The Student Room Group

A-Level grades are far more important than subjects.

Before going to University, everyone convinced me to choose traditional, respected subjects like Physics and Maths because that's what good universities want to see. This was a huge mistake.

I struggled massively with Physics and Maths and worked incredibly hard (I'm not naturally good at maths at all) ending up only with a B for each and an A in Economics. Now, if I had picked Religious Studies (dropped it at AS, got 91%) and Business Studies I'm very confident I would have AAA on my CV instead of ABB. I convinced myself that I wouldn't have received offers if I had weak subjects but when I got to university, it was a very different story. Here are the people's A-Levels I met just from my halls in a Top 20 Russell Group university:

Law student:

-P.E.
-Law
-Accounting

Economics student:

-Business Studies
-Sociology
-Politics

English Literature student:

-Art
-English
-Religious Studies

That's just from my halls. My friends from college also got into Top 20 universities and some of them had Media Studies, IT and other incredibly easy subjects. The whole two years they told me I was mad for taking such difficult subjects and for a long time I ignored them and felt confident that it will secure my offers; which it did... but no more than their offers. We all applied to roughly the same places; big cities like Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds etc. Now before someone says, "I do Religious Studies and it's the hardest evaaarrr!!!!" - no, it's an incredibly easy subject and nowhere near the difficulty of English Literature, Maths, any of the sciences, History and so on. I got 91% at AS for RS and didn't carry it on purely because it's a weak subject. Please don't think I'm being arrogant there; I am of very average intelligence.

I've come to the conlcusion that unless you're applying for a very prestigious Top 10 University, e.g. Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Durham... your grades are more important than your subjects. I very much wish I had AAA in easier subjects because my ABB is going to cause me problems with grade filters and minimum requirements with top companies like the Big 4 audit firms who want 340 UCAS points for a lot of their positions.

So my advice; if you're planning on applying to the big city Russell Group universities, bear in mind that a grade A in an easier subject is going to give you a less stressful time during A-Levels and will serve you better in the future than a B in a harder subject. Of course, an A in a harder subject is the perfect outcome but a lot of people drop a grade. Don't be fooled into thinking that "respected" subjects are paramount, because I have just witnessed first hand how that is not the case at all.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why have you moved in so early and which uni is this? :confused:
Do these people or their parents know the admissions officer?
I agree with some, of what you're saying.
Yeah It's true, but for the majority of A-level students they have no idea what course they want to do in the future so the safe bet would be to do harder traditional subjects so even when you suddenly want to change from doing Media studies at uni to Mathematics you have the option to do so.
In my case I want to do Business Management but as safer bet took Chemistry at A-level tbh struggled a lot through the two years but managed a B non the less, (I got an e for my unit6 PSA :frown: i blame teacher) but an A in something else would reflect better on me i guess.
Original post by lil sister
Before going to University, everyone convinced me to choose traditional, respected subjects like Physics and Maths because that's what good universities want to see. This was a huge mistake.

I don't care what anybody else says, you are spot on here. I did Maths, History and French, and although I really enjoyed it and there were clear benefits I think taking History at A level alongside the other subjects I had was a mistake.
Grades are important, but anyone living in the real world knows that a B in Maths better than an A* in Media.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
i agree with you but its kinda hard for some degree's where you have to do specific subjects.
You do realise you have more than 340 ucas points? 380 in fact.
Reply 9
Original post by Helloworld_95
You do realise you have more than 340 ucas points? 380 in fact.

120 + 100 + 100 = 320

I see you have the same problems I do with maths! :tongue:
120 + 100 + 100 = 320

I see you have the same problems I do with maths! :tongue:

120+100+100+60 = 380, you forgot the A in AS Religious Studies
Reply 11
Original post by Helloworld_95
120+100+100+60 = 380, you forgot the A in AS Religious Studies

You only count your 3 A-levels.
Reply 12
I think at A level you have to take subjects that you have a genuine interest in, and are good at, otherwise you will not come out with good grades.

I struggled massively with Physics and Maths and worked incredibly hard (I'm not naturally good at maths at all) ending up only with a B for each and an A in Economics. Now, if I had picked Religious Studies (dropped it at AS, got 91%) and Business Studies I'm very confident I would have AAA on my CV instead of ABB. I convinced myself that I wouldn't have received offers if I had weak subjects but when I got to university, it was a very different story. Here are the people's A-Levels I met just from my halls in a Top 20 Russell Group university:

Law student:

-P.E.
-Law
-Accounting

Economics student:

-Business Studies
-Sociology
-Politics

English Literature student:

-Art
-English
-Religious Studies

That's just from my halls. My friends from college also got into Top 20 universities and some of them had Media Studies, IT and other incredibly easy subjects. The whole two years they told me I was mad for taking such difficult subjects and for a long time I ignored them and felt confident that it will secure my offers; which it did... but no more than their offers. We all applied to roughly the same places; big cities like Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds etc. Now before someone says, "I do Religious Studies and it's the hardest evaaarrr!!!!" - no, it's an incredibly easy subject and nowhere near the difficulty of English Literature, Maths, any of the sciences, History and so on. I got 91% at AS for RS and didn't carry it on purely because it's a weak subject. Please don't think I'm being arrogant there; I am of very average intelligence.

I've come to the conlcusion that unless you're applying for a very prestigious Top 10 University, e.g. Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL, LSE, Durham... your grades are more important than your subjects. I very much wish I had AAA in easier subjects because my ABB is going to cause me problems with grade filters and minimum requirements with top companies like the Big 4 audit firms who want 340 UCAS points for a lot of their positions.

So my advice; if you're planning on applying to the big city Russell Group universities, bear in mind that a grade A in an easier subject is going to give you a less stressful time during A-Levels and will serve you better in the future than a B in a harder subject. Of course, an A in a harder subject is the perfect outcome but a lot of people drop a grade. Don't be fooled into thinking that "respected" subjects are paramount, because I have just witnessed first hand how that is not the case at all.

Why didn't you carry on with RS? It's even on Cambridge's "A-list" so to speak. :dontknow:
Yup you are right.
And when you apply for some of the best jobs they may ask that you have 360 UCAS points (or whatever it will be for you guys under the A* system). You can't say "I have 340 but I did hard subjects"!.
This is BS. Most top courses specifically ask for certain subjects at certain grades.

Could you ever get into science without science subjects? Point given.
This is actually very relevant to me right now. Id appreciate anyone's opinion.. I'm wanting to do zoology (aiming for uni of bristol) - a very popular course, but I don't trust myself to get a decent grade in physics. I think its more important to get AAA in less preferable sciences like psychology? I plan on doing biology, chemistry, psychology but im now even wondering whether to switch chemistry. But of course bristol is prestigious so...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e
Original post by Flying Cookie
This is BS. Most top courses specifically ask for certain subjects at certain grades.

Could you ever get into science without science subjects? Point given.

Science related top courses yes, but others such as social sciences which are also top courses not at all. This is from personal experience this year where other people I know have had the same offers with softer subjects (same uni). So it isn't BS and that's the reality. Science courses inevitably need certain subjects so you can hardly use that as an example.

I'm not saying it'a better to do all 'easy' subjects but definitely a combination to ease the load.

Original post by WhamBamJam.
This is actually very relevant to me right now. Id appreciate anyone's opinion.. I'm wanting to do zoology (aiming for uni of bristol) - a very popular course, but I don't trust myself to get a decent grade in physics. I think its more important to get AAA in less preferable sciences like psychology? I plan on doing biology, chemistry, psychology but im now even wondering whether to switch chemistry. But of course bristol is prestigious so...

You need to read Bristol's policy on this and carefully. The uni I really want to go to I only later found out accept general studies, but I was being a snob and didn't do it and now I'm really regretting it. It's good that you have a good idea of where you want to go. You could even ring them if you need to, it won't harm anything.

edit: this is what Bristol say on the website

" Entry requirements are three A levels, with at least two (preferably three) in maths/sciences and always to include Biology. GCSE passes in Physical Science or Chemistry (or double-award Combined Science) and in Mathematics are required. See our*list of preferred A-levels *(Word, 19.5 KB)."

(List of preferred A-levels does include psychology but have a quick look - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/prospective-undergraduates/admissions.html )
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I agree with OP. If I could go back then I would do Media Studies for an easy A* instead of mother****ing Chemistry.
Original post by Retro.spex

(List of preferred A-levels does include psychology but have a quick look - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/biology/prospective-undergraduates/admissions.html )

Thanks. :smile: Yeah I've read up on the requirements and they say they accept psychology, geography etc, but prefer it to be Chemistry, Physics and so forth.So I'm unsure if I'll be put below those who are doing more preferable sciences. I guess, like you said, best thing is to contact the uni. Thanks for your advice.

Edit: I see from your link it says 'Those applicants studying our preferred subjects will be more likely to receive an offer.', which I suppose makes sense!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest