The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9360
Original post by Mandy_Panda
a full dress rehearsal for a capacity crowd of 80000. Who are the 80000?!

i think the games makers have been invited to come and watch.
Original post by Drumbeat
i think the games makers have been invited to come and watch.

is there 80000? Not looking like we can bring people then? :frown:
Reply 9362
Original post by Mandy_Panda
is there 80000? Not looking like we can bring people then? :frown:

well there is about 70000 games makers in total but assuming some will be posted to Olympic sites outside of London would assume there are lots of spare spaces but can't see them letting us bring friends etc, too easy for the press to get in and spoil the surpise
Reply 9363
Wow shocked at that info! Oh well, it's only a small part of the ceremony :biggrin:
Very disappointed about Danny Boyles "reveal". I can only assume that it was about to be "leaked" anyway and the decison was taken by LOCOG to announce officially first. I was naively thinking it was going to be a "surprise". As we still have 6 weeks to go to the Opening Ceremony no doubt other "reveals" will take place in the coming weeks. I suppose with media and social networks being what they are it is impossible to to keep anything private and confidential these days.
Well - definitely gets people talking and might be hard to hide until Concord's no-fly goes into effect.

Cue a storm of protest around farm animal welfare?
Good point wickedgrin. Timing may well have been pushed by a leak and the desire to control what we t out - otherwise you'd have thought they'd have been advertising that there would be more news released today.

There are multiple dress rehearsals - some for Gamesmakers assuredly but I believe at past Games, the performers have been given some for friends and family.
The article has been updated with a video, really worth watching.

I, too, initially felt the sense of disappointment, but that might have come from a mixture of the naivety wickedgrin mentioned and egoism (being a keeper of a secret no more), but the reveal begins to grow on me. It's good in that it sets certain expectations, and in some way it amplifies the suspense.
Original post by commonliner
The article has been updated with a video, really worth watching.

I, too, initially felt the sense of disappointment, but that might have come from a mixture of the naivety wickedgrin mentioned and egoism (being a keeper of a secret no more), but the reveal begins to grow on me. It's good in that it sets certain expectations, and in some way it amplifies the suspense.

The video is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18409682 with Danny explaining about the meadow, the second most watched video. I still think there will be an element of surprise having read the many comments on the BBC article.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flakeydom

Cue a storm of protest around farm animal welfare?

Anticipated by DB with this nice quote:
There are now, we know, 120 animals to add to that list. “They’ll be treated very well,” Mr Boyle assured. “Far better than the volunteers.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/london-2012-danny-boyle-reveals-details-of-olympic-games-opening-ceremony-7844124.html
Reply 9370
wow! seeing as I have yet to start my journey (tomorrow!!!!!) I am disappointed and also very excited by the DB announcement :s-smilie:
It all sounds wonderful and being a lucky 41'er will get to see it all :tongue:
:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant::sorry: :colondollar:
thought this was suppose to be secret!!!!

When details were first announced by Danny Boyle I think back in January - when he explained the 'Isles of Wonder' theme - he also said that there would be more revealed about this Opening Ceremony beforehand than in previous Olympic Games. The planning behind this whole massive operation has to be deliberate and precise and I'm sure today's announcement is factored into their overall plan. Of course there are going to be leaks - with thousands of volunteers rehearsing on huge sites outdoors - I'm sure they were expecting them - even possibly welcoming them - as tantalising glimpses of what will collectively become one hell of an amazing spectacle.

Love this quote from DB in the BBC article: "I've been astounded by the selfless dedication of the volunteers, they are the pure embodiment of the Olympic spirit and represent the best of who we are as a nation."
Interesting to look back on the BBC video made with Danny Boyle on 27th January 2012.

Things are becoming clearer to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun all you 41 Bs too!

EG
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9373
Original post by Bignic12
wow! seeing as I have yet to start my journey (tomorrow!!!!!) I am disappointed and also very excited by the DB announcement :s-smilie:

good luck with your reheasals am sure you will like them and meet all your fellow 41ers
Reply 9374
as a matter of interest has any of our reserves been upgraded yet. in my section they will have to learn qute a bit
as a matter of interest has any of our reserves been upgraded yet. in my section they will have to learn qute a bit

Not lately. There's been very little news since we got word of a few Para closers in late May.
It's a shame no ones being moved from reserves but I do wonder at what point is it too late to bring reserves in? If your getting kicked out because youve missed a few rehearsals but you've attended past rehearsals and it's cos they moved so fast you wouldn't be able to catch up how is it possible for a complete newbe to catch up?? There must be a point where reserves can't be brought in .....

No offence to anyone would love it for everyone to be able to it :-) it's a shame there's not enough places for everyone :-( It just crosse me mind

Fingures crossed reserves that some of you get called up :-D xxxxxxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9377
Original post by Bignic12

Have a great time Bignic, it's been a long time coming for you and I hope you (am sure you will) enjoy every single minute of it. :wink:

Ours too - surely it would be better to keep those who have been there from the beginning but have had two maybe three rehearsal misses but who know the routines very well as opposed to bringing in someone who would have to start from scratch - not easy for anyone involved (and apologies to any reserves still waiting and not suggesting that current performers take the Michael re missing rehearsals).

Original post by Samantha_Walker
It's a shame no ones being moved from reserves but I do wonder at what point is it too late to bring reserves in? If your getting kicked out because youve missed a few rehearsals but you've attended past rehearsals and it's cos they moved so fast you wouldn't be able to catch up how is it possible for a complete newbe to catch up?? There must be a point where reserves can't be brought in .....

No offence to anyone would love it for everyone to be able to it :-) it's a shame there's not enough places for everyone :-( It just crosse me mind

Fingures crossed reserves that some of you get called up :-D xxxxxxx

I'm sure at the end of our rehearsal last Saturday (47) after the casting co-ordinator thanked us for attending that she said they were running low on reserves.
(edited 11 years ago)
That's really good to hear :-D last minute auditions coming up ?? Nah it would be good though if all reserves were used .... It's an amazing experience and for everyone to be involved one way or the other would be brilliant xxxx
Some segments have had understudies throughout who then get promoted. It may be that they are low on trained understudies? Presumably any reserves called up now would go in as understudies so be able to learn by watching? But yes - at some point it surely becomes too late!

Latest