The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just emailed the 41A team for clarification on the missing rehearsals.
I fear that we may be told - one miss and you are out!

Have a good Sunday.

EG

Let us know how it all runs today Pinnerite? Daughter has to go there soon and really wanted to drive but no others from our neck of woods as yet. Would only take 25 mins on a Sunday too!
Reply 8481
Original post by Samantha_Walker
Hey everyone me again sorry !!

I was just wondering those who are traveling into London to do the olympics where are you staying? At present I can only seem to find hotels which are stupid prices :frown:

Thank you, I'm really struggling

xx

Hey! I am in a similar position to you, I am 20 and have never stayed in London before but will be in the run up when we have consecutive days of rehearsals. I'll be staying in Halls of residence in Hackney, which is cheap because it is self catering and as all the students will have gone home. I'm going to be there for 10 days and it works out at just over £18 a night which is waaaaay cheaper than any single room in a hostel! Plus this has a kitchen and bathroom between only 4 people. http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/summeraccommodation/cordwainerscourt/

Would be good to have a few performers staying there too! Its in a great location for the rehearsals and stadium. :biggrin:
Reply 8482
Original post by Pinnerite
Just passed Bromley-by-Bow on way to first 1:1-nostalgic!

I hope it goes well today. I wonder if 1:1 venue will make the rehearsals are much different to the ones to date. I think we start there next weekend.
Reply 8483
Original post by lauski22
Hey! I am in a similar position to you, I am 20 and have never stayed in London before but will be in the run up when we have consecutive days of rehearsals. I'll be staying in Halls of residence in Hackney, which is cheap because it is self catering and as all the students will have gone home. I'm going to be there for 10 days and it works out at just over £18 a night which is waaaaay cheaper than any single room in a hostel! Plus this has a kitchen and bathroom between only 4 people. http://www.arts.ac.uk/housing/summeraccommodation/cordwainerscourt/

Would be good to have a few performers staying there too! Its in a great location for the rehearsals and stadium. :biggrin:

That's great that you can stay in student accommodation. I work in Hackney and live in Bethnal Green, so if you need any assistance feel free to PM me.
Reply 8484
Original post by Samantha_Walker
Hey everyone me again sorry !!

I was just wondering those who are traveling into London to do the olympics where are you staying? At present I can only seem to find hotels which are stupid prices :frown:

Thank you, I'm really struggling

xx

The Hackney student accommodation mentioned by Lauski could be a goer, and it's close by.
If you would be happy on a sofa bed and staying with a family you would be welcome to stay with us your 1st trip to London. My husband and I live in Bethnal Green with our 4 and 5 year olds, so it's very quick and easy to get to the stadium from us.
At Friday's rehearsal that ended at 9.30 lots of people had several hours travelling to get home, whereas I could just jump in the car and be home in 10 mins. I've spoken to my husband about it, and if a fellow volunteer who I've got to know through this forum or at rehearsals is going to have problems getting home or can't find/afford accommodation for a night or 2 then they could stay with us if they don't mind sleeping in the living room. I figure that it'd all be part of the Olympic experience.
Original post by Pinnerite
Just passed Bromley-by-Bow on way to first 1:1-nostalgic!

I was feeling the same - I have one more visit to 3 Mills - going to miss the old place. Good luck with new venue. PM me with all the details when you can.
Reply 8486

The location of that student accommodation is really good. It's just off the main road that runs from central Hackney down to Bethnal Green tube. There are loads of busses that run frequently to the tube and it takes less than 5 mins.
Reply 8487
Samba samba day, feeling the butterflies but ready to do lots of enthusiastic smiling.

Equally nostalgic to leave 3mills but 1:1 was awesome and best rehearsal for me yet :-)
Reply 8488
Original post by Essex Girl
Still in 41a and feeling slightly deflated as it would appear that our role may have possibly been reduced. It looked before, from the rehearsal schedules, that we were possibly doing different things in both ceremonies.
I would say that now we will be doing the same and just having a quick polish up, due to the reduced amount of rehearsals between the two ceremonies, for the closing.

Bit of diary re-organisation going on too - but that's life.

Also a bit concerned that we now appear not to be able to miss any rehearsals! Has anyone emailed our co-ordinators to clarify this matter? If the "two misses" applies to all then surely it should apply to us too? Let's hope this was just a typo slip up?

So who is still in 41a and ready for first rehearsal which is VERY soon!!

EG

unfortunately they put ANY in very big caps and bold so it must mean we cannot miss any?! And I don't think it means our role is reduced , I think it means we will be having to work even harder at rehearsals...it does say on mine that we will be having long sessions due to reduced days.....ho hum here we go!!!!! So exciting now that we are almost there :smile:
Original post by Ropey1
Samba samba day, feeling the butterflies but ready to do lots of enthusiastic smiling.

Equally nostalgic to leave 3mills but 1:1 was awesome and best rehearsal for me yet :-)

Good luck! Hope you have fun with those Brazilian rhythms and getting into sexy samba queen mode - if you get stuck just shimmy and smile. Do warm up beforehand if you need to, because as I remember they go straight into teaching the routine.
Original post by Essex Girl
Still in 41a and feeling slightly deflated as it would appear that our role may have possibly been reduced. It looked before, from the rehearsal schedules, that we were possibly doing different things in both ceremonies.
I would say that now we will be doing the same and just having a quick polish up, due to the reduced amount of rehearsals between the two ceremonies, for the closing.

Also a bit concerned that we now appear not to be able to miss any rehearsals! Has anyone emailed our co-ordinators to clarify this matter? If the "two misses" applies to all then surely it should apply to us too? Let's hope this was just a typo slip up?

I think we are doing similar things in both ceremonies with just the details varying - but that's what I've always assumed. I am sure that some of the earlier sessions will be 'Closing' related even before we do the Opening - we'll just have to keep it straight in our heads. The reduction in rehearsals between Ceremonies to me just says that the 1:1 won't be able to handle our special skills so not a huge amount of point in being there.

I think the difference in the 'two misses and you're out' policy is because of the number of rehearsals. We basically have two and then are straight into what was always listed as compulsory anyhow unlike the other segments who had up to 15 or so before their compulsory ones. The frustrating thing for some (hope for reserves) is that the first one has moved forward so if you'd organised to be away before your rehearsals started after you got the initial set of dates, you'd be 'out'. I thought the email was fairly clear on this point - so didn't bother asking for any more clarification.

And a little later than normal since I was out last night...
14-10-07.jpg

Best of luck to those with Rio auditions today...
Original post by Caroline27
Good luck! Hope you have fun with those Brazilian rhythms and getting into sexy samba queen mode - if you get stuck just shimmy and smile. Do warm up beforehand if you need to, because as I remember they go straight into teaching the routine.

No, no warm up, straight in with the choreo and no cool down either which makes me wonder whether this was the factor behind my recent calf injury :mad: - don't know why I didn't take the opportunity of doing floor stretches at the end :eek: Probably me gassing too much to other people to even think about it :frown:
Original post by Kit-Yan
The location of that student accommodation is really good. It's just off the main road that runs from central Hackney down to Bethnal Green tube. There are loads of busses that run frequently to the tube and it takes less than 5 mins.

I too am struggling for accommodation, is this close to 1:1 and the Stadium or is this better for 3 Mills? Cheapest halls accommodation I can find for 3 nights end of August is £178!! I've got a hostel booked for the 3Mills rehearsals but haven't a clue what to do, where to stay or how to get to 1:1? Thanks :confused:
So I had an interesting moment at the 1:1 rehearsal yesterday. Long story cut short, for a while they couldn't find me on their list and said they weren't sure if I was in the right group/rehearsal as I may have been changed, and asked if I could do 2 rehearsals back-to-back (yesterday morning AND afternoon) and learn 2 different routines while they tried to figure it out. Being desperate to keep my place secure, I said "yes, of course", but was panicking that maybe they'd end up saying it was all a big mistake and I wasn't full cast after all! But thankfully they eventually figured out the admin mistake and I was in the right place. *phew!* I was so relieved I gave the coordinator a hug! Lol.

Tremendous fun at rehearsal, though a tip for people going to outdoor rehearsals now: I'd recommend wearing sunscreen. Even though it was fairly overcast, when you're out in it for 6 hours, the sun still trickles through the clouds. I've got red sunburnt shoulders/face/neck today.
I'd personally would look for accommodation based slightly further away as it would work out cheaper. I know that it's good in terms of convenience to find somewhere nearby but bearing in mind that many places would be "uping their prices because of the Olympics", this has got to be factored in.
Reply 8495
Original post by Redthunder
I too am struggling for accommodation, is this close to 1:1 and the Stadium or is this better for 3 Mills? Cheapest halls accommodation I can find for 3 nights end of August is £178!! I've got a hostel booked for the 3Mills rehearsals but haven't a clue what to do, where to stay or how to get to 1:1? Thanks :confused:

The thing is, it will be expensive to only stay for a few days, when a lot of the cheap halls like this one only take bookings for a min of 1 week. These halls are only £130 for a whole week! This is the cheapest I could find anywhere. Get onto google maps or the London transport site to work out how to get to 1:1 etc.
Reply 8496
Original post by Dancerwoman
I'd personally would look for accommodation based slightly further away as it would work out cheaper. I know that it's good in terms of convenience to find somewhere nearby but bearing in mind that many places would be "uping their prices because of the Olympics", this has got to be factored in.

That's what I did first of all, looking within the 20miles of London! - literally spent hours finding the best option... and could not believe my luck when I found this one :biggrin: half the price of some of the cheaper ones on the outskirts of London. great location for seeing London too, as I have only visited the city when I came for auditions - I am quite keen to do the sights and make the most of it!
The thing is, it will be expensive to only stay for a few days, when a lot of the cheap halls like this one only take bookings for a min of 1 week. These halls are only £130 for a whole week! This is the cheapest I could find anywhere. Get onto google maps or the London transport site to work out how to get to 1:1 etc.

Excellent point - and bear in mind, that there's nothing stopping you from moving out after 3 days if people don't want to spend some time in London afterwards. Pretty sure that you could just hand in the key early. I went past some student studio flats at Elephant & Castle yesterday that were also advertising availability during August - not as handy in some ways but still just a couple of minutes until you're on Bakerloo/Northern Lines and the Tube.

In terms of where places are convenient for, redthunder, I wouldn't worry too much. It's highly unlikely that you're going to be within walking distance of a venue so you'll have to do some form of transport. In terms of where those halls are, they're on the right side of London for all the places where you need to be. It's unlikely to take more than 30 minutes or so on public transport to get to any of them - and your Ceremonies travelcard will cover that.
With regards to 1:1 venue, although my Segment are not due to be there yet, I spoke to my Cast Co-Ordinator about this and my plans to drive down there and they told me that there will be provisions for Cast Members to drive down, just as long as there is a minimum of 3 people in the car. So, I'd suggest all the car drivers out there who are due to rehearse, to double-check with their Cast Co-Ordinators and "buddy up" with other co-Cast Members in your Segments for the drive down. This especially would those who may struggle with the travel down there by Public Transport.

That's what I'm planning to do anyway for as I am based outside the Zone 6 and in "the Shires", it works out slightly cheaper for me to drive down (petrol vs train ticket) than public transport. Also I've found last time when I drove down to rehearsals, that it took me a little over an hour to get home driving as opposed to 2 and a half hours by train.
Hmmm, it appears that they are still looking for cyclists for the Opening Ceremony - more auditions were being held today for it. Invites to audition seem to have gone out to the main London cycling clubs - which makes sense since they are more likely to be comfortable cycling in close proximity to one another than other cyclists.

I wonder if davelobley (our cyclist auditionee from early March) got a place.

And it seems that the cyclists group also have a 'one miss and you're out' strategy to rehearsals.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest