The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths Unit 3 19/06/2012 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
How about this one, here is a good question on percentages!
Susie bought a car two years ago. It depreciated by 10% each year. The car is now worth £8100. Work out the original cost of Susie's car.
Reply 281
For appreciation and depreciation, will this formula work for all questions?

Old price = ((100 +/- percentage change) / 100) to power of years = New price
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Melissajanex
i got 5x+4=8x-6
4=3x-6
10=3x
x=10/3

Wouldn't it be -8x + 5x which would = -3x not positive 3x?
Original post by cleveradam
Melissa i need around a High 'C' to low 'B' for an overall B, how many raw marks would you think that'd roughly be?

im not to sure sorry
what do we need to know about loci i've never heard of it
Reply 285
How do you complete the square anyone ? :smile:

If a quadratic expression is written in the form (x + p)2 + q it is in the 'completed square form'.

So far, the only way I've come across for completing the square is by using the formula
x2 + 2bx + c = (x + b)2 - b 2 + c

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's a question where this formula can be used:

Write x2 + 6x + 20 in the form (x + p)2 + q

Firstly, look at the formula for completing the square. 2b = 6 so b = 3, and c is 20. Then, substitute these values into the formula.

x2 + 6x + 20 = (x + 3)2 - 32 + 20
= (x + 3)2 - 9 + 20
= (x + 3)2 + 11

And that's it! Just find what you need in your original question, and substitute it into the formula given, and voila, there we go!
There is probably 100 other ways of explaining this, but I've got my text book open in front of me and this is what it says :P
Good luck!
Original post by another_member

Nope
Reply 287
Original post by another_member

I think it's positive 3x because you're subtracting the 5x from the left hand side from the 8x on the right hand side, and 8x - 5x = 3x :P
Original post by Bixel
If a quadratic expression is written in the form (x + p)2 + q it is in the 'completed square form'.

So far, the only way I've come across for completing the square is by using the formula
x2 + 2bx + c = (x + b)2 - b 2 + c

-----------------------------------------------------------

Here's a question where this formula can be used:

Write x2 + 6x + 20 in the form (x + p)2 + q

Firstly, look at the formula for completing the square. 2b = 6 so b = 3, and c is 20. Then, substitute these values into the formula.

x2 + 6x + 20 = (x + 3)2 - 32 + 20
= (x + 3)2 - 9 + 20
= (x + 3)2 + 11

And that's it! Just find what you need in your original question, and substitute it into the formula given, and voila, there we go!
There is probably 100 other ways of explaining this, but I've got my text book open in front of me and this is what it says :P
Good luck!

Thankyou so much! do you know what we have to know about loci?
Reply 289
Thankyou so much! do you know what we have to know about loci?

No problem! I think Loci is stupidly easy - it's basically questions where will be asked to shade about a region that satisfies more than one condition.

Remember the questions where it says things like "points in the shaded region are closer to B than C"? It's a really really easy subject, one of which is more common sense than maths, so don't worry about this!
Original post by Bixel
How about this one, here is a good question on percentages!
Susie bought a car two years ago. It depreciated by 10% each year. The car is now worth £8100. Work out the original cost of Susie's car.

If the car depreciates over two years with the same percentage, we can square the percentage loss. (0.9^2 = 0.81)

Let x = the price before the depreciation.

Therefore 0.81x = 8100
Therefore x = 10000

The price of the car before the loss was £10,000.

(I'm so up for this, bring it on Edexcel!)
Reply 291
What is q*3 + q*4?
Got two questions on upper and lower bounds - probably easy but I saw one of you asked about them...

1. A fence is 22m long to the nearest metre. What are the upper and lower bounds?

2. A box is 8.5cm wide measured to the nearest tenth of a cm. What are the upper and lower bounds?
Original post by hypanx
What is q*3 + q*4?

q*7?
Reply 294
Original post by rory58824
Got two questions on upper and lower bounds - probably easy but I saw one of you asked about them...

1. A fence is 22m long to the nearest metre. What are the upper and lower bounds?

2. A box is 8.5cm wide measured to the nearest tenth of a cm. What are the upper and lower bounds?

1) Upper: 22.5m Lower: 21.5m
2) Upper: 8.55cm Lower: 8.45cm
I very much HOPE that is correct, Upper/Lower bounds are on my "Must Work On" list for tonight/tomorrow morning!
Original post by rory58824

Hate upper and lower bands but i will have a go
1. ub = 22.5 lb= 21.5
2. ub = 8.55 lb = 8.45
Reply 296
q*7?

no that would be q*3 x q*4
Reply 297
Is there a formula i can use for appreciation and depreciation, whether i need to find the price before or after?
how do you wok out the radius of a sector?
Reply 299
how do you wok out the radius of a sector?

I think you're normally given the radius of a sector :P
You may however be asked to work out the arc length, sector area, or perimeter of the sector

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending