The Student Room Group

I want to be a vet, however it is obvious that Science is my weakest subject...

Hello everyone, wondering if you could help me. I am doing some Science GCSEs this year and the rest of my GCSEs next year...however I am predicted A*s for everything apart from Science, where I'm probably going to get either Bs or As. If I got a B for science but mainly A*s for everything else, do you think this would completely put the selectors off from selecting me? Although it's my weakest subject, Science is really the only subject I want to study at uni. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
If you definitely want to be a vet then read the below, if it's more generally science that you want to study at uni then generally universities that have better and therefore more competetive science courses will require higher grades than others so it depends on the calibre of university that you would be aiming for.

If you're set on vet school...

If you're taking your science GCSEs this year then I would prioritise them above all your other exams and aim for at least As. As it's pretty near exam time now then if taking them next year is an option then that might be best for you as vet schools have exceptionally strong applicants, both in academic terms and non-academic and most require minimum As in science GCSEs as well as As or Bs in maths and English. I've copied in GCSE requirements from 3 of the UK vet schools below but they're very easy to find online so you can look up the rest for yourself. The general trend is yes you need As in your science GCSEs, although a minority of the very few UK vet schools will not write you off with Bs. You could also consider re-sitting modules that you don't do so well in next year.

RVC:
At least five A grades including:‘Double Science*’ award or "Science and Additional Science"at AA (or an A in Biology and A in Chemistry if taken as separate GCSEs)

And grade A or B in:
English Language
Mathematics
Physics (if taken as a separate GCSE)

Nottingham:
GCSES:
Minimum of 5 grade As to include Chemistry, Biology and Physics (or science double award).
Minimum of grade B in Maths and English Language.
Grade A at AS Level Physics can compensate for achieving grade B at GCSE

Liverpool
A minimum of 10 points at GCSE (where A*/A = 2 points, B = 1 point, C = 0 points) in at least 7 different subjects, to include a minimum of grade B in English, Mathematics and Physics (or dual science including Physics
Thank you! That's really helpful :smile: If I don't get good enough science grades for vet studies then I'm hopefully going to do something along the lines of zoology :smile:
Original post by lilyoftheincas05
Thank you! That's really helpful :smile: If I don't get good enough science grades for vet studies then I'm hopefully going to do something along the lines of zoology :smile:

Do you think your lower grades in Science might be down to the teachers? It sounds a bit odd that in everything else you're predicted A*s - I can't see why any of the subjects covered in Science would be beyond you if you're capable of top grades in other subjects.

Have you considered getting some private tuition? Maybe it's something your parents would consider funding - even as a birthday/Christmas present. Often, whether or not you do well in a subject depends on the way you're taught - a good teacher can make a huge difference. :smile:
Reply 4
I got Bs in my three sciences at GCSE (In part due to a crappy teacher and in part due to me being cocky). It means you can't apply to some unis but as long as you're not lower than Bs then it shouldn't affect you with others. The ones I had to exclude were RVC 5 year, Notts 5 year, and I avoided Bristol because they specify: "Wide spread required at good grades to include Mathematics, English Language and two sciences. A minimum of six A*/A grades would normally be expected." I'd consider a B a good grade but you never know. The other unis mention GCSEs a lot less.
Original post by Snuffleupagus
Do you think your lower grades in Science might be down to the teachers? It sounds a bit odd that in everything else you're predicted A*s - I can't see why any of the subjects covered in Science would be beyond you if you're capable of top grades in other subjects.

Have you considered getting some private tuition? Maybe it's something your parents would consider funding - even as a birthday/Christmas present. Often, whether or not you do well in a subject depends on the way you're taught - a good teacher can make a huge difference. :smile:

Don't think so, I'm fine in class it's just getting my head around the questions in the exam that I find difficult! Thanks for your suggestion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending