The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford for law (2024)

I am currently on a gap year and intend to apply to Oxford for law (alongside other universities) for 2024 entry. However, I am unsure if my GCSE grades are strong enough (3 A*'s, 6 A's, 1 B).

Although I have achieved grades of A* A* A (History, Econ, Biology) and had an LNAT score of 28 last year.

Is it worth attempting to applaud are Oxford very strict on GCSE grades?
i assume the gcse grades cannot be changed, so i recommend applying to Oxford and giving your dream a chance :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently on a gap year and intend to apply to Oxford for law (alongside other universities) for 2024 entry. However, I am unsure if my GCSE grades are strong enough (3 A*'s, 6 A's, 1 B).

Although I have achieved grades of A* A* A (History, Econ, Biology) and had an LNAT score of 28 last year.

Is it worth attempting to applaud are Oxford very strict on GCSE grades?

It's hard to know how they'll consider those GCSEs, as we don't know what school you went to, and this will influence their decision significantly. It's possible that these would be less competitive than other candidates, but you can make up for this with a good LNAT score. Your A levels are strong, and there's no risk of predicted grade inflation, so you definitely stand a good chance of being invited to interview. Just focus on your LNAT.
Reply 3
You should research the school where you sat your GCSEs. For instance, I got similar GCSEs to yourself and I went to an awful state school that had only 20% of students got above a grade 5. There was a minimal pass rate and many students failed. I took a BTEC subject as well. Depsite this, I got 4 9s, 3 8s, 2 7s, a 6 and a 5. I then moved to a highly selective grammar school - my teacher encouraged me to apply to Cambridge based upon the fact I went to a terrible high school and my postcode (quintile 1). I’m also an immigrant so that helped. I’d say you have amazing A-level results and you can truly woo them with your interview, LNAT and overall commitment to the subject :smile: Definitely apply for Oxbridge if your situation remotely relates to mine.
Original post by KlaudiaKMB
You should research the school where you sat your GCSEs. For instance, I got similar GCSEs to yourself and I went to an awful state school that had only 20% of students got above a grade 5. There was a minimal pass rate and many students failed. I took a BTEC subject as well. Depsite this, I got 4 9s, 3 8s, 2 7s, a 6 and a 5. I then moved to a highly selective grammar school - my teacher encouraged me to apply to Cambridge based upon the fact I went to a terrible high school and my postcode (quintile 1). I’m also an immigrant so that helped. I’d say you have amazing A-level results and you can truly woo them with your interview, LNAT and overall commitment to the subject :smile: Definitely apply for Oxbridge if your situation remotely relates to mine.

Yeah I was accepted with one nine, and it wasn't even in the subject I applied for. GCSEs are primarily used for contextualisation at Oxford, so context really does matter.
Reply 5
Original post by KlaudiaKMB

Cambridge are less worried about GCSE grades

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending