The Student Room Group

Doing re-sits, but don't want to do course.

(edited 5 years ago)
Passing re-sits means you can get an early exit award - a certificate of higher education. I'm not sure how much use it would be if you transfer instead of just drop out, but perhaps your tutor wants you to do it for that? It may go towards proving to employers that you haven't just wasted a year.

See if you can discuss it with another member of staff?
Original post by soph3000

I do not want to do this course next year. I mentioned it to my academic tutor several times but she insisted I carry on and see how it goes. Now I am left in the position that I have to do re-sits in August, for a course I do not want to carry on in 2nd year.

It's not about doing this course next year, it's about being able to transfer. No-one is going to want to take a transfer student who has failed the previous year of uni. You need to take the resits and pass the year in order to have any real chance of finding another course, either at the same uni or different.
Reply 3
You have nothing to loose by doing your resits and everything to gain.

If you successfully pass your resits, you may then be eligible for a course transfer internally or externally.

You may if pass but have no suitable transfer options choose to stop and exit with a CertHE if available.

Once you have completed the retakes, sit down and think about what you do and don't like about the course. Are there any courses available which are a better match for your skills? Find out as much as you can about them. Once you get your results, contact your tutor and discuss what you would like to do and what you can do. If the tutor is not helpful and what you want to do viable, go to the tutor for your alternative course at the same university and discuss your options with them.

To be fair to your tutor, many students feel they are going to fail and many don't. At the point you approached the tutor, it may have been too late to make any changes, as you need to have the 120 credits from the first year to transfer.

Consider also if deferring for a year is an option. Make sure if do enroll for year 2 you clear about your objectives. If you decide not to continue to year 2, make sure you inform student finance as soon as possible to preserve your remaining loan entitlement.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
i have a friend who is in a wierd position,....he thinks he has definitely got a B in Maths a Distinction* in ICT Btec and a C in Economics,....having firmed queen mary and insured brunel. But wants to go to a better ranked uni...is there any point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending