The Student Room Group

Which university, Oxford or Cambridge cares more about GCSE grades?

I got majority 8's, one 7 and one 6. I want to apply for law but I don't think my grades are good enough. Which university cares more about them?
Original post by kwakraon
I got majority 8's, one 7 and one 6. I want to apply for law but I don't think my grades are good enough. Which university cares more about them?

I want to apply for law too! From what I've heard its Oxford that care more about gcses though both schools do care alot (I wouldn't worry, your results are pretty amazing anyway)
Oxford generally has a slightly more formal process in scoring GCSEs for many subjects, but not all weight them equally (most maths and physical science courses at Oxford for example don't put a great deal of weight on GCSEs).

Cambridge is relatively less formal in scoring GCSEs although many applicants do have very good GCSEs anyway.

That said in either case I think your results are probably fine for either uni. Bear in mind both (as far as I'm aware) consider 8 and 9 grades both the same as the old A* grade (so a 9 is not "better" than an 8 as far as they are concerned).
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford generally has a slightly more formal process in scoring GCSEs for many subjects, but not all weight them equally (most maths and physical science courses at Oxford for example don't put a great deal of weight on GCSEs).

Cambridge is relatively less formal in scoring GCSEs although many applicants do have very good GCSEs anyway.

That said in either case I think your results are probably fine for either uni. Bear in mind both (as far as I'm aware) consider 8 and 9 grades both the same as the old A* grade (so a 9 is not "better" than an 8 as far as they are concerned).

I agree with a lot of it but I believe your last sentence is no longer the case. I remember it being true a few years back but TheOxfordMum updated her Oxford demystified thread to say that the 8/9 being the same is no longer applicable. I also looked at Oxford's official qualifications page: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1# and saw that the line where it said 8/9 being the same was removed which makes me believe that it is now considered differently. Unfortunately I was also misled when I completed my GCSE's and even though I was 2 marks off a 9 for a number of subjects I chose not to appeal because of the 8/9 being same rule. (That was a mistake since it's not true anymore)
Original post by killuak
I agree with a lot of it but I believe your last sentence is no longer the case. I remember it being true a few years back but TheOxfordMum updated her Oxford demystified thread to say that the 8/9 being the same is no longer applicable. I also looked at Oxford's official qualifications page: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1# and saw that the line where it said 8/9 being the same was removed which makes me believe that it is now considered differently. Unfortunately I was also misled when I completed my GCSE's and even though I was 2 marks off a 9 for a number of subjects I chose not to appeal because of the 8/9 being same rule. (That was a mistake since it's not true anymore)

Good to know!

Although equally them not explicitly stating it doesn't mean that isn't the case, but the change in language used does suggest at least some courses might distinguish between them now :smile:
Reply 5
From looking at their websites, Oxford does give the feeling that GCSES would be a little more taken in to consideration than at Cambridge.
It's interesting because Cambridge generally admits students with slightly higher A Level grades than Oxford, on average.
As I have got older, I respect the Oxford approach much more. The Oxford approach more looks at the overall journey of a student to date. The Cambridge approach more favours the person who crammed for the last 2 years.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Picnicl
From looking at their websites, Oxford does give the feeling that GCSES would be a little more taken in to consideration than at Cambridge.
It's interesting because Cambridge generally admits students with slightly higher A Level grades than Oxford. But Oxford interview more.
As I have got older, I respect the Oxford approach much more. The Oxford application process more looks at the overall journey and personality of a student to date. The Cambridge approach just favours the person who crammed for 2 years.

I've heard Cambridge interviews more than Oxford.
Reply 7
Original post by kwakraon
I've heard Cambridge interviews more than Oxford.

Now edited. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending