guess, I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.

That's probably because in their day, the government was giving out grants that were so generous you could live off them alone!

Have you sat down with them and looked at
a) how much you'll receive from the government, and
b) how much you reckon it will cost you to live?
Reply 31
Original post by Rascacielos
The thing is though, living expenses vary vastly across the country so for some it's more "doable" than others.

In Leicester, for example, my friend is paying £90 per week for her ensuite room. I, on the other hand, am paying £130 pw for more or less the same room in Southampton.

True. But I'm staying in London, which is very expensive.
Original post by Zottula
True. But I'm staying in London, which is very expensive.

You get an increased loan in London, which I found actually works out better than if you live in another area of the country which is expensive but for which you don't get an increased loan.

When I had an offer from UCL (and a consequent student finance offer of an increased loan), I worked out I would be living on £65 more per week than I am now after my accommodation fees.
Original post by marshymarsh

1. for the most part rich parents

2. are compassionate enough to support their children through university

3.this case is exceptional

4. poor students need the money more

I take your earlier point about some students from poor families being less likely to consider university. That is true.

In this case I think there should be more scholarships available to students with outstanding ability. This would encourage talented students, regardless of background.

However I disagree with the numbered points.

1. I'm not sure having parents who earn average or slightly above average income counts as being rich

2. Income =/= compassion

3. Actually this is far from unusual. There have been many previous threads and heated discussions with many students in a similar position.

4. Let's be clear. The parental income is the difference between students. The students themselves do not have more money in their bank account, simply because their parents earn slightly more. So why do poor students need the money more? Regardless of parental income everyone has to pay for rent, food etc. If the student with parents on lower income is loaned/given enough money by the SLC, but the student with parents on higher income is given insufficient money by the SLC then the latter student either has to work a lot more than the former student just to get by or take an expensive commercial loan. Why should the 1st student not have to work (or work as much) as the 2nd student just because their parents earn less? It's not the fault of the 2nd student that their parents earn slightly more.

Isn't the fair thing to do to offer all students a loan that is sufficient to live on and repayable? It's a loan so everyone has to pay it back. If you're an adult, your own bank balance has nothing to do with how much your parents earn.
Reply 34
I think you can apply for Student Finance WITHOUT declaring how much your parents earn, and just get the standard loan. Not sure.
Original post by SleepySheep

Your final statement is absolutely ridiculous. No one thinks like that. People with rich parents are by no means 'ignored', they have a massive advantage over those from working class backgrounds. How many millionaires do you think went to state schools? How many people in the very top jobs went to state schools? How many cabinet members went to state schools? Etc etc.

I feel sorry for the OP, but in general middle class students are much much better off than working class students when it comes to education. Please don't try to pretend otherwise.

I suggest you read the wiki article on class structure.

Middle class =/= millionaire.

Class isn't about how much money you have or earn (except perhaps in the case of a few very wealthy upper class families).

Working class people can and do become millionaires. In fact, a lot of really wealthy people make money from a poor background or with limited formal education. Those who make a LOT of money don't necessarily have a lot of formal education.

Middle class people don't call send their children to private schools, nor does sending your child to a private school mean you are anything close to a millionaire.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/07/28/cx_dd_0728mondaymatch.html
(edited 12 years ago)
x

About 6 weeks ago, I was in the exact same position as you. I actually broadly agree with the system, of course those from more finically deprived backgrounds need more money as there's no 'parental piggybank' to fall back upon. I actually made a thread similar to this one myself, though I recieved 4 neggs, without any reason given why :tongue:

Essentially, you'll have to do the same thing which I did. Point out to your parents that the system essentially nessecitates them contributing, brake down all the figures and then hopefully they'll be more privy to contributing. I mean, it's a really difficult situation, but fantastic that you've already got a job.

Just to give you a break-down of my current plan:

1)Convince parents to contribute somehow.
2) Go up to whereever you university is the week before term starts, and ask at every place you can find for vacancies. Apparently, the best jobs to get are either bar jobs, or event work, as both have relatively flexiable contracts and evening/weekend hours, allowing for you to continue with your university course undisturbed :smile:
3) Save every avaliable penny.
4) Ask other relatives if they can help, you never know!
5) Apply for the cheapest accomodation.

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Jessikat
I think you can apply for Student Finance WITHOUT declaring how much your parents earn, and just get the standard loan. Not sure.

Yeah you can. But the OP knows this and is worried this won't be enough to fund them.
Reply 38
Original post by Rascacielos
You get an increased loan in London, which I found actually works out better than if you live in another area of the country which is expensive but for which you don't get an increased loan.

When I had an offer from UCL (and a consequent student finance offer of an increased loan), I worked out I would be living on £65 more per week than I am now after my accommodation fees.

This is true. You are correct. I had forgotten about that. After 1st year when you have to move out of halls it can get more expensive though. A lot of people are put off studying in London because of the increased costs.
Reply 39
good luck getting help from student finance, most useless excuse for a company i have ever had to deal with. somehow managed to pay my tuition fees TO THE WRONG UNIVERSITY?!?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending