The Student Room Group

Should I transfer to an easier University to get a first/ 2.1 or stay and get a third

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alexkol
Just a moment, as far as I know from my course, Mechanical Engineering, all the Unis are doing pretty much the same stuff, with some slight changes, ie including an Economic module, or doing some EEE modules. There are also some changes in the structure, some Unis are doing modules in different order, so your friend in Birmingham may do what you did in first year in the next two years of his degree.
Furthermore, Birmingham is a top 10 or top 20 Uni, so your modules have to be similar:s-smilie:

inorite

I just find it funny how by far the hardest thing I'm doing right now is what he'll be doing next year. Kinda shows you how Warwick likes to cut to the challenging material, huh?

Oh, another point, most of the stuff he's doing we covered at A-Level (further maths), but almost none of the stuff I'm doing is A-Level. Which was what EVERYONE SAID THE FIRST YEAR WOULD BE. It was always 'A2 year is harder than your first year of uni, that year is more about settling in etc etc'. But no. LIES
Reply 21
Original post by everything
It's hard to work very hard considering how demoralising the course is (in its difficulty) as well as the fact that I really do not like it.

Then everyone's like 'well why are you doing it, do something you enjoy'... it's not simple like that. I got A*s in Maths and Further Maths at A-level. Getting the best result at the best university will set me up great for employment. I have pressure from family. From potential employers. I have no interest in anything I can do a employer-respected degree in. The closest things to it are football and graphic design. Yet people always criticise me for doing what I'm told is best for me by society, tell me to do something I enjoy when everything else tells me to do what's best for my future and I have very little that I enjoy besides. So if you either have no life aspirations or love a particular subject, good for you. But don't give me **** about what I'm doing with my life, because I'm just trying to do what's best.

/mini rant

now we're getting somewhere... people with similar a level grades as you are doing alright at it... Maybe it's the wrong subject, anything will feel like impossibly hard work if you're unmotivated.
People find subjects they enjoyed and were good at for a level don't interest them at undergrad. Tbh the pressure fro your family might not be as bad as you think... if you're not doing well after a year I can't see how they can argue against you wanting to do something *you're* interested in doing instead.

Imo You'll be miserable and on for a low degree class anywhere unless you reboot your motivation and engage with the course.
Reply 22
inorite

I just find it funny how by far the hardest thing I'm doing right now is what he'll be doing next year. Kinda shows you how Warwick likes to cut to the challenging material, huh?

Oh, another point, most of the stuff he's doing we covered at A-Level (further maths), but almost none of the stuff I'm doing is A-Level. Which was what EVERYONE SAID THE FIRST YEAR WOULD BE. It was always 'A2 year is harder than your first year of uni, that year is more about settling in etc etc'. But no. LIES

Hmmm, u should better ask one of ur tutors or lecturers, they should know more things and advice u better:biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by Joinedup
now we're getting somewhere... people with similar a level grades as you are doing alright at it... Maybe it's the wrong subject, anything will feel like impossibly hard work if you're unmotivated.
People find subjects they enjoyed and were good at for a level don't interest them at undergrad. Tbh the pressure fro your family might not be as bad as you think... if you're not doing well after a year I can't see how they can argue against you wanting to do something *you're* interested in doing instead.

Imo You'll be miserable and on for a low degree class anywhere unless you reboot your motivation and engage with the course.

Sure. I used to have motivation in the form of 'do well and get all the monies when you're older' but now I don't even care that much about a high paying job, much more about finding a career that I enjoy.

Original post by alexkol
Hmmm, u should better ask one of ur tutors or lecturers, they should know more things and advice u better:biggrin:

I plan on talking to my personal tutor after exams and seeing what he has to say about it.
Reply 24
How are ur grades so far?
Are you less than 50-60%?
and have you really tried and you cannot make it?
also, do u know any class average?
sounds like you're not suited to your subject rather than your uni. You may well be better transferring but rather to a course and subject that is relevant to you as a person rather than, from what it sounds like, just doing courses which you are doing purely because you did well at them at A level. Have a rethink about doing something you ENJOY.

Just a thought...
"I used to have motivation in the form of 'do well and get all the monies when you're older'"

this is NOT motivation to do a course...
Reply 27
Just go to Bolton. You could probably sleep through that degree and get a 2.1.
Reply 28
Sure. I used to have motivation in the form of 'do well and get all the monies when you're older' but now I don't even care that much about a high paying job, much more about finding a career that I enjoy.
Some might see that as a blessing. What's the point in having money if you're spending the majority of your time in life doing something you hate? In addition if you enjoy something you're likely to put more energy and effort into it and therefore become better at it which can't be too bad for your job prospects anyway.
I don't even understand how it all works tbh. When I can achieve a 2.1 somewhere else without too much trouble, what is the better university even doing for me?

The better university is supposedly proving you can cope with the workload at the better university. If you can't get a 2.1 there, go get a less prestigious 2.1 elsewhere.

I sure as hell am not finding the lectures particularly useful and the resources compared to what we had at school are shocking. When I visited my friend at Birmingham his lectures notes for a module were amazing, with a much slower pace and EXAMPLES for everything. I really don't understand how the system works.

This is the reason people advise you to give greater weight to the quality of the course than the prestige of the university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by alexkol
How are ur grades so far?
Are you less than 50-60%?
and have you really tried and you cannot make it?
also, do u know any class average?

I don't know the class average and I haven't gone in to check my results because I think I'm better off not thinking about them too much (dat ironing)

I'm basing what I'm saying mostly off how I feel about exams coming up. We've had assignments throughout the year, but after my first term my original supervisor (who marked them) dropped out of the scheme and I got a new super-harsh marker, so I generally ignored the marks (because they would just make me feel bad if I didn't). He was a good teacher though, so it wasn't all bad.
Surely a lesser university is lesser because of their teaching standards? Thus it would be easier in a top university? and ultimately, it is something you'll come across in work anyway
Reply 32
Original post by Logi
Some might see that as a blessing. What's the point in having money if you're spending the majority of your time in life doing something you hate? In addition if you enjoy something you're likely to put more energy and effort into it and therefore become better at it which can't be too bad for your job prospects anyway.

The big thing about getting this degree is that it supposedly would make getting a job way easier. And from there I could find something I wanna do and walk in the door with the degree. As opposed to doing a graphics course, which would pigeon hole me very much. Also of note is that I actually regretted doing graphics at GCSE because there was too much pointless bull**** stuff to go through when I just like making things. I figure it's quite possibly the same deal at any academic level of graphic design.

Original post by TurboCretin
The better university is supposedly proving you can cope with the workload at the better university. If you can't get a 2.1 there, go get a less prestigious 2.1 elsewhere. Also, this is the reason people advise you to give greater weight to the quality of teaching on the course than the prestige of the university.

Which I'm not, lol. Seems exactly the deal right now.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Surely a lesser university is lesser because of their teaching standards? Thus it would be easier in a top university? and ultimately, it is something you'll come across in work anyway

Top universities tend to have better teaching, but proportionately harder assessment. Admittedly, that's very broad brushstrokes though.
Reply 34
I don't know the class average and I haven't gone in to check my results because I think I'm better off not thinking about them too much (dat ironing)

I'm basing what I'm saying mostly off how I feel about exams coming up. We've had assignments throughout the year, but after my first term my original supervisor (who marked them) dropped out of the scheme and I got a new super-harsh marker, so I generally ignored the marks (because they would just make me feel bad if I didn't). He was a good teacher though, so it wasn't all bad.

Have a look at this http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/studentAchievement.do
It shows, that many people score high in ur Uni.

Which I'm not, lol. Seems exactly the deal right now.

Well, yeah, but that's beside the point. I'm explaining what being at the better university does for you: it shows that you were pushed harder for your 2.1 than the next guy. It's bound to be more hard-going at top universities for the subject, and that's why you get recognition for (a) getting into them and (b) succeeding at them.

Difficulty of the course is one thing, and I don't really know why you're complaining about that. Quality of teaching and resources is something else entirely. If you hate the teaching and aren't doing well, just switch unis.

Maybe you get less support as they expect you to do more as a stronger student (as I assume most Warwick maths students are). If you really need extra help you should try pursue it not just pretend or not think about your bad marks.
Reply 37
Firstly what year are you in?
Try working harder then your friend i aren't saying your not working hard just put more effort into it you'll feel more proud of yourself if you get a better grade in the harder school then if you transfer to an 'easier' university, also who's to say if you transfer to the easier university you'll do better? you might just be stuck with a 2.2. or third from an easier university instead of the same grade from the harder one.
Reply 38
And seriously, I swear people aren't agreeing that more prestigious universities have harder courses than the lower ranked ones..

Maybe because it might not be true?
Original post by colef001

Maybe because it might not be true?

What are you basing that on? I've seen exam papers from quite a few different Universities for my subject, and there are quite massive djifferences in difficulty. It's quite hilarious how people just use the "degrees are a completely different ball game" to justify how not every gets a first at an institution where people have massively better A Level grades compared to another place, when really how fast the course goes and the difficulty of exams is the real factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending