The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lawstudent100
Shame about 5SAH was really hoping to get an interview there, my portal hasnt changed yet and is still under consideration.

Just got an email from 1 High Pavement asking for my BPTC grade, after getting my references last week - WHAT DOES THIS MEAN! I just want to know if I'm being interviewed lol!

I think there's a strong chance you are being interviewed! I have applied but haven't had either of these requests from them so I'm assuming they're just asking those they're inviting to interview!
Reply 3101
Original post by Glaw
Anyone heard from Harcourt or Reniassance post first rounds? It's been well over a week with Harcourt so just wondering if others have heard.

Renaissance 2nd round are out but have not heard from Harcourt...
Original post by jump28
Has anyone heard anything at all from 5RB? I really hope they haven't got back to anybody yet, rather than it being a silent rejection for me..!

Alas yes - a rejection from 5RB this afternoon via the Pupillage Portal... At least I can go on holiday now!

I applied to 4 chambers in this first year of applications and got only one interview (Blackstone). Have just completed a GDL. Just found out that I've got a distinction, which is great and while I am relieved that the portal process is over for now, I do worry about what this means for next year... Any sensible, constructive advice welcome.

I hope you've been successful.
Reply 3103
I haven't heard anything from Harcourt either. They did say at the end of the interview, they would let us know within a week either way as I asked at the end.

Having said that, I remember when they initially called about the first round, they said they were undecided about whether they would have a second round or not and that they may just have a first round.

I don't know what to make of all that - suffice to say, if others have had the second round phone call - that pretty much answers it - if not - we are in the dark !
Does anybody know anything about the format/content of 13KBW interview? I have been told there is a question to be answered upon arrival but that is literally the only detail. Thanks in advance!
Original post by Wigging Out
Alas yes - a rejection from 5RB this afternoon via the Pupillage Portal... At least I can go on holiday now!

I applied to 4 chambers in this first year of applications and got only one interview (Blackstone). Have just completed a GDL. Just found out that I've got a distinction, which is great and while I am relieved that the portal process is over for now, I do worry about what this means for next year... Any sensible, constructive advice welcome.

I hope you've been successful.

Are you actually looking for advice or fishing for praise?? If the former, ask a specific question and you'll get some constructive advice. If the latter, I'm sure a career at the Bar will be all the validation you need my boy :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3106
Does anyone have any experience of a final round at 39ES they are willing to share? This is my first final round and don't really know what to expect so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
Original post by smeg9
Does anyone have any experience of a final round at 39ES they are willing to share? This is my first final round and don't really know what to expect so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

I wish. Great set. Good luck
Reply 3108
Sounds like we are all in the dark regarding Harcourt.....
Reply 3109
I am beginning to think that Temple Garden Chambers have changed their mind and don't want a pupil anymore!

Has anyone else heard? It has now been almost a month since the interview!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3110
Would anyone who has experience of the 5SAH interview process mind posting some feedback on: the kind of questions they ask? What does the legal problem entail? etc.
Original post by Lawlad
I am beginning to think that Temple Garden Chambers have changed their mind and don't want a pupil anymore!

Has anyone else heard? It has now been almost a month since the interview!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Still no news from my end either. It has now been well over a month, so I am a little bit concerned! Their website definitely says that there will be a second interview though ....

I have tried call a couple of times over the last few weeks, but both times that I have called, the person that I needed to speak to has been away. It would be a massive help if someone else could give them a try ...!!

Hope this helps,

MT
Original post by BARbaric
Would anyone who has experience of the 5SAH interview process mind posting some feedback on: the kind of questions they ask? What does the legal problem entail? etc.

Hi there,

I applied last year so will tell you what I remember in the hope that is helps. The legal problem involves them sending you a page-long fictional case accompanied by relevant case law, including a rather long judgment. They also provide three questions based on the case that you have to prepare. It is reasonably straightforward as the answers tend to be contained in the case law. The only thing I would alert you to about the legal problem is that they only selected one of the questions given prior to the interview to ask me about, not all three that I had been told to prepare. They then also asked a more unusual question based on the scenario but not provided in advance (I think mine was "what would the Defendant have to have done for the offence to fall into x category"). Sorry if this is a little sketchy, I can't remember the precise facts! Key advice is to read as quickly as you possibly can, take a highlighter for the long judgment and expect an extra question rather than simply answering the ones provided.

They then ask a series of questions based on your application and grades. I had a perfectly reasonable and politely asked question about a blip on my CV which I had to justify and then had to elaborate on the different interests that I had outlined on my form.

All in all I would say that it was the most relaxed and friendly interview that I have had, even despite the legal problem. They are a genuinely lovely set and after getting through to the final round last year I was gutted not to be invited again this year. Very best of luck to you though and I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on! :wink:

p.s if there is any good thread karma, I should get some 13KBW interview advice round about now....
Reply 3113
Original post by Luckypupil
I wish. Great set. Good luck

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by moderntemplar
Still no news from my end either. It has now been well over a month, so I am a little bit concerned! Their website definitely says that there will be a second interview though ....

I have tried call a couple of times over the last few weeks, but both times that I have called, the person that I needed to speak to has been away. It would be a massive help if someone else could give them a try ...!!

Hope this helps,

MT

I e-mailed. They are 'hoping' to get back to people by the end of this week, they are planning on having their final round on the 30th.
Reply 3115
Sorry for people who have read his before, I am just hoping someone reads this who may be willing to give me some advice in the format of 1 Pump Courts first round. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Got a couple of second rounds involving advocacy exercises - will this definitely be a plea in mitigation or a bail app in people's exeriences?

Also - do they usually give you any books or anything to use, or sentencing guidelines?

Thanks

J
Reply 3117
Original post by wantobeathebar
Hi there,

I applied last year so will tell you what I remember in the hope that is helps. The legal problem involves them sending you a page-long fictional case accompanied by relevant case law, including a rather long judgment. They also provide three questions based on the case that you have to prepare. It is reasonably straightforward as the answers tend to be contained in the case law. The only thing I would alert you to about the legal problem is that they only selected one of the questions given prior to the interview to ask me about, not all three that I had been told to prepare. They then also asked a more unusual question based on the scenario but not provided in advance (I think mine was "what would the Defendant have to have done for the offence to fall into x category"). Sorry if this is a little sketchy, I can't remember the precise facts! Key advice is to read as quickly as you possibly can, take a highlighter for the long judgment and expect an extra question rather than simply answering the ones provided.

They then ask a series of questions based on your application and grades. I had a perfectly reasonable and politely asked question about a blip on my CV which I had to justify and then had to elaborate on the different interests that I had outlined on my form.

All in all I would say that it was the most relaxed and friendly interview that I have had, even despite the legal problem. They are a genuinely lovely set and after getting through to the final round last year I was gutted not to be invited again this year. Very best of luck to you though and I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on! :wink:

p.s if there is any good thread karma, I should get some 13KBW interview advice round about now....

That is so lovely of you for setting all of that out, thank you. I hope karma is with you. Thank you for not mentioning to my competitors about 5SAH being keen on interviewees turning up in chicken suits. Hopefully that will give me the edge I require... Good luck at 13KBW.
Original post by wantobeathebar
Hi there,

Sorry to be invasive and feel free not to answer, but what do you mean by blip? Do you mean a mistake on your OLPAS form or something like that or a negative exam result or a period of absence etc?
Original post by legal_lobster_89
I e-mailed. They are 'hoping' to get back to people by the end of this week, they are planning on having their final round on the 30th.

Thank you so much for looking into this legal_lobster_89, it is much appreciated.

Best of luck!

MT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending