The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6280
Original post by LastHype
The actual people there were okay, pretty friendly for the most part. I do hope your experience is better, it couldn't be much worse tbh.

Might be an idea, but I don't see what it would achieve, seeing as I don't even know who the Business Manager is. If I was going to write a letter it would probably be pretty long.

Another instance is towards the end of one shift I was working with another employee on Customer Care, she had left me to sweep and mop the entire upstairs lobby (pretty sizable). She occasionally came to check on my progress, and then returned downstairs. When I did head downstairs she was either on a cigarette break, or drinking coffee behind the counter. I mean, she could of at least offered me a drink.

Depends what the Business Manager is like, but they might not be aware of the problems you've had, are happening. You can give it to a manager to put in the office for him/her or post it to the store, addressed to 'The Business Manager, McDonald's, ...).

Sometimes new people do get stuck with people who take the mick a bit, but that is never going to change.

Original post by Stacks
Ta :smile: My newest store is almost laughable at how its organised. The crew members constantly need told what to do by managers. Like no one seems to think it'll be a good idea to sweep the floor or put a cloth wash on unless a manager tells them too.
Also saw someone drop something on the floor today and serve it :eek:

I've worked with people like that, but I'm quite happy to give them jobs to do or make them serve while I do the jobs. I've become a lot more assertive and am much more willing to lead in the past six months. Sometimes people get annoyed by being forced to work but at the end of the day, I've been working for two and a half years now so am experienced and know what I'm doing, so when people stand around doing nothing, I will give them something to do.

I think we have the same although I didn't notice the packets looking different but they're crap!
Between getting dressed and being put in the wrap they go cold and hard as if it's been sitting there for ages.

That's interesting, i've not noticed anything wrong with them but we might still be using decent ones. Perhaps they've had some supply problem and have had to sourced from elsewhere.

Try sticking at it. The general consensus at my store is that no one wanted to come back after their first shift :tongue:
Once you make friends you'll be fine and if you need help just ask :smile:
Some crew are useless with new starts though so if they seemed rude or impatient to you then ignore it. I'm sure they think they were perfect when they were trainees :rolleyes:

Definitely agree with this.
Okay, so I had my orientation exactly a week ago, got my uniform and was told the manager would call me for my first shift and from then on I'd be able to log on to Mctime to see my shifts. I didn't get a call and my Mctime wasnt working on Friday so I rang them up and explained the situation and was told the same thing; the manager would ring me when my first shift would start and they'd try and sort the Mctime thing out.

I still can't log into it and still haven't been rung by the manager. I feel a bit silly ringing up again but don't understand why I haven't been called? I expected to have started by now, not sure what to do...
Reply 6282

Original post by Steveluis10
Okay, so I had my orientation exactly a week ago, got my uniform and was told the manager would call me for my first shift and from then on I'd be able to log on to Mctime to see my shifts. I didn't get a call and my Mctime wasnt working on Friday so I rang them up and explained the situation and was told the same thing; the manager would ring me when my first shift would start and they'd try and sort the Mctime thing out.

I still can't log into it and still haven't been rung by the manager. I feel a bit silly ringing up again but don't understand why I haven't been called? I expected to have started by now, not sure what to do...
From my experience I was given shifts for the following week after my orientation which seems to be the norm for my store :tongue: though I know some stores start people out literally days after their orientation.
Since the manager hasn't called you back it's unlikely you'll have any shifts this week and the schedule most likely won't have been completed for next week yet so I'd just wait until the end of the week to call them up if you still haven't heard anything again.
Original post by tm00131
Depends what the Business Manager is like, but they might not be aware of the problems you've had, are happening. You can give it to a manager to put in the office for him/her or post it to the store, addressed to 'The Business Manager, McDonald's, ...).

Thanks for your advice, I have a "progress meeting" on Friday with the bloke who originally interviewed me (and that I've never seen again) would this be a good place to air my experience? Seeing as I'm pretty much set on quitting for an alternative job.
Reply 6284
Thanks for your advice, I have a "progress meeting" on Friday with the bloke who originally interviewed me (and that I've never seen again) would this be a good place to air my experience? Seeing as I'm pretty much set on quitting for an alternative job.

You may as well :smile: I think 'progress meeting' is another name for probationary review, which is where you review how you've done and find out if you've passed/failed your probation period. But I imagine your out of your probation period now, I believe it's 3 weeks. So I don't think they can fail and fire you (not 100% sure on that though).
Original post by Stacks

From my experience I was given shifts for the following week after my orientation which seems to be the norm for my store :tongue: though I know some stores start people out literally days after their orientation.
Since the manager hasn't called you back it's unlikely you'll have any shifts this week and the schedule most likely won't have been completed for next week yet so I'd just wait until the end of the week to call them up if you still haven't heard anything again.

Cheers for your help but turned out I got a call an hour after I posted! I'm in tomorrow 4 pm 'til 10 pm and then sunday 8 a.m til 5 pm. Only problem is I just tried on my uniform and my pants no way near fit me, going to have to get a pair that does but hey ho! First shift tomorrow then, what can I expect?
Original post by tm00131
You may as well :smile: I think 'progress meeting' is another name for probationary review, which is where you review how you've done and find out if you've passed/failed your probation period. But I imagine your out of your probation period now, I believe it's 3 weeks. So I don't think they can fail and fire you (not 100% sure on that though).

I'm pretty sure that's what its about, I've only done like 4 shifts in 2 months since my interview though, probably why it's now. Will I be given a chance to air my thoughts and inform the manager of my intention to quit? Or is it a one way process? :confused:
Do you guys think these will be okay to wear at work?

http://www.sfceurope.com/mcduk/catalog/product/view/id/758/category/4

I have always worn steel toe cap boots but I can't find the pair that I usually wear anywhere, plus I think they are a bit excessive, I am more interested in the non-slip than having my feet encased in metal (plus the price of £20 is appealing) :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6288
Original post by alexlemon2

I have always worn steel toe cap boots but I can't find the pair that I usually wear anywhere, plus I think they are a bit excessive, I am more interested in the non-slip than having my feet encased in metal (plus the price of £20 is appealing) :biggrin:

The shoes on the website has been recommended by the company, so yes.
Reply 6289
Cheers for your help but turned out I got a call an hour after I posted! I'm in tomorrow 4 pm 'til 10 pm and then sunday 8 a.m til 5 pm. Only problem is I just tried on my uniform and my pants no way near fit me, going to have to get a pair that does but hey ho! First shift tomorrow then, what can I expect?

Depends where your put (kitchen, front counter or dining area) as to what it'll be like, but generally be prepared to learn a lot. You should have someone experienced with you for your first few shifts who'll train you. Don't be overwhelmed by it all, when I started I was amazed by how good and fast some people were, but nobody expects you to be great on your first shift, you'll make a lot of mistakes and learn from them. :smile:

I'm pretty sure that's what its about, I've only done like 4 shifts in 2 months since my interview though, probably why it's now. Will I be given a chance to air my thoughts and inform the manager of my intention to quit? Or is it a one way process? :confused:

It should be two-way, you should be asked how you think its going and how you feel about your job. That should give you chance to air your thoughts. Are you sure about quitting, you might find thing are better once you've been able to air your thoughts.

Original post by alexlemon2

They look fine to me.
Thanks folks, I just thought they might look a bit casual as they look more like trainers than shoes but I've gone ahead and bought them now :smile:
Hey everyone! :smile:

Been offered an interview and OJE for next Thursday and not quite sure what to expect, Anyone able to englighten me a bit?

Also, How soon after this should I expect to hear back from them and will I actually hear back from them if I'm not successful or will I only hear back if I get the job?

Lastly, Anyone got any tips to get me through the interview/OJE, VERY scared but so want this job! :tongue:

Thanks in advance :smile:

George xx
Reply 6292
Original post by GeorgeHWheeler
Hey everyone! :smile:

Been offered an interview and OJE for next Thursday and not quite sure what to expect, Anyone able to englighten me a bit?

Also, How soon after this should I expect to hear back from them and will I actually hear back from them if I'm not successful or will I only hear back if I get the job?

Lastly, Anyone got any tips to get me through the interview/OJE, VERY scared but so want this job! :tongue:

Thanks in advance :smile:

George xx

Some stores don't do OJEs despite saying so in the email, so don't be shocked if you don't end up doing one! Plenty of stores make you do them though, so if you do, I'd expect to either be greeting customers/presenting orders behind the till, or greeting customers/handing out balloons on dining area. They're looking for confident, friendly people, and also you should pick up any tips from whoever will be working with you.

I've worked with people during their OJEs whilst the BM has looked on, and the people I always thought were best were those who showed confidence and spoke as if they were confident (even if they weren't) and those who picked up on anything I told them.

The time to hear back is dependant on the store, but generally I'd give it about a week.
Original post by Ronda
Some stores don't do OJEs despite saying so in the email, so don't be shocked if you don't end up doing one! Plenty of stores make you do them though, so if you do, I'd expect to either be greeting customers/presenting orders behind the till, or greeting customers/handing out balloons on dining area. They're looking for confident, friendly people, and also you should pick up any tips from whoever will be working with you.

I've worked with people during their OJEs whilst the BM has looked on, and the people I always thought were best were those who showed confidence and spoke as if they were confident (even if they weren't) and those who picked up on anything I told them.

The time to hear back is dependant on the store, but generally I'd give it about a week.

if you were handing out balloons, would that be for a customer care role? i notice you can apply for crew member or customer care. i would assume that customer care would be handing out balloons and being the very confident ones while crew members are there to take orders and serve the food. each role is customer facing but the customer care role requires much more confidence and social skills. whereas crew member is similar to working behind a till at a supermarket or in a shop.:tongue: if i'm wrong please tell me but thats what i gathered from applying for different roles.

what can i expect from the interview? i know you cant give out precise questions but in general what can i expect and how can i maximise my chances?

tyvm for the help!:cool:
Reply 6294
Original post by Movember
if you were handing out balloons, would that be for a customer care role? i notice you can apply for crew member or customer care. i would assume that customer care would be handing out balloons and being the very confident ones while crew members are there to take orders and serve the food. each role is customer facing but the customer care role requires much more confidence and social skills. whereas crew member is similar to working behind a till at a supermarket or in a shop.:tongue: if i'm wrong please tell me but thats what i gathered from applying for different roles.

what can i expect from the interview? i know you cant give out precise questions but in general what can i expect and how can i maximise my chances?

tyvm for the help!:cool:

Yes, for when you're actually working, but for the OJE you could do either or no matter what position you're applying for. The OJE is used to see how you interact with customers, you won't be doing stuff like handling money or getting orders together or using the till or anything.

The thing I'd be say, is just be confident in your answers, and they'll also be looking for people who won't be working for a couple of months then leaving. They'll be wanting someone who'll want to be working there for at least a few years, whether it's to tide you over school/college/uni for a few years, or something more long term it doesn't matter. They're not going to be wanting someone who's in their final year of uni for example, cause they'll just run off when a better opportunity comes along.
Have an OJE in a store without a drive thru. If I actually have an OJE, what should I expect?

Cheers,
Lee.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6296
Original post by Ronda

Original post by LeeStrong
Have an OJE in a store without a drive thru. If I actually have an OJE, what should I expect?

Cheers,
Lee.

:smile: hope that helps.
Original post by Ronda
:smile: hope that helps.

Thanks Ronda. You'll have to excuse my laziness if I just skipped to the last page I would have had my answer! :P Thanks again.
So...I had my first shift last night 4 pm-10 pm, went better than expected, I didn't make too many mistakes and got used to making the burgers in the end, did some cleaning and refilled the milkshake machines etc!

Question though; I've been told by the manager to come in next on Sunday at 8 a.m til 5 pm which I'm fine with but I can now log into Mctime after not being able to do so all week and it doesn't have me down for that day or my day yesterday but has me down for a week today at 2 pm 'til 10 pm....I don't understand, will I be paid for last night and this sunday? I bloody well hope so! And does your shifts only show up weekly? As in, will I only have that Thursday for next week because there's nothing else up on Mctime and you're meant to find out 2 weeks in advanance aren't you?
Reply 6299
So...I had my first shift last night 4 pm-10 pm, went better than expected, I didn't make too many mistakes and got used to making the burgers in the end, did some cleaning and refilled the milkshake machines etc!

Question though; I've been told by the manager to come in next on Sunday at 8 a.m til 5 pm which I'm fine with but I can now log into Mctime after not being able to do so all week and it doesn't have me down for that day or my day yesterday but has me down for a week today at 2 pm 'til 10 pm....I don't understand, will I be paid for last night and this sunday? I bloody well hope so! And does your shifts only show up weekly? As in, will I only have that Thursday for next week because there's nothing else up on Mctime and you're meant to find out 2 weeks in advanance aren't you?

You are paid according to what the clock in machine says you've worked, not McTime, so don't worry about that. How soon you find out about shifts depends on when the scheduling manager does the schedule. I don't know when I'm working next week yet, I'm hoping next weeks schedule goes up for us tomorrow! It can be annoying having to wait to know when I'm working the next week. If the following weeks days are shaded, then the schedule hasn't been completed for that week.

Latest

Trending

Trending