The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ct2k7
Question is, are the homophobes putting the children first, or themselves first?

Well i imagine homophobes would be anti gay rights in general. I myself am in favour of gays having exactly the same rights as everyone else including the right to form m/f partnerships for the purpose of child rearing.
Original post by thescientist17
Honestly? I don't think they should, they could foster maybe, but not adopt. It's just my opinion and I have nothing against gay couples and support same sex marriage.. but I would hate to be adopted by a gay couple personally. Yes people get bullied for other things- but I think this is one of the worst things and stays with you for the rest of your life. I can see why people agree though as it gives them a chance to raise a child. But overall I'd say no. Just my opinion!

NYU2012 has posted research (I don't remember if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but if its not here I'll get him to post it) that says that it actually isn't any worse than any other kind of bullying.
And this is supplemented by my own personal experience (I know anecdotes don't count as evidence, but it does give you a bit of perspective) that when I was bullied for things about my parents (they're not gay but they're both obese) I found that less traumatic and it stuck with me less than when I was bullied for things to do with me (intelligence, not being good at sports).
And having gay parents does not automatically mean a child will be bullied, I do know someone who has two gay mums and he has never been bullied for it.
Reply 982
Adopt Yes, But to biologically have one if your gay in my opinion is pointless as, well for gays it would be pretty much the same as the adopt option.
Original post by minimarshmallow
NYU2012 has posted research (I don't remember if it was in this thread or somewhere else, but if its not here I'll get him to post it) that says that it actually isn't any worse than any other kind of bullying.
And this is supplemented by my own personal experience (I know anecdotes don't count as evidence, but it does give you a bit of perspective) that when I was bullied for things about my parents (they're not gay but they're both obese) I found that less traumatic and it stuck with me less than when I was bullied for things to do with me (intelligence, not being good at sports).
And having gay parents does not automatically mean a child will be bullied, I do know someone who has two gay mums and he has never been bullied for it.

People dont get bullied for intelligence. :rolleyes: They get bullied for the sort off personality that often goes along with it. Having debated with you i dont think your all that bright fwiw.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ganhad
Adopt Yes, But to biologically have one if your gay in my opinion is pointless as, well for gays it would be pretty much the same as the adopt option.

Well no, it wouldn't. Because the child would be biologically theirs. There are also some cases when the sister of a gay man might have his partners child so it can be biologically related to the both of them.
I was bullied by this one girl because I was really good at science and maths and I never had to attend the revision sessions for tests and exams and she did. And then when I still got a better grade than her and she was jealous that it was so easy for me and would try to make me feel bad so I wouldn't do better than her anymore. I know this because I saw her last summer in the pub and she told me and apologised for how she'd treated me.
I was never cocky about it, in fact I hated it when my teacher would announce test results because I preferred to keep myself to myself when I was in high school. You don't know me, stop thinking you understand my life!

one girl isnt bullying

although i agree that jealousy is a big problem in our society that is largely unaddressed

some thick ugly little **** launches an unprovoked weasely little vendetta against you, you tell them the truth about what they are and suddenly your in the wrong
(edited 11 years ago)
One event is not really bullying, it's an isolated incident. One girl making my life hell over the course of 5 years is bullying.
Now, let's get back to the topic at hand instead of you showing your ignorance some more.

1v1 = fair. Bullying is the main body of the class vs 1.
Reply 987
Original post by green.tea
In all my time at school i never saw one kid bullied for being fat, ginger, intelligent or bad at sports. I saw people bullied for being teachers pets and snitching. Mine was a pretty tough school. Lots of fighting and stuff.

What do you want, a bloody medal. Your useless, irrelevant drivel is no longer laughable, it is merely irritating.
How is this even a discussion in the 21st century?

57 pages! Some people should be ashamed.

Of course they should be allowed.

Whats the best argument against it? They'll be bullied?
Original post by Jester94
What do you want, a bloody medal. Your useless, irrelevant drivel is no longer laughable, it is merely irritating.

Im saying that bullying is largely down to the personality of a person. Which isnt exactly opposing you on this issue.
Original post by Alpharius
How is this even a discussion in the 21st century?

57 pages! Some people should be ashamed.

Of course they should be allowed.

Whats the best argument against it? They'll be bullied?

That research done by people that arent left leaning academics in fields like sociology shows the need for mothers and fathers.
Reply 991
Original post by thescientist17
Honestly? I don't think they should, they could foster maybe, but not adopt. It's just my opinion and I have nothing against gay couples and support same sex marriage.. but I would hate to be adopted by a gay couple personally. Yes people get bullied for other things- but I think this is one of the worst things and stays with you for the rest of your life. I can see why people agree though as it gives them a chance to raise a child. But overall I'd say no. Just my opinion!

How is fostering any different from adopting, in terms of the bullies? If someone is going to bulky a kid because they have been adopted by a gay couple, they would also bully them if they were being fostered by a gay couple; semantics generally don't matter to bullies.

Well i imagine homophobes would be anti gay rights in general. I myself am in favour of gays having exactly the same rights as everyone else including the right to form m/f partnerships for the purpose of child rearing.

Even though we are perfectly capable of having kids using sperm donors/IVF/surrogacy etc and this have no need to form m/f partnerships, as you put it.

Original post by Ganhad

Adopting a child and having a child aren't the same, for gay people or straight people.

1v1 = fair. Bullying is the main body of the class vs 1.

Why am I not surprised that you vastly misunderstand bullying, considering you fail to grasp anything else?
Nah it would cause too much bullying and hatred. It's best if we do not diverge from the natural order too far. I mean it's okay to be looked after by two gays, being a guardian, but treating the child as a SON is the problem.
Original post by JonathanM
Nah it would cause too much bullying and hatred. It's best if we do not diverge from the natural order too far. I mean it's okay to be looked after by two gays, being a guardian, but treating the child as a SON is the problem.

Why are we dealing with bullying by removing the trait from the victim rather than trying to change the attitudes of the bullies?
Naturalistic fallacy - if we didn't diverge from the natural order and into treating illness we wouldn't have medicine. Not to mention adopting at all would be 'diverging from the natural order' as you put it.
Research shows that same-sex parents are as good as opposite-sex parents.
Why are we dealing with bullying by removing the trait from the victim rather than trying to change the attitudes of the bullies?
Naturalistic fallacy - if we didn't diverge from the natural order and into treating illness we wouldn't have medicine. Not to mention adopting at all would be 'diverging from the natural order' as you put it.

Cats eat grass when their sick. Medicine isnt diverging from the natural order at all. Perfectly natural to discover properties of plants and chemicals over time.
Reply 995

How about a man and a transgendered lady?

Research shows lmfao... Obviously they're human. If you have two dads and you go to school, it will be used against you. It is not safe for the child. Gay people are generally funny guiz uno
Reply 997
Research shows lmfao... Obviously they're human. If you have two dads and you go to school, it will be used against you. It is not safe for the child. Gay people are generally funny guiz uno

Someone I knew has two dads. They got no stick for it, in fact, the kids at my school were more perplexed than anything.

I don't know why you think research is funny. Psychological research is the way we know about how human beings work and interact.
It might lead to bullying, but so might letting ginger parents or fat parents or poor parents adopt, and I don't see anyone campaigning against that.
There's also the matter of it not being any worse than any other form of bullying - and the ridiculous suggestion that we stop bullying by removing an aspect of the identity of the victim!
Original post by ct2k7
Someone I knew has two dads. They got no stick for it, in fact, the kids at my school were more perplexed than anything.

Thank you :smile:
There's also my friend from high school with two mums.
Similarly, the only comments ever made were by his friends and along the lines of 'Which one is your biological mum?' and 'Does your brother come from the same sperm donor?'.
Edit: Oh and 'Is it done by a doctor or...' :rofl: That one was always funny
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending