The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georget1
Not sure where I'm going to accept - got offers from Durham, King's, Bristol and Exeter......

I personally would go Durham or King's. Bristol appears to be on the wane and Exeter is a notch below the top three.
Not sure where I'm going to accept - got offers from Durham, King's, Bristol and Exeter......

I personally would go to King's if you don't mind being in London (cost of living, etc) Apart from that, decide which you like best by visiting them/looking at extra-curricular aspects etcs.

Bristol is, sadly, apparently, on the way down but has a good reputation still at the moment. It must be going down for a reason though. 4th place.
Exeter is definitely on the way up, but it doesn't have a strong reputation at the minute. 3rd place, mainly because I'm going there.
Durham is really too far north for any self-respecting Englishman to consider, but it comes a close 2nd to Kings.
King's will cost you more, but you'll be at the heart of the legal world, in a great location, and a spanking newly refurbished building, somewhat famous, also known as Somerset House. What more could you want??

Edit. Wow minus four, I'm doing well...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3582

I think I'd go for Durham. Kings being up there too. Just because it's cheaper than London and will provide the community feel and intimacy that London won't give you.
Original post by Bea492
I think I'd go for Durham. Kings being up there too. Just because it's cheaper than London and will provide the community feel and intimacy that London won't give you.

It really is rather small though, and very far up north.
Reply 3584
Original post by tehforum

With all the cons people have to say about Durham, I don't feel cool anymore saying I have an offer from there only, so far. :/
Reply 3585
Original post by tehforum

I've never visited but I'm sure people do enjoy it there. It's obviously a very good Uni too and Newcastle isn't far for a night out. And there's nothing wrong with being up North! I'm just saying it would probably be my choice, largely because living in London would be too much of a financial struggle even though I absolutely love the city. Obviously everyone has to go for what suits them.
Original post by snehame
With all the cons people have to say about Durham, I don't feel cool anymore saying I have an offer from there only, so far. :/

I dun think so.
Durham is really a good school.
No matter you love it, or people love it or not, it shows that you have the abilities that made Durham wants you
It is pretty cool, haha

Although I have it too. :biggrin:

If my memories remind me correctly, you are still waiting for QM's reply, same as me, right?
Reply 3587
Original post by ernestchu
I dun think so.
Durham is really a good school.
No matter you love it, or people love it or not, it shows that you have the abilities that made Durham wants you
It is pretty cool, haha

Although I have it too. :biggrin:

If my memories remind me correctly, you are still waiting for QM's reply, same as me, right?

Haha then I guess we are pretty cool :wink:

Yeah QMUL and Warwick! :/
Hey guys,

I'm an international student with conditional offers from:

King's College London
Bristol
Nottingham
Southampton
Surrey

I managed to get 25 on my LNAT and band 9 on my IELTS. I finished my A Levels in January and got A* for English Literature, B (This was a real pity, 4 UMS marks away from an A) in Maths and a B in Econs. My condition for King's was A*AA, which I obviously did not get, while Bristol wanted AAB. The thing with King's is that I obviously did not meet their condition, so they ought to have revoked my offer, right? Funny story, they didn't. I emailed the King's Law admissions lady personally and asked her if I had a chance (this was around early March), and naturally she said "due to intense competition and limited places, we cannot accommodate those who do not meet their conditions", which is totally understandable. HOWEVER, it's now mid-April and my UCAS Track and King's Application Portal STILL do not show anything about me being rejected.

Naturally, although this is a bit of a long shot, I started getting hopeful that I may, just may still be under consideration. Then, I got one of those automated emails from King's telling me that the accommodation applications are open for conditional and unconditional students. So, I decided to apply, just in case. After trying a couple of times, however, I suddenly wasn't allowed to log on to the "myAccommodation" portal because apparently I have to "qualify as a conditional/unconditional offer holder". This left me thoroughly confused, so last Friday, I sent King's a looooong email asking them to be truthful and tell me if my application is being re-reviewed, or what my status is, because it's seriously unfair to keep me in a limbo like this, if I know for sure that I can't get into King's, I'm going to start looking for other alternatives.

Bristol, on the other hand, honestly told me that my application is under consideration and it will take them a while to come up with a decision, at least not until end of May/June when their situation (number of students, etc) is a little clearer, which is perfectly fair, I think.

I'm getting really frustrated with King's, although I really really really want to go there. I don't know if I'm being absolutely stupid in hoping that there is a chance they might still review my application since they're taking so long..any advise, guys?

Lastly, SO SORRY for the long essay. :smile: Hope everyone had a really good Easter weekend!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3589
Original post by AnonCoconut
Hey guys,

I'm an international student with conditional offers from:

King's College London
Bristol
Nottingham
Southampton
Surrey

I managed to get 25 on my LNAT and band 9 on my IELTS. I finished my A Levels in January and got A* for English Literature, B (This was a real pity, 4 UMS marks away from an A) in Maths and a B in Econs. My condition for King's was A*AA, which I obviously did not get, while Bristol wanted AAB. The thing with King's is that I obviously did not meet their condition, so they ought to have revoked my offer, right? Funny story, they didn't. I emailed the King's Law admissions lady personally and asked her if I had a chance (this was around early March), and naturally she said "due to intense competition and limited places, we cannot accommodate those who do not meet their conditions", which is totally understandable. HOWEVER, it's now mid-April and my UCAS Track and King's Application Portal STILL do not show anything about me being rejected.

Naturally, although this is a bit of a long shot, I started getting hopeful that I may, just may still be under consideration. Then, I got one of those automated emails from King's telling me that the accommodation applications are open for conditional and unconditional students. So, I decided to apply, just in case. After trying a couple of times, however, I suddenly wasn't allowed to log on to the "myAccommodation" portal because apparently I have to "qualify as a conditional/unconditional offer holder". This left me thoroughly confused, so last Friday, I sent King's a looooong email asking them to be truthful and tell me if my application is being re-reviewed, or what my status is, because it's seriously unfair to keep me in a limbo like this, if I know for sure that I can't get into King's, I'm going to start looking for other alternatives.

Bristol, on the other hand, honestly told me that my application is under consideration and it will take them a while to come up with a decision, at least not until end of May/June when their situation (number of students, etc) is a little clearer, which is perfectly fair, I think.

I'm getting really frustrated with King's, although I really really really want to go there. I don't know if I'm being absolutely stupid in hoping that there is a chance they might still review my application since they're taking so long..any advise, guys?

Lastly, SO SORRY for the long essay. :smile: Hope everyone had a really good Easter weekend!

Are your A-levels run by a British board (Edexcel, OCR etc.)

If so, there is another examination series starting next month for you to resit these exams. A-level results are only released to universities in August so Kings does not yet know your A-level results. I would find a way of resitting your A-levels pronto!

Edit: I read one of your other posts and it seems you are doing your exams through Edexcel...so you have time to resit some modules in order to meet your Kings offer (to be clear, you need to enter for the May and June exams this year). If your school won't let you resit, you might be able to resit through your UK embassy or something....find out!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3590
I'm an international student too. I may firm Durham too, given if I get any offers from the other too!

Oh and may I ask which college at Durham? :smile:

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to Bristol to read law, can i ask what grades you achieved in GCSE AS etc.

Many thanks
Original post by tkane
Are your A-levels run by a British board (Edexcel, OCR etc.)

If so, there is another examination series starting next month for you to resit these exams. A-level results are only released to universities in August so Kings does not yet know your A-level results. I would find a way of resitting your A-levels pronto!

Edit: I read one of your other posts and it seems you are doing your exams through Edexcel...so you have time to resit some modules in order to meet your Kings offer (to be clear, you need to enter for the May and June exams this year). If your school won't let you resit, you might be able to resit through your UK embassy or something....find out!

Hi tkane,

Thanks for the advice, but the thing is, I forwarded my official results to King's already. That's why I'm so confused, they already received my results (I received a message from them on their application portal confirming this) and YET there has been no response. I went over my resitting options with my college, they even allowed me to resit papers without having to pay semester fees (I was very active in extra curricular activities, President of Debating Society, Advertising Head for the College magazine, etc), so they said they recognised my contributions and would allow me to take any papers I wanted without having to attend classes, but the universities did not require me to resit any papers.

Hence my dilemma. :smile:

But thank you for your advice! Are you a Law applicant as well??
Reply 3593
Trevelyan :smile: I put in an open application!
Reply 3594
Hi tkane,

Thanks for the advice, but the thing is, I forwarded my official results to King's already. That's why I'm so confused, they already received my results (I received a message from them on their application portal confirming this) and YET there has been no response. I went over my resitting options with my college, they even allowed me to resit papers without having to pay semester fees (I was very active in extra curricular activities, President of Debating Society, Advertising Head for the College magazine, etc), so they said they recognised my contributions and would allow me to take any papers I wanted without having to attend classes, but the universities did not require me to resit any papers.

Hence my dilemma. :smile:

But thank you for your advice! Are you a Law applicant as well??

Well since I visited this thread then yes I must be a Law applicant too :wink:

I am pretty sure that even if you have forwarded your results then you would be able to resit the exams as unis in the UK only confirm places in August AFAIK. Comfirm with them if you can still resit, I am pretty sure you can.

With your current grades I doubt Kings would accept you....Bristol maybe.
Hey guys,
Hope everyone had a really good Easter weekend!

Generally, unless stated otherwise, you have until about 31st August, 1st September to satisfy your offer conditions. So as far as King's are concerned, even though you already sent them some results, you still have time to get your offer by satisfying the conditions. If I were you I'd a) check this with Kings and b) arrange to resit one module from each of the subjects you got a B in.

Hopefully you can take exams this summer (but check when the closing date for entries is), get the grades you need and head off to King's :biggrin: but phone King's admissions and ask, they will probably let you have until end of August to satisfy your conditions....
Reply 3596
Unconditional offer from Warwick :smile:
Reply 3597
Anyone still waiting for a Law with Another Legal System response from UCL?
Reply 3598
Not sure really, I'm visiting UK later this month an I shall visit the unis and then decide :smile:
Original post by mathsmusicfrench
Generally, unless stated otherwise, you have until about 31st August, 1st September to satisfy your offer conditions. So as far as King's are concerned, even though you already sent them some results, you still have time to get your offer by satisfying the conditions. If I were you I'd a) check this with Kings and b) arrange to resit one module from each of the subjects you got a B in.

Hopefully you can take exams this summer (but check when the closing date for entries is), get the grades you need and head off to King's :biggrin: but phone King's admissions and ask, they will probably let you have until end of August to satisfy your conditions....

Hi mathsmusicfrench,

I'd be more than happy to, if King's freaking answered my emails. XD The thing is, I'm Malaysian, and there's an 8 hour time difference, and I'm working, so calling is tiny bit hard, except for weekends, when it's pointless. See, my question is, the admissions officer lady already TOLD me that my results are insufficient to let me in. Plus, by the time they actually replied my email with my results, the registration period for the Edexcel exams were over, and we would have to pay triple the original amount for a late entry. Unfortunately, my family's financial circumstances don't allow me the liberty to sign up with three times the amount (add in the exchange rate and I may as well do my A Levels all over again).

:frown: Thanks for your help though.. At this point, I've kind of given up on King's and am praying really hard for Bristol. Bristol wanted AAB, I got A*BB, but they have my UMS marks and everything, so I've been told I have a good chance of getting in there. Plus, from what I gather, English Literature is pretty highly regarded by universities, and that's what I got my A* for, so here's hoping. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending