The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flakeydom
And, of course, there are still no offers for Para closing - aside from Coldplay... and even that only came to light today! :tongue:

Damn! that Coldplay get all the breaks

do you reckon Chris Martin is sleeping with one of the Directors?

lol

Chicky :hello:
Original post by Pinnerite
have you thought at all of applying for the Rio handover in the Olympic or Para closing ceremonies?

Rio Handover sounds amazing-the auditions sound great too -Samba looks fun, I'm sure I could pick it up-I was lucky to learn salsa a few years ago, & enjoyed it immensely

-But I couldn't attend any rehearsals during the Games - I work in retail and my firm has put a blanket ban on leave from late July to early Sept -(that's why I couldn't apply for the paras,) but I'm half willing to risk it - and just throw myself at the bosses mercy if I'm lucky enough to get a place

Original post by Chicken Licken
Rio Handover sounds amazing-the auditions sound great too -Samba looks fun, I'm sure I could pick it up-I was lucky to learn salsa a few years ago, & enjoyed it immensely

-But I couldn't attend any rehearsals during the Games - I work in retail and my firm has put a blanket ban on leave from late July to early Sept -(that's why I couldn't apply for the paras,) but I'm half willing to risk it - and just throw myself at the bosses mercy if I'm lucky enough to get a place

The Rio organisers are really accommodating and give you a sheet where you can fill in all the times you can't manage/times of day etc and say they are trying to fit round people's commitments as they have lots of different groups. For details of rehearsals see http://www.flaghandover2012.co.uk/faq.php but they don't seem to be too bothered if you have to miss a rehearsal as long as you know what you are doing!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Samantha_Walker

Also to top today off which is amazing, a local Health and Safety company called OSCAT Safety Solutions have offered to sponsor me with my travel which is brilliant. All I have to do for them is wear their hoodies and t-shirts with their logo on .... who can say no to that ???

Erm....I hate to say this but I remember at one of my rehearsals, the Cast Co-Ordinators mentioned that sometimes the rehearsals may be filmed and in view of this, we were advised not to wear any obvious brand advertising.:frown:

I'm sure this is across the board with many of the Segments.

In the meantime, very pleased to hear that you've sorted something out in relation to accommodation.:smile:
Original post by Pinnerite
The Rio organisers are really accommodating /QUOTE]

Thanks Pinnerite

I've already passed on the Rio Application link to friends- who missed out in applying for the London side of things

That info about Rio rehearsal dates -Very useful

I'll sleep on it
Thanks again

Original post by Dancerwoman
Erm....I hate to say this but I remember at one of my rehearsals, the Cast Co-Ordinators mentioned that sometimes the rehearsals may be filmed and in view of this, we were advised not to wear any obvious brand advertising.:frown:

In the meantime, very pleased to hear that you've sorted something out in relation to accommodation.:smile:

Hey !!! Thank you for letting me know this is something to take into account .... I'll have a chat to them see what they think ..... might have to come up with something else .... Thank you !!! xxx
Original post by Dancerwoman

It does say in our instructions not to wear anything with too obvious a logo but our bibs cover much of our fronts and backs - they are not the paper pin on type from auditions. However this would possibly also cover up the sponsor logo although I suppose you could say you were wearing the Tshirt and wearing it on the way to rehearsals of course.
Wearing their hoody is probably OK when travelling down though or when in your own area so they would still get local advertising which might be more use than at a closed rehearsal. You might also get them to do a splash in local paper to say that they are helping you fulfil an Olympic dream.

Hope they are OK with it though and still help out.
Thats a good idea, thanks !! :smile:

i know Staffordshire county council are talking about doing a spread on it as I work for them .... so could mention it to them ....

Thank you for your ideas and advice, I'll just have to take a spear top to get changed in once I'm down there I think ..... wear everything else when I'm out and about in town :biggrin: xxxxxx
Original post by LauraN1
I've moved to 41 B now.
So 41A starts on the 7th of June and 41B starts on the 13th?
41B has 10 rehearsals + 2 shows. How many rehearsals do you 41A guys have?

Hey Laura !!

I'm in the same group as you !! We will have to look out for each other :smile:
I'm slightly concerned like all that our roles have been reduced :frown: seems as rehearsals have been reduced so much however it is helping finance and work wise.

xxxx
Reply 8570
Original post by Samantha_Walker

Also to top today off which is amazing, a local Health and Safety company called OSCAT Safety Solutions have offered to sponsor me with my travel which is brilliant. All I have to do for them is wear their hoodies and t-shirts with their logo on .... who can say no to that ??? :banana:

Hi Samantha

Welcome and congrats on your role, and glad you have your accommodation sorted.
However quick word of warning about your OSCAT sponsorship. You may not have been told this yet but no branding of anykind is going to be allowed inside the rehearsal venues (I think because some of it may be filmed), even to the extent that they told us that guys will be coming down with ducktape and covering over thinks like Nike logos on trainers. They don't seem to have enforced that much yet but it will be coming. I'm not sure whether a Health and Safety Company would count as 'branding' but be careful what you have agreed with your sponsor, it might be wise to check it out first..
If you're only wearing their gear on the journey but not in the venues you should be OK.
Reply 8571
Sorry Samantha, realised some others have already given this advice - didn't read their posts until after I had finished mine and refreshed the browser, shouldn't wander off and finish other things halfway through !
Reply 8572
Met Cornishscot and Twilightz yesterday! :biggrin: I should have said something other than just "hi"! hahaha! Sorry ladies, I panicked! :colondollar:
So now they have the headline act for the Para closing, it must be time for some other offers to come out...

67 days to go is a Ralph Lauren top - appropriate since he dresses the US team for the Ceremonies (IIRC)

image3xl.jpg
Reply 8574
Hi everyone again
Some of you may recall me I was the one that started a list then went off line (sorry)……well I damaged my ankle & after 3 weeks thinking it was just a sprain went to hospital and have 2 breaks in my leg & damaged ligaments. So a bit down with it all as worried about being Ok for rehearsals, in plaster cast 6wks till 30th May then putting me in a support boot for 4 weeks.

So looking for any input here, I’m in group 41A & got the updated schedule Saturday, the move of our first rehearsal to 7th June really knocked me, I will only be 8 days out of my plaster, the 22nd was fine as would almost be at the end of the support boot.

Do I email to coordinators to tell them now that I will be coming in a boot or leave it & just turn up (if Doc says Ok to stand 4hrs so soon after) the next rehearsal on the 28th I should be fine. I’m really worried if I email they will knock me out, as they say in the email there are a lot of eager understudies.
Reply 8575
Def tell them and explain that you can still attend but not do some things. We have had people in a boot at our audition and they just stood to the side at times but if you can walk on it you'll still be able to get the hang of your coordinates etc... which are just as key as the moves. How many rehearsals will you miss - some understudies are only just joining us and technically have missed 4.

R
Reply 8576
Original post by Lara5
Met Cornishscot and Twilightz yesterday! :biggrin: I should have said something other than just "hi"! hahaha! Sorry ladies, I panicked! :colondollar:

Hi Lara,
I think I spoke with you in the queue - if you are 47c with friend who knows Gafieira, I am the 47a-er. We enjoyed the audition although my legs are a bit sore today! How did you find it?

R
Reply 8577
Original post by Ropey1
Def tell them and explain that you can still attend but not do some things. We have had people in a boot at our audition and they just stood to the side at times but if you can walk on it you'll still be able to get the hang of your coordinates etc... which are just as key as the moves. How many rehearsals will you miss - some understudies are only just joining us and technically have missed 4.

R

Thanks Ropey1, I shouldnt miss any, its just the 7th I dont think I will be as 'active' as they may want me to be. Glad you say some others turned up in boots that makes me feel loads better :smile:
Original post by Zassy003

So looking for any input here, I’m in group 41A & got the updated schedule Saturday, the move of our first rehearsal to 7th June really knocked me, I will only be 8 days out of my plaster, the 22nd was fine as would almost be at the end of the support boot.

Do I email to coordinators to tell them now that I will be coming in a boot or leave it & just turn up (if Doc says Ok to stand 4hrs so soon after) the next rehearsal on the 28th I should be fine. I’m really worried if I email they will knock me out, as they say in the email there are a lot of eager understudies.

I don't think we are going to be hardcore movers and shakers so you should be fine. I would drop them a line to say that you will be recently out of plaster so nay be limited in some movement or need to sit down during first rehearsal but should be fine for second

See you on 7th. At least I will be able to find you easily if you are in a boot!
Reply 8579
Original post by Zassy003
Thanks Ropey1, I shouldnt miss any, its just the 7th I dont think I will be as 'active' as they may want me to be. Glad you say some others turned up in boots that makes me feel loads better :smile:

Yep I think you'll be fine. My dance partner one week had a boot and I paired with an instructor for that bit. Sometimes the understudies stand in for the missing or injured but it doesn't mean they get 'your' bib or anything - only if you miss several sessions. Turning up counts as being present even if you can't do alot.

Rotten luck though. I'm playing hockey and am starting to wonder if I should stop to ensure nothing gets injured. Maybe I'll just play very slowly. :biggrin:

Latest