The Student Room Group

Are these GCSEs good enough for law @ cambridge?

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Yes, they're fine...
Most certainly
Reply 4
No, you're going to die in a hole eating mud and worms for sustenance. You won't be even considered for entry to Oxbridge. Everyone knows that.

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by Mazzini
No, you're going to die in a hole eating mud and worms for sustenance. You won't be even considered for entry to Oxbridge. Everyone knows that.

Spoiler

Sorry, it's just everyone says you have to ace your GCSEs to be considered :frown:.
TimmonaPortella on tsr got like 1A* at GCSE and is doing law at magdalene..
Reply 7
Cambridge at least care a lot more about your UMS scores at AS. As long as you've got A*s in the subjects relevant to your a levels/degree i'm sure you'll be more than fine.

Spoiler

Reply 8
Yes you have the right amount of A*'s to go cambridge I think their law college is called Churchill, look on their website it says it there
Reply 9
Original post by Swinginking
Yes you have the right amount of A*'s to go cambridge I think their law college is called Churchill, look on their website it says it there

Virtually all offer Law. In fact it would be advisable not to apply for Churchill as they have not taken people with less than 9 A*s in some ridiculous amount of time. http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/courses/law/

If there's a 'law college' it's Downing, but it doesn't really matter.
Reply 10
Original post by roh
Virtually all offer Law. In fact it would be advisable not to apply for Churchill as they have not taken people with less than 9 A*s in some ridiculous amount of time. http://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/courses/law/

If there's a 'law college' it's Downing, but it doesn't really matter.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by chaza01
Hey,
obviously I understand that GCSEs are nothing compared to A level, but would these be okay (ie will they affect my chances).
8A* in history, RS, Maths (taken year early), Bio, chem, physics, Geography and statistics.
3As in IGCSE English literature, IGCSE English language and french.
Basically, I was predicted 11A*s and English was actually one of my strongest subjects, however, my teacher was useless and I basically learned nothing in two years - due to this, for English I had to teach myself: I read literary criticisms by Granville Barker etc and went well above what I needed for IGCSE. However, I still was not exactly sure what IGCSE looked for and got myself in a panic and basically had a bad day.
My main concern is not the number of A*s, but the fact that it is in English I got the As, rather than say statistics.
I haven't actually got my results, but these are what I expect. I go to a satisfactory Ofsted rated state school comprehensive by the way.
Cheers,
Charles

Sorry, You need a level 6 at year 6 to even start thinking to join Oxbridge after a-levels, Never mind GCSES...

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by DeathByBSOD
Sorry, You need a level 6 at year 6 to even start thinking to join Oxbridge after a-levels, Never mind GCSES...

Spoiler

I haven't yet received my grades, but I am predicting 8A*s and 3As, not the 11A*s you state. cheers
Score well in the entrance exam.... get good AS Results....there you go
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by DeathByBSOD
The amount of A*s @ gcse is irrelevant. Unless you want to do the uber competitive courses like Maths, Medicine and Law, all Unis count is your AS grades, Your personal statement (depends on the uni), The entrance exams (depends on the course) etc. These are given far more weight than GCSES Alone..

an example is A person with 2a*7a and scored very highly in an entrance exam is regarded better than someone with 8+ a* + whatever A grades
that scored crappy in the entrance exam..

I want to do law.
Don't worry about your GCSEs, even if you got a few less A*s, you'd still be in very good stead.

It's all the other, much much harder stuff that you should worry about.
Reply 16
You should bear in mind the amount of people going to uni is at it's highest, and lots of people are getting 11A*s. you need to make sure you're standing out, unis look for well rounded people, not just those academically focused

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Original post by chapman.
You should bear in mind the amount of people going to uni is at it's highest, and lots of people are getting 11A*s. you need to make sure you're standing out, unis look for well rounded people, not just those academically focused

Yeah, it's the fact that this is the first year the school has done IGCSE english and they have no clue how to teach it, hence I am more or less doing it myself. Had it been GCSE english, A* would have been no problem.
Reply 18
Original post by chaza01
Yeah, it's the fact that this is the first year the school has done IGCSE english and they have no clue how to teach it, hence I am more or less doing it myself. Had it been GCSE english, A* would have been no problem.

I meant you should be aware of the benefits of being a participant in school life and being in clubs etc outside of school, maybe even DoE

Original post by chaza01
Hey,
obviously I understand that GCSEs are nothing compared to A level, but would these be okay (ie will they affect my chances).
8A* in history, RS, Maths (taken year early), Bio, chem, physics, Geography and statistics.
3As in IGCSE English literature, IGCSE English language and french.
Basically, I was predicted 11A*s and English was actually one of my strongest subjects, however, my teacher was useless and I basically learned nothing in two years - due to this, for English I had to teach myself: I read literary criticisms by Granville Barker etc and went well above what I needed for IGCSE. However, I still was not exactly sure what IGCSE looked for and got myself in a panic and basically had a bad day.
My main concern is not the number of A*s, but the fact that it is in English I got the As, rather than say statistics.
I haven't actually got my results, but these are what I expect. I go to a satisfactory Ofsted rated state school comprehensive by the way.
Cheers,
Charles

Yes, you should absolutely try for it. The only way you definitely won't get a place is if you don't try. Grades are just a part of how you perform, they don't define who you are, so other things like personal statements and AS and A2 grades also come into it. Good Luck OP :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending