The Student Room Group

Year 11's - How many hours of revision are doing a day?

Scroll to see replies

Revision... for GCSES...?
Reply 101
Original post by yl95
Ooh, I did the mock and got 86% :frown: Could have done better since I basically crammed for my mocks (not proud.)
I've finished doing IGCSE revision since it's pretty easy stuff and our teacher gave us past papers to do during the lesson several weeks ago and I did the January 2012 & June 2011 papers - need to hand them since the mark schemes aren't online -_-
Are you doing FSMQ? How are you revising for it, and are you doing any other IGCSE exams because I'm doing IGCSE Chem and Physics (and the AQA Physics...)?
I'm basically going to do exercises and just do all the past papers available.

Hey man, 86% is good :biggrin: its still an A* :tongue:

I found that mock to be easy, others I found harder, and my average score is around 85%. I need to still carry on practising to push it up to the safe 90s% consistently.

Right now, I'm doing 1-2 papers a day.

What's FSMQ? Never heard of it, sorry :tongue:

I am also doing IGCSE History & Spanish. Everything else I'm doing is AQA.

I'm seriously struggling with Spanish GCSE.

Do you do language iGCSE? Any tips?

:sexface:
Original post by lohoj

I found that mock to be easy, others I found harder, and my average score is around 85%. I need to still carry on practising to push it up to the safe 90s% consistently.

I am also doing IGCSE History & Spanish. Everything else I'm doing is AQA.

I'm seriously struggling with Spanish GCSE.

Do you do language iGCSE? Any tips?

Yeah my average score lurks around early 90s and I found that mock easy, though I don't know until I get the result ... I make SO MANY silly mistakes.
FSMQ is basically Add Maths which has most of C1 and a bit of C2.
I don't do language iGCSE lol. Nearly everything else I do is AQA, bar what was mentioned and Latin.
Original post by lohoj

86% isn't always an A*... for the Maths IGCSE (CIE Board) I sat for last November, you needed 94% for an A*. For mocks/school exams, A* is normally considered to be 90% or more I believe...

FSMQ Additional Mathematics is basically C1/C2 from AS Level Maths, with some of M1 (that is, of course, if FSMQ is the same as the IGCSE Additional Maths I'm sitting for).
(edited 12 years ago)
Well I'm in year 12 now, but I've been through the process so I can tell you what I did (I did 9 GCSEs and 1 IGCSE btw) :

Started revision about a week into the Easter holidays (so about now)

Did ~3hrs per day in the holidays, this went up to 5-6hrs per day during study leave (mid May)

I had 17 exams, most of them concentrated at the start of my exams (mid to end of May)

....And I got 9A* 1A :smile:

My advice would be if you have exams after the June half term, then don't revise for them now. Concentrate on your pre-half term exams now, because you have more than enough time in half term to do more revision for those last few exams.

Don't revise too much for exams that you have a lot of free space before (eg. I had 7 days to revise for my last exam - German, hence I didn't do any revision in the holidays)

For English, my advice would be to act like a posh **** in your essays - that's how I did it :wink:

For English Lit (if you do it) - actually read the book and make your own unique notes. You'd be surprised at what you come up with. You could also use sites like Spark Notes to get the basics sorted, but examiners really love unique points. Make headings of various themes and write down all the quotes that apply to that theme.

The two Englishes were the subjects I wasted most of my revision on, and I think those are normally the hardest ones.

Anyways, good luck with your exams :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by SaintSoldier
Well I'm in year 12 now, but I've been through the process so I can tell you what I did (I did 9 GCSEs and 1 IGCSE btw) :

Started revision about a week into the Easter holidays (so about now)

Did ~3hrs per day in the holidays, this went up to 5-6hrs per day during study leave (mid May)

I had 17 exams, most of them concentrated at the start of my exams (mid to end of May)

....And I got 9A* 1A :smile:

My advice would be if you have exams after the June half term, then don't revise for them now. Concentrate on your pre-half term exams now, because you have more than enough time in half term to do more revision for those last few exams.

Don't revise too much for exams that you have a lot of free space before (eg. I had 7 days to revise for my last exam - German, hence I didn't do any revision in the holidays)

For English, my advice would be to act like a posh **** in your essays - that's how I did it :wink:

For English Lit (if you do it) - actually read the book and make your own unique notes. You'd be surprised at what you come up with. You could also use sites like Spark Notes to get the basics sorted, but examiners really love unique points. Make headings of various themes and write down all the quotes that apply to that theme.

The two Englishes were the subjects I wasted most of my revision on, and I think those are normally the hardest ones.

Anyways, good luck with your exams :smile:

Thanks a lot!
Wow, you must be really clever :tongue: I can't absorb all that information is so little time! (7 days!!)

Was your German Igcse? How did you revise for that?
Original post by lohoj
Was your German Igcse? How did you revise for that?

Nope, I did AQA GCSE German (my IGCSE was in History)

Well German was pretty easy, I just learnt the vocab sections at the end of each chapter. Because I got so bored of revising German for so long, I started watching German news videos. I watched the videos that I've already heard the English version of (eg. Bin Laden's death), so I could kind of use my German knowledge and my contextual knowledge to work out what they were saying.

That actually really helped, a learnt a few of words that weren't in the textbook but did come up in the exam (and my knowledge of German was generally better, so I could work out the grammar based parts of the exam quite easily). Usually, the exam gives you new words and you're suppossed to kind of guess what they mean. I cheated a bit by revising off the syllabus :colone:
Reply 108
Original post by SaintSoldier
Nope, I did AQA GCSE German (my IGCSE was in History)

Well German was pretty easy, I just learnt the vocab sections at the end of each chapter. Because I got so bored of revising German for so long, I started watching German news videos. I watched the videos that I've already heard the English version of (eg. Bin Laden's death), so I could kind of use my German knowledge and my contextual knowledge to work out what they were saying.

That actually really helped, a learnt a few of words that weren't in the textbook but did come up in the exam (and my knowledge of German was generally better, so I could work out the grammar based parts of the exam quite easily). Usually, the exam gives you new words and you're suppossed to kind of guess what they mean. I cheated a bit by revising off the syllabus :colone:

Wow that's impressive :tongue:

I do Spanish igcse, and I suck at it. I was looking for tips :smile: when I listen to Spanish news/films they speak to fast for my brain to work out what word they are saying!!

Ooo, how did you revise for history? Which papers did you do in year 11?

Was it the paper2 USA & paper3 Britain?
Original post by lohoj
Wow that's impressive :tongue:

I do Spanish igcse, and I suck at it. I was looking for tips :smile: when I listen to Spanish news/films they speak to fast for my brain to work out what word they are saying!!

Don't bother with films, that's too much effort

News bulletins are good because they are really quick and get to the point. There's no "wishy washy" language.

I wouldn't recommend this if you're short of time btw - I only did it because I had a week to prepare for just one short exam. The textbook gives you enough info to get an A*.

Ooo, how did you revise for history? Which papers did you do in year 11?

Was it the paper2 USA & paper3 Britain?

I can't remember what number but I did WW1, Germany 1918-45, International Relations, and the Middle East Conflict.

With history I just read through the textbook as many times as possible. Repetition is the key to make it sink in. I just read it over and over again until I could almost recite the textbook. That's how most GCSEs worked tbh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 110
I was wondering, how do you guys all revise??
I like try to revise 3-4 hours a day, but I dont really learn much :/
what would be an effective way to revise?
Original post by Tplox
I was wondering, how do you guys all revise??
I like try to revise 3-4 hours a day, but I dont really learn much :/
what would be an effective way to revise?

I do that method too. What I find is an effective method for me is revising 2 hours at a time followed by an hour break and then another 2 hours. In those two hours after each subtopic I'll take 5 minute breaks in between so I don't get tired. If you wake up early you can actually get 4 hours worth of information covered by like 2pm which gives you the rest of the day to do what you want so I feel it's pretty good. Oh & when your writing notes don't bother copying out full wordy sentences, just make short, concise notes with diagrams. Just quote if you need any more info. :smile:
Reply 112
1 hour with 10 minute breaks.

Adding to my mind maps, making short notes and a couple of past papers.

I guess aiming for A's... Apart from English and German where I don't think I can get an A now (according to my controlled assessments).

But yeah, we have 2 months yet till exams and you can do GCSE's with a week of revising and get good grades so don't worry guys if you have no t started yet! :biggrin:
Reply 113
about 5 hours ! :smile:
I was planning on revising two hours yesterday, only did an hour. The day before yesterday, did about four to five hours and hardly took any breaks so definitely going to from now on.
Btw, is see you all revising at day (Y)
but tbh, i procastinate soo much, and with all the distractions at day time, i thought i might aswell have fun all the way through the day, and start my revision around 7 and finish 12ish.
Worked for me well so far :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dwfed
1 hour with 10 minute breaks.

Adding to my mind maps, making short notes and a couple of past papers.

I guess aiming for A's... Apart from English and German where I don't think I can get an A now (according to my controlled assessments).

But yeah, we have 2 months yet till exams and you can do GCSE's with a week of revising and get good grades so don't worry guys if you have no t started yet! :biggrin:

What have you got In your German controlled assessments?
lool i only do 1 to 2 hours a day but i do alot of past papers though but i need as and a stars dont noe how im gunna get those and gcse law is fricking hard
None... *oh no now I'll get an F*

Actually, whatever, no.
Reply 119
I did about 3 hours a day I planned to do 6 lol Now i'm finishing of my art book

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending