Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's coz Cambridge is crap in general, though :yep: :ahee: :yep:

:ninja:

:teehee:

That's not a suspiciously biased comment at all :ninja:
I'd personally recommend researching over the summer but not writing. Unless you have a supervisor sorted by then and you have had a thorough chat about how you both see the dissertation progressing :yes:

Hmm, i have almost all firsts at the moment, but I have no idea how to write a dissertation. Im first year. So it seems I should be preparing for it ASAP.

Ok, I'm going to have a chat with the person who should be supervising me. My topic is on a particular subject that only one professor could supervise me on.

Any other advice, people? I'm really stressing about this :-(
Original post by aeterno
:teehee:

That's not a suspiciously biased comment at all :ninja:

Of course. Especially considering it's the Boat Race tomorrow. Not biased at all :nah:

Original post by BigVitaminD
Hmm, i have almost all firsts at the moment, but I have no idea how to write a dissertation. Im first year. So it seems I should be preparing for it ASAP.

Ok, I'm going to have a chat with the person who should be supervising me. My topic is on a particular subject that only one professor could supervise me on.

You're first year? You're worrying about this too much and too early then :yes:
Reply 883
Original post by aeterno
Yep, definitely would've killed them by now :colonhash: Now where's my secret stash of nuclear weapons...:ninja:

Not marked yet. Yeah he'll tell me when it has been marked but I want to know now. I know he knows what it is roughly having seen the draft and I want to know what he knows I know he knows :tongue: Hmm, methinks it's bribery time :colone:

Batteries are available in your nearest shop :grin: Go there :colonhash:

Don't unleash power until they've processed my application! :colondollar:

Hmm, I hear it's usually that double marker who gives a lower mark or summit? So he could tell you, but I guess it won't be definitive. I mean, I won't get my mark back till July :afraid: But I know who my 2nd marker is and he always gives me the highest marks :colone:
Of course. Especially considering it's the Boat Race tomorrow. Not biased at all :nah:

You're first year? You're worrying about this too much and too early then :yes:

I would like to prepare in advance because it is worth a large percentage of my degree :eek:
I would like to prepare in advance because it is worth a large percentage of my degree :eek:

By all means discuss it early on and do reading, etc... but maybe wait til you're in second year. For all you know, your ideas and interests may change quite wildly by the time third year has come. My dissertation went off on a complete different route once I started writing it :eek:
Reply 886

There is absolutely no point in preparing for it now. It's good to have an idea but that could all change in a year's time. Try not to get too set on a topic that might not even be approved. Focus on 2nd year instead of 3rd year, yeah?
Reply 887
Original post by Akkuz
Don't unleash power until they've processed my application! :colondollar:

Hmm, I hear it's usually that double marker who gives a lower mark or summit? So he could tell you, but I guess it won't be definitive. I mean, I won't get my mark back till July :afraid: But I know who my 2nd marker is and he always gives me the highest marks :colone:

But but but...power :sad: Fine, I'll wait :emo:

Hm, possibly. Although if there's not much difference between the marks, the higher mark usually wins out in my experience :colone: (My supervisor won't let me get the lower mark anyway! :tongue:) So freaking excited/nervous! :woo:
Original post by aeterno
There is absolutely no point in preparing for it now. It's good to have an idea but that could all change in a year's time. Try not to get too set on a topic that might not even be approved. Focus on 2nd year instead of 3rd year, yeah?

Ordinary essays and exams are not difficult for me. I have virtually all firsts. Second year is more of the same.

I need to focus on my weakness. And that is the dissertation! :-)
Reply 889
Ordinary essays and exams are not difficult for me. I have virtually all firsts. Second year is more of the same.

I need to focus on my weakness. And that is the dissertation! :-)

That's irrelevant. For one thing, you don't even know how you'll cope with the dissertation. Secondly, planning absolutely everything to do with it 2 years before you'll have to hand it in is not a good idea. There is no point in starting it this early especially when it hasn't even been approved yet.

On top of that, you don't yet know how you'll deal with 2nd year either. To assume you'll get firsts in 2nd year because you did in 1st year is not a good attitude to have. Many people are capable of getting firsts in 1st year but the work gets harder, the marking gets harsher, and your marks will drop if you go into 2nd year with this mindset. This isn't meant to sound patronising or anything but if you want to get the best out of your degree, you need to approach it step by step - and that means not worrying about your dissertation now. Don't run before you can walk!
Reply 890
That's coz Cambridge is crap in general, though :yep: :ahee: :yep:

:huff: My cousin is at Oxford and If I end up at Cambridge there's going to be a lot of fierce friendly rivalry between us :tongue:

Original post by aeterno
But but but...power :sad: Fine, I'll wait :emo:

Hm, possibly. Although if there's not much difference between the marks, the higher mark usually wins out in my experience :colone: (My supervisor won't let me get the lower mark anyway! :tongue:) So freaking excited/nervous! :woo:

Yep, that is true. Makes more sense anyway because your supervisor knows everything about your project, the problems you encountered and things you may have omitted for a specific reason.

In my dissertation I've basically semi-slagged off the company that offered me a job :mmm:
Reply 891
Original post by Akkuz
Yep, that is true. Makes more sense anyway because your supervisor knows everything about your project, the problems you encountered and things you may have omitted for a specific reason.

In my dissertation I've basically semi-slagged off the company that offered me a job :mmm:

True :yep: Plus I could just do this > :puppyeyes: and he'll have no choice but to give me a first :colone: ...:ninja:

:teehee: Naughty! Although I tend to slag off a lot of academics in much of my work so...:mmm:
Reply 892
Original post by aeterno
True :yep: Plus I could just do this > :puppyeyes: and he'll have no choice but to give me a first :colone: ...:ninja:

:teehee: Naughty! Although I tend to slag off a lot of academics in much of my work so...:mmm:

my supervisor is away until 2 weeks before the submission date. He can't give me feedback like he did for everyone else. So unfortunately, I won't have the opportunitty to make amendments (imagine it does not flow properly, has major errors etc, I won't be able to correct anything).

I really feel like crying. :frown:
Reply 893
Original post by itzme
my supervisor is away until 2 weeks before the submission date. He can't give me feedback like he did for everyone else. So unfortunately, I won't have the opportunitty to make amendments (imagine it does not flow properly, has major errors etc, I won't be able to correct anything).

I really feel like crying. :frown:

Oh no! :frown:

Is there anyone else you could else to take a quick look over your work? Or even ask your supervisor when he gets back if he could just skin through and spot any major concerns that need correcting?

Don't cry! :hugs:
Reply 894
Original post by aeterno
Oh no! :frown:

Is there anyone else you could else to take a quick look over your work? Or even ask your supervisor when he gets back if he could just skin through and spot any major concerns that need correcting?

Don't cry! :hugs:

he takes ageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees to reply!

Oh dear me! I really want to cry. I am actually crying.

There is no one else who knows about this. I really really want to cry.
Reply 895
Original post by itzme
he takes ageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees to reply!

Oh dear me! I really want to cry. I am actually crying.

There is no one else who knows about this. I really really want to cry.

What about a friend you can trust? Just to proofread at the very least.
Reply 896
Original post by aeterno

They love it when you slag of academics :colone: My strategy professor loves it when we slag off the founding father of strategy lol.

Just popped onto my KCL account..my offer is still there, it says "accepted offer, awaiting deposit confirmation"..I guess that means they haven't given my place to anybody else yet and I can still pay a deposit if I want to :holmes: They're just trying to hustle me out of £1,000 :huff: Loads of people who applied to Oxbridge, LSE/Imperial, apply to this course at KCL as a back-up; I'm sure there are loads of people in my position.
Reply 897
A bit concerned for two reasons:

1. I've had One Direction's 'That What Makes You Beautiful' stuck in my head ALL day.

2. This is the brief for my course essay (kind of like a dissertation but isn't really)

a Course Essay should show a breadth and range of knowledge, demonstrating coverage of the course for which it is serving as the sole examination. It must be 8000 words long including footnotes and quotations but excluding bibliography
Course Essays are meant to be as broad a test of the candidate’s knowledge as the written paper they replace, and will usually require coverage of at least three authors or topics. Hence, they must not be confined to individual works, or to the works of a single author, or to a narrow topic for the non-period courses.

I'm writing on 'Post 1945 Children's Literature and its censorship'. I'm about 4000 words in and a little worried that I only actually started analysing the primary texts at about 1700 words. :s-smilie: Before I was considering definitions and critical and social issues surrounding the topic. My tutor approved my title and said 'just be careful it doesn't turn into a sociology essay- keep it about literature'
I can't e-mail my tutor as I'm not allowed any input for any member of staff apart from to recommend reading (I've cleaned out this section of the uni library)

I'm really worried about going off topic and getting a low mark.
Would really appreciate any help
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 898
Original post by Akkuz
They love it when you slag of academics :colone: My strategy professor loves it when we slag off the founding father of strategy lol.

Just popped onto my KCL account..my offer is still there, it says "accepted offer, awaiting deposit confirmation"..I guess that means they haven't given my place to anybody else yet and I can still pay a deposit if I want to :holmes: They're just trying to hustle me out of £1,000 :huff: Loads of people who applied to Oxbridge, LSE/Imperial, apply to this course at KCL as a back-up; I'm sure there are loads of people in my position.

I always get told to tone it down a bit :tongue: Not my fault half of them are full of **** :colonhash:

Haha mine says the same STILL! Despite actually paying the deposit ages ago :tongue: If you don't want to give the £1000 to them, I can look after it for you if you want :colone: :ninja:
Reply 899
Original post by sundogs
A bit concerned for two reasons:

1. I've had One Direction's 'That What Makes You Beautiful' stuck in my head ALL day.

2. This is the brief for my course essay (kind of like a dissertation but isn't really)

a Course Essay should show a breadth and range of knowledge, demonstrating coverage of the course for which it is serving as the sole examination. It must be 8000 words long including footnotes and quotations but excluding bibliography
Course Essays are meant to be as broad a test of the candidate’s knowledge as the written paper they replace, and will usually require coverage of at least three authors or topics. Hence, they must not be confined to individual works, or to the works of a single author, or to a narrow topic for the non-period courses.

I'm writing on 'Post 1945 Children's Literature and its censorship'. I'm about 4000 words in and a little worried that I only actually started analysing the primary texts at about 1700 words. :s-smilie: Before I was considering definitions and critical and social issues surrounding the topic. My tutor approved my title and said 'just be careful it doesn't turn into a sociology essay- keep it about literature'
I can't e-mail my tutor as I'm not allowed any input for any member of staff apart from to recommend reading (I've cleaned out this section of the uni library)

I'm really worried about going off topic and getting a low mark.
Would really appreciate any help

1. :unimpressed: Go listen to some cool music to replace that atrocity :tongue:

2. I don't know much about how English works (maybe someone who studies will come along and be more helpful?) but as far as I see it, it depends on how relevant writing so much on definitions etc. is. In other words, ask yourself the following questions:
Why am I including this?
Is it absolutely necessary to include it?
Will I be referring to any of the points made later on?
Does it relate back to the title?
And just do that with pretty much every sentence to keep yourself on track. Cut things out if you have to (although I wouldn't recommend doing this until you've at least got all your main points down and know exactly what your argument is). Obviously, there will be a few sentences here and there which aren't relevant per se but are needed to make the whole thing flow - by all means keep those ones - you still want it to be well written after all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending