The Student Room Group

What do you think about Scotland having independence?

Scroll to see replies

Scotland will vote against independence.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
Scotland will vote against independence.

What makes you so sure?
Reply 3
Let the Scottish people decide - at the end of the day it should be their decision.

We can start to think about Scotland and the rest of the UK's economic future after that.
Reply 4
If they want it let them have it. It will be interesting to see if Scotland can succeed or not.
Reply 5
Original post by Algorithm69
I think the Scots have the right of self-determination.

The right of self-determination is not some sort of right to become an independent country. We already self-determine without silly referendums on partitioning Britain.
Reply 6
Actually, the right of self-determination does include the right to choose whether your nation is fully independent.

It's not that simple. If an independent Scotland would reduce the amount of liberty its citizens have then how could it be said to grant Scots self-determination?
Reply 7
I quite like our union...
Actually, the right of self-determination does include the right to choose whether your nation is fully independent.

You could take this further and further and eventually say that you want self-determination for your city or something like that.
I'm Scottish and I don't really know what to think. I have a lot of questions about what it will mean for me if Scotland does become independent. Like, what passport will I have? What will it mean if I'm studying in England? What would it mean for my dad who lives in Scotland but commutes to work in London every week? What currency will we have? Will we still be part of the EU? There's just so much uncertainty around it at the moment that it's not something I would really want right at this minute. Plus I have no idea how they are gonna sort all these things out in 2 or so years. And (if the referendum does pass) how long will it be before Scotland got it's actual independence. Surely it would take a while for them to prepare and stuff.

I guess I'm not totally against it, I just want some answers first before I commit to supporting something like that.
Reply 10
As Giggs said, 'let em 'ave it'.
Frankly, I don't care, but whether they do or not I think the SNP have and will do a better job governing Scotland than any of the main three parties.
I have no problem with Scotland being independent, as long as they don't go down the route of trying to claim every institution with "scot" or "scottish" in the name.
Reply 13
I personally think its a bad idea. Apart from having the personal opinion that the union is a good idea, if Scotland take independence it will not only spell economic disaster for them - which people say they don't mind if they're taking independence - but also for us, because their downfall will bring us down too.
I feel physically sick.

United we stand. :grouphugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Nick100
It's not that simple. If an independent Scotland would reduce the amount of liberty its citizens have then how could it be said to grant Scots self-determination?

If the Scots knew that voting for independence would mean sacrificing some civil liberties, and made the decision to do so anyway, then I can't see how that in any way is not self-determination.

Words are wind, and reality trumps fantasy. Scottish independence isn't happening any time soon.
Reply 17
Original post by Arbolus
If the Scots knew that voting for independence would mean sacrificing some civil liberties, and made the decision to do so anyway, then I can't see how that in any way is not self-determination.

You can't see how voting away someone else's liberties isn't self determination? Independence is only worthwhile if it will increase our liberty; there is nothing to indicate that it will do so.
Reply 18
They should be offered independence similar to the independence territories like Bermuda and the Isle of Mann have imo, rather than total independance.
Reply 19
I think that the Scottish Rite have always wanted independence. I think Salmond is a goon for the Scottish Rite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending