The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Be interested to see a video clip rather than photos but wow that's amazing if that happened.
Reply 8322
Original post by Zerforax
Be interested to see a video clip rather than photos but wow that's amazing if that happened.

yeah was trying to find it, but can't see anywhere where it showed Liverpool collecting their medals. Need a full programme on ITV/ESPN to see that.
Reply 8323
PLease don't post articles by that Jamie Kanawar fellow.
Any idea when the Warrior kits will be released?
Original post by River85
Yeah, Cech, who only turns 30 this month, is well past his best :wink: It's not like he pulled off a tremendous save in the Cup final that deserved far more credit than it got. Mata is rubbish too....

Not that Chelsea are "the second best team in Europe" but that's the nature of cup football. Rarely do both of the two best teams reach the final (if there even are two definitive best teams). They're going through a transitional period and still win an FA Cup and will be CL runners up at the very least. It's not bad...

Yup, I said we have a good claim to say it, I never said that we are and there's no way I can say we are. Coefficient wise I think we'll stay as the 3rd best team in europe if we win the champions league. Numbers don't lie tbf. I made a point about italy deserving 4 spots in the CL because of all the good clubs they have while germany really have dortmund, bayern and schalke, they said coefficients don't lie, same thing here with chelsea.

I guess that ramires guy who scored the opener in the FA cup final and got us back in the barca game is a terrible player too. Everyone says he is though.

With regards to cech, I don't even think we need him if courtois performs in england like he has done for athletico.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8326
Original post by Mr.Messy
Any idea when the Warrior kits will be released?

Coming Friday, the 11th. At least the home kit is. You'll be able to preorder it and then it will be delivered 1st of June.

The liverbird is coming back as the crest and it's not the badge anymore, there is a collar and golden trim and the flames are located at the back of the shirt, on the neck. That's what I've heard so far...
Original post by jam277
We don't have a shoddy defence which is our strength, we're just using tactics. Like under mourinho(which I admit we're not as good as) we just play defensive football. Just because you play defensive football doesn't make you a bad footballing side.

The whole rotation thing is absolute bull****. Ancelotti used the old guard for a whole season last year. We had a blip around october and from january onwards we were on fire so don't go about this old guard ****. Milan won the CL and got to the CL final with such an old team, remember that maldini was already in his 30's, cafu was god knows how old, nesta had started peaking, I'm sure their average age was around 28/29. So if you wanna talk about old guard, milan are the absolute definition of old guard.

I'm not even being blinkered. So by your logic inter weren't the best team in europe in 2010 and fluked a treble? Because I guess barcelona was always the best team in the world.

Are you telling me you play like you did against Barcelona all the time and you're just good at it? I'm sorry but how stupid are you? Chelsea played that way because they were inferior. They lined up in front of the goalkeeper and cleared everything. They played on the counter when they could as well. I am not knocking Chelsea, it was nice to see. Good achievement but like I said. The heavens smiled on them. They are not the best team in Europe. Not even slightly close.

No Barcelona were not always the best team in Europe but that Inter team that won the treble were still not better than them. Don't you get it? Winning trophies doesn't equal how good of a team you are! If Liverpool had won the FA cup, we'd have won more trophies than City this season. Does that mean we're better? The best team in England? Of course not, for the same reason that Inter team wasn't better than Barcelona. But they were closer to it than this Chelsea team. Barcelona are considered the best team in Europe because they've won two CL's in the space of four years and when they haven't gotten to the final they've been at least to the semis. They are one of the only teams in history I think to win five trophies in a season is it?

Why does my logic say they fluked a treble? I didn't say that anywhere. But it doesn't mean they are the best team in Europe. For some they may be. In all honestly it's mostly a subjective concept, it's why some prefer Madrid to Barcelona. But I don't think it's subjective to think Chelsea are not the best team in Europe atm and aren't close. It's almost a fact.

IF YOU ARE NOT THE BEST TEAM IN ENGLAND, IN WHAT WAY CAN YOU HAVE A LEGITIMATE CLAIM TO BEING THE BEST TEAM IN EUROPE?

Why are you going on about the old guard like I said something bad about them?
Original post by kuks
Coming Friday, the 11th. At least the home kit is. You'll be able to preorder it and then it will be delivered 1st of June.

The liverbird is coming back as the crest and it's not the badge anymore, there is a collar and golden trim and the flames are located at the back of the shirt, on the neck. That's what I've heard so far...

Yeah I'm really eager to see what they've come up with. :beard:
Original post by River85
Yeah, Cech, who only turns 30 this month, is well past his best :wink: It's not like he pulled off a tremendous save in the Cup final that deserved far more credit than it got. Mata is rubbish too....

Not that Chelsea are "the second best team in Europe" but that's the nature of cup football. Rarely do both of the two best teams reach the final (if there even are two definitive best teams). They're going through a transitional period and still win an FA Cup and will be CL runners up at the very least. It's not bad...

I'm not saying it's bad at all. I'm saying it's a great achievement. I'm jealous.

I'm arguing with this fool who actually thinks Chelsea have a real claim to being the best team in Europe. They have done well to get to the CL final. If they win, they are Champions of Europe. They've brought the first Champions League trophy to London, remarkebly. They can say they're the best team in London. They'd have made history. It's a pretty magnificent season and better than just making top4.

Oh yes because when I said aging players I meant Cech? Cech is 30 and that's young for a goalkeeper. It's safe to say he didn't have a great season last year but he's stepped it up this year (especially the last few months like most of the Chelsea players) and his save was :O.
Original post by Dreamweaver
We need to buy two quality players this summer. Ben Arfa and Dempsey would be amazing. Maybe a LB as well. Enrique isn't doing it for me. Thoughts?

Ben Arfa wouldn't come to us and Dempsey isn't the answer. As another squad player maybe but we have enough of those. We need real quality. Enrique will look much better when we get an actual left winger that attacks his fullback and doesn't square it back to OUR fullback 24/7 ala Stewart Downing. We also shouldn't forget how good he was before January. His dip in form is alarming but he hasn't been rested at all and we do need another LB to rotate. Especially since we are in Europe next season. Though you can say Robinson can do that job. We need to be spending our money on players that will elevate us and not just keep us at the same level. While cover for LB would be useful, it isn't fundamental.
Juventus have finished in seventh for the last couple of seasons and have won the Serie A going (for now) undefeated for the whole season. Dreamers out there. We have some hope.

It's nice to see Juventus winning again. They are just huge. I much prefer them to the two Milans.
Reply 8332
Original post by lifeshard
I'm arguing with this fool who actually thinks Chelsea have a real claim to being the best team in Europe.

I don't think he/anyone seriously believes that. If he does than he's a bit :dunce:
Ben Arfa wouldn't come to us and Dempsey isn't the answer. As another squad player maybe but we have enough of those. We need real quality. Enrique will look much better when we get an actual left winger that attacks his fullback and doesn't square it back to OUR fullback 24/7 ala Stewart Downing. We also shouldn't forget how good he was before January. His dip in form is alarming but he hasn't been rested at all and we do need another LB to rotate. Especially since we are in Europe next season. Though you can say Robinson can do that job. We need to be spending our money on players that will elevate us and not just keep us at the same level. While cover for LB would be useful, it isn't fundamental.

He did look much better pre January, good point. What we need is pacey technically gifted winger and an attacking midfielder. Perhaps Siggurdson could be a good realistic option. I just hope Kenny doesn't go for 'young British talent' again.

Edit: Just went on BBC gossip and saw this:

Liverpool are lining up a bid for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent, 28, who is nearing a return to fitness.

FFS.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not saying it's bad at all. I'm saying it's a great achievement. I'm jealous.

I'm arguing with this fool who actually thinks Chelsea have a real claim to being the best team in Europe. They have done well to get to the CL final. If they win, they are Champions of Europe. They've brought the first Champions League trophy to London, remarkebly. They can say they're the best team in London. They'd have made history. It's a pretty magnificent season and better than just making top4.

Oh yes because when I said aging players I meant Cech? Cech is 30 and that's young for a goalkeeper. It's safe to say he didn't have a great season last year but he's stepped it up this year (especially the last few months like most of the Chelsea players) and his save was :O.

Cech was player of the season last year and we had the best defensive record in the league with man city, what do you mean he didn't have a good year?

Barca were considered as the best team in europe in 09 as well. Not because of their acheivements the next year and the year after. We will probably be behind tottenham and arsenal at the end of the season, yet we're the best team in london because we could win the CL. But we're not the best team in england because we win the CL? It's one or the other.

Barca are still considered the best team in europe, but they're not the best team in their country anymore. Madrid still have more trophies in history and have won the league this year. Inter won their league 4 years in a row and got a treble in their final season, they have a good claim to be better than barca especially in that season.

With respect to the old guard, you did. Also if most of the chelsea players stepped up in the past few months, doesn't that mean that they're not past their best and were just in bad form. When you're in bad form and 23, they say it's bad form, when you're in bad form and you're 33, they say you're too old. Simple as. The old guard are 3 players, terry, lampard and drogba, terry is still englands and chelsea's best defender, lampard has got double figures in goals this season for nearly the past decade and drogba has stepped it up since he came back from the ACON.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8335
Original post by Mr.Messy
Yeah I'm really eager to see what they've come up with. :beard:

This is a fan made mockup but this is what it supposedly looks like :awesome:

Reply 8336
I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try the buy english crap again after this season.

I'l looking forward to Lucas coming back in next season, no matter who we've play in his position none have come close to him this season. Can't fault Spearing because he tries really hard, he can't help it if he just isn't very good

Since that first mistake against Arsenal at the start of the season Reina has looked a shadow of his former self. Hoping he gets back to his best next season.

------------Reina-----------
Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique
------------Lucas-----------
--------Gerrard-xxxxxxx-----
xxxxxxxx--------------Suarez
------------Carroll----------

That's how I would start next season, with obviously two purchases. The more defensive the other centre midfielder is the better imo, it'll allow Gerrard to stay up the pitch where he is most effective.

I have no idea about the right wing, someone tricky/able to cross/quick.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8337
I dunno, I still think Adam Johnson's class, and he's English. :/

But the Darren Bent rumours have come back I see... Has he ever dropped below, say, 15 league goals a season?
Original post by jam277
Cech was player of the season last year and we had the best defensive record in the league with man city, what do you mean he didn't have a good year?

Barca were considered as the best team in europe in 09 as well. Not because of their acheivements the next year and the year after. We will probably be behind tottenham and arsenal at the end of the season, yet we're the best team in london because we could win the CL. But we're not the best team in england because we win the CL? It's one or the other.

Barca are still considered the best team in europe, but they're not the best team in their country anymore. Madrid still have more trophies and have won the league this year. Inter won their league 4 years in a row and got a treble in their final season, they have a good claim to be better than barca especially in that season.

With respect to the old guard, you did. Also if most of the chelsea players stepped up in the past few months, doesn't that mean that they're not past their best and were just in bad form. When you're in bad form and 23, they say it's bad form, when you're in bad form and you're 33, they say you're too old. Simple as. The old guard are 3 players, terry, lampard and drogba, terry is still englands and chelsea's best defender, lampard has got double figures in goals this season for nearly the past decade and drogba has stepped it up since he came back from the ACON.

England doesn't end in London. If you won the CL, you could have a real claim to being the best team in LONDON. Since when is London synonomous with England? Manchester right now is the best footballing city in England so Chelsea cannot be the best team in England if TWO TEAMS IN MANCHESTER ARE 25 POINTS AHEAD OF YOU IN THE LEAGUE!

I would still count on Arsenal achieving more than Chelsea next season because Chelsea have to REBUILD while Arsenal just have to readjust.

I don't think Terry is Englands best defender. Not at all. That's Ashley Cole and he is also Chelseas best defender. If you meant to say centre back I still don't think that either. I would have no qualms if he was left out of the Euro 2012 squad. Out of all of 'Englands old guard' he's the one i'd miss the least along with Lampard. It's not like I don't like John Terry, I actually do. There have been quite a few centrebacks a level above him this season to say the least. I could name at least 6.

If you actually, whole heartedly don't think Drogba, Lampard and Terry are best their best (did you ever watch Chelsea before last season???) and you think Chelsea are the best team in Europe. I don't have much to say to you anymore.

I didn't think Cech looked all that solid last season but if Chelsea thought he was fair play. Having the best defensive record in the league doesn't mean the goalkeeper was great. We have the best defensive record after Manchester and Reina has been absolutely poor.
Original post by Deshi
I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to try the buy english crap again after this season.

I'l looking forward to Lucas coming back in next season, no matter who we've play in his position none have come close to him this season. Can't fault Spearing because he tries really hard, he can't help it if he just isn't very good

Since that first mistake against Arsenal at the start of the season Reina has looked a shadow of his former self. Hoping he gets back to his best next season.

------------Reina-----------
Johnson-Skrtel-Agger-Enrique
------------Lucas-----------
--------Gerrard-******-----
******--------------Suarez
------------Carroll----------

That's how I would start next season, with obviously two purchases. The more defensive the other centre midfielder is the better imo, it'll allow Gerrard to stay up the pitch where he is most effective.

I have no idea about the right wing, someone tricky/able to cross/quick.

Why not get henderson a run in the team in a defined position since he was 12 million and needs games to actually improve which sorts out the CM position? Also, is suarez more effective behind the striker or as a left winger or are you just trying to accommodate carroll into the team in a 4-3-3 system.

Johnson would be a good buy, but I don't see him leaving city yet until he gets frustrated with his game time but he's a vast improvement on downing.

Latest