The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2920
Original post by getmetothebar
Has anyone had any news from Lincoln House post first round? I know that last year they had informed candidates about second rounds within 1 day.

I am not 100% but I believe they had two interviews this evening. So I would expect the results to follow shortly.
Original post by GreenMatt
"Just rang 13 KBW and they said they won't be getting back to people until the end of the month..!"

Wow - they are going to be losing out on some good candidates....if anyone gets offered pupillage on 2nd August, they'll have to take it, and 13 KBW won't get a look in. Weird.

Do you want to come and sort through 450 applications for me? We will be back to people before the end of the week, not month!
Reply 2922
Original post by Wildman
maybe that's the point. Don't want to waste time with people who will just take up offers elsewhere?

Maybe they're just planning a really, really, really superquick turnaround?! They are OLPAS, so I'd be surprised if they weren't planning on offering on the same timetable as the other OLPAS sets. Looking at last year's thread, they didn't give invites until 22nd-ish July...
Original post by Pupilmaster
Do you want to come and sort through 450 applications for me? We will be back to people before the end of the week, not month!

I don't think there's any need for that kind of attitude on here (I'm referring to the mocking invite to come and sort out applications). Greenmatt was only expressing his concerns over what somebody else has stated in an earlier post. He was right to do so as the same thought crossed my mind. Besides, other sets have had over 800 applications and they managed not only to sort them out already, but also to hold first and second round interviews.

Further, your funny remark makes me wonder about the attitude of members at 13Kbw generally. A 'pupil master' should know better.

Original post by Anonymous25

I don't think there's any need for that kind of attitude on here (I'm referring to the mocking invite to come and sort out applications). Greenmatt was only expressing his concerns over what somebody else has stated in an earlier post. He was right to do so as the same thought crossed my mind. Besides, other sets have had over 800 applications and they managed not only to sort them out already, but also to hold first and second round interviews.

Further, your funny remark makes me wonder about the attitude of members at 13Kbw generally. A 'pupil master' should know better.

It is absolutely legitimate to enquire about the reasons why a chambers (in this case 13KBW) is unable to manage 450 applications (as opposed to the 700-1000 that some other sets receive). In my view, such a delay is the result of either gross carelessness on part of those in charge of recruitment or complete incompetence when it comes to organisation. Either way, it does beg the question why applicants are not properly informed (I read in an earlier section of this thread that there were sets that constantly informed about the process) about the reasons for such delays. It is even more startling when one thinks about the fact that invitations by some chambers are still (in this day and age!) sent out by Royal Mail (mind you, second-class post - meaning it doesn't arrive in parts of Britain or Europe within a reasonable span of time) and, therefore, last-minute. The costs of booking train/flight tickets at short notice and organizing accommodation has to be calculated as well - costs that major corporations frequently reimburse. I understand that Chambers can't do that. And that's fine by me.

What is not fine by me, however, is the attitude of pupilmaster. Against the backdrop of applicants working their backsides off to write proper applications, build their CVs (at a financial loss and opportunity cost to them), pupilmaster's attitude is just misplaced. I fully agree with the sentiments expressed by Anonymous25 in this regard. Quite rude and frankly condescending on part of pupilmaster, really. This type of comment smacks of a complete lack of respect for others. No one forces a set to advertise for pupillage - but when it does avail itself of its option to do so, the applicants can expect a turnaround within a reasonable period of time, rather than a set of illogical and petulant excuses and name-calling!

Like Anonymous25, I'm left to wonder whether I ought to allocate an application to 13KBW, if the attitude of (wanna-be?) "pupilmaster" is representative of the entire set's creed. This kind of behaviour might be appropriate in certain social circles, amongst pupillage applicants it surely is not.

In one word: Disgraceful!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous25

You're right, a sense of humour is a dreadful thing. I shall go outside and thrash myself with stinging nettles forthwith!
Heh. It's silly season again!
Original post by Kessler`
Heh. It's silly season again!

We need something to get us through :wink:
Original post by seatoshiningsea
This type of comment smacks of a complete lack of respect for others.... Disgraceful!

I interviewed there last year - they're lovely. So there :tongue:

Also: man up.
Blimey - Relax. I was good enough to ensure that the process is done more quickly than had been envisaged. If you think this is 'disrespectful' you wait until you have a 25 year old paralegal from Hull moaning at you for not winning the un-winnable, and then not paying you for two years. You wait until your pupil supervisor takes you to task for some failing or other, the clerks are on your back, and you have an enormous tax bill to repay.

Temperament is one of the four principal criteria we look for. A bit of confidence, swagger, and above all a sense of humour go a long way!
Reply 2930
I am sitting here praying to be called for interview at 13kbw. They are an amazing set and, it seems, forward thinking to be checking on this site.

This may be anonymous but it strikes me as unwise to start slating sets of chambers. Not least because these self-employed practitioners are using billing hours to sort through our forms.

As for replying with a joke - thank god some sets have a sense of humour!
Do you want to come and sort through 450 applications for me?

I'd be more than happy - so long as you do not question any of the decisions I make... :colone:
Reply 2932
Pupilmaster may just be an eccentric student looking to cause a ruckuss on a slow-news day on these boards, before anyone types out an indignant 500 word reply or phones the head of chambers...
Original post by InnerTemple
I'd be more than happy - so long as you do not question any of the decisions I make... :colone:

That was precisely the reaction I anticipated! Gold star!

Your user name suggests that you are a Pupil Master this is worrying because if it is true you are obviously incapable of working under pressure glad I didn’t apply.
Original post by Potential Pupil
Your user name suggests that you are a Pupil Master this is worrying because if it is true you are obviously incapable of working under pressure glad I didn’t apply.

What the hell?!

Calm down people. If pupilmaster is legit, then we should be grateful to them for coming on here to update us - far better than the lot of us asking around for people to phone chambers for information.

If he isn't legit, then we loose nothing by being courteous.
Original post by Potential Pupil

Turning, if I may, to more serious matters (I really was just trying to help), I'm amazed at the simmering hatred that is on this site. I have looked back at the posts made (in response to others, and in other threads) by some of my critics and there seems to be a rich seam of dislike for the Bar and Chambers amongst pupil applicants. There are abusive comments, threats to report the BSB, and what seems to me to be an unjustified criticism of the Bar. I find this bewildering. As someone said above, you pay a fortune to do the BPTC, presumably because you are attracted to the Bar, its work, lifestyle.

Can this be explained?
Turning, if I may, to more serious matters (I really was just trying to help), I'm amazed at the simmering hatred that is on this site. I have looked back at the posts made (in response to others, and in other threads) by some of my critics and there seems to be a rich seam of dislike for the Bar and Chambers amongst pupil applicants. There are abusive comments, threats to report the BSB, and what seems to me to be an unjustified criticism of the Bar. I find this bewildering. As someone said above, you pay a fortune to do the BPTC, presumably because you are attracted to the Bar, its work, lifestyle.

Can this be explained?

Unfortunately, I think that the stress of pupillage season starts to get to many applicants way in advance of this point and I'm hoping that the cause of the negativity it just that personalities are distorted by July time! Hopefully you have realised that this perceived thread of bitterness towards the Bar is only adopted by a few of the posters on here - most of us are grateful for any news/updates/advice/encouragement that we can get. This page has been very useful for applicants like me who have had the good fortune of chatting to others and receiving good advice for interviews and applications and I hope that the emphasis will remain on this, rather than on venting anger over the pupillage portal process.:colondollar:
Reply 2938

Can this be explained?

A lot of people who want to be barristers have a high opinion of themselves take themselves extremely seriously. Combine that with (or credit that to?) ~10 years of never failing at anything, and you have a tidal wave of frustrated rage ready to crash upon the rocks of a very difficult (and in many ways very flawed) recruitment process.
Original post by Shearn
A lot of people who want to be barristers have a high opinion of themselves take themselves extremely seriously. Combine that with (or credit that to?) ~10 years of never failing at anything, and you have a tidal wave of frustrated rage ready to crash upon the rocks of a very difficult (and in many ways very flawed) recruitment process.

I was chatting to the head of the pupillage committee in Hall the other day as to how it could be done better. I am sure there are many ways, but, of course, we have no control over it.

Help me with a quick straw poll on this one. I have a brilliant form. Probably the best one of the lot. In the, why do you want to apply to chambers section, they have written - "I would love to come to [name of another set] etc".

Now this is a balls up, but the form is great. Through or not?

(I am NOT going to base the decision on your replies, just interested in your views.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending