The Student Room Group

General Olympics Thread MKII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benten17
Because he was good enough at the time I guess. Is there a minimum age to compete in the Olympics, I don't think so?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah. I think it varies for different sports. It was 14 for diving in 2008. Don't know if it's changed. There was some initial furor over a Chinese gymnast in Beijing over her age.
Original post by lilabs
Ah :smile: thanks but I mean how eas he 'allowed' to do it not being 16?

Because he was good enough at the time I guess. Is there a minimum age to compete in the Olympics, I don't think so?

No age limit in Diving as they dont think its as dangerous where as stuff like gymnastics they put a limit on.

There are two major reasons for the 16 year age limit that I've heard:

1) The psychological pressures of Olympic level competition are very hard on kids, and the people at FIG didn't want the kids to be subjected to those pressures.

2) The tricks that Olympic level gymnasts perform are incredibly dangerous to learn and master, and broken bones -- especially breaking bones at or near the joints -- can be especially devastating to still developing bones, as it can damage the growth plates at the ends of the bones and therefore permanently disfigure the gymnasts.

Original post by Drewski
Nope, just have to qualify. Many gymnasts are 13/14/15, we've seen 15yr old swimmers this time round.

No gymnasts are Under 16 theres a limit they could be in the past.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 62
It's more a warning I suppose :smile:

They aren't over yet. We still have the Spice Girls to look forward to tomorrow :frown:
The joy...

yeah but they were massive and admit it when they were around you loved them like I did :smile: ... I'm hoping for Florence and the Machine tomorrow but my heart will be broken because it's unlikely :cry2:
Reply 64
Original post by Drewski
Nope, just have to qualify. Many gymnasts are 13/14/15, we've seen 15yr old swimmers this time round.

Oooh, this I did not know :^_^:
Tom Daley :love:
So Mo for SPOTY?
Reply 67
Original post by johnharris19944
No age limit in Diving as they dont think its as dangerous where as stuff like gymnastics they put a limit on.

There are two major reasons for the 16 year age limit that I've heard:

1) The psychological pressures of Olympic level competition are very hard on kids, and the people at FIG didn't want the kids to be subjected to those pressures.

2) The tricks that Olympic level gymnasts perform are incredibly dangerous to learn and master, and broken bones -- especially breaking bones at or near the joints -- can be especially devastating to still developing bones, as it can damage the growth plates at the ends of the bones and therefore permanently disfigure the gymnasts.

Don't quote me on this but you're probably more likely to break limbs playing rugby or even football - yet people aren't stopped from playing these sports if they aren't 16+.
Reply 68
Original post by Peggles_*
So Mo for SPOTY?

Still Wiggins once people have calmed down. Murray is in with a shout if he somehow wins the USO. Nadal might not compete so there is a good chance that it could happen.
Can somone tell me where/when toms medal ceremony will be? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.
Reply 70
Original post by Peggles_*
So Mo for SPOTY?

Great contendor, but has to be Wiggo surely?
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
Can somone tell me where/when toms medal ceremony will be? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App.

Just missed it. It was on BBC Olympics Channel 2.
Reply 72
Yep, it just happened

Original post by stefl14
Don't quote me on this but you're probably more likely to break limbs playing rugby or even football - yet people aren't stopped from playing these sports if they aren't 16+.

Also apparently my dad tells me there was a fear the girls were being abused not sexually but physically pushing their bodies to much to harsh limits at that age and it may have affected them in the future when they were older so they decided to put a limit to it. They were worried the gymnasts would be exploited and not mentally or physically ready.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by johnharris19944
Also apparently my dad tells me there was a fear the girls were being abused not sexually but physically pushing their bodies to much to harsh limits at that age and it may have affected them in the future when they were older so they decided to put a limit to it.

Again this would be silly. All top athletes train hard from young age. I am nowhere near top level but training 25 hours/week was normal for me in boxing from 15. And even an 11 year old boxer at the gym trained similarly hard.
Reply 75
Well thats the Second Super Saturday! Was just chuffed that Daley got a medal :biggrin: is there still 2 boxing finals left tonight with brits in?
Reply 76
Wow Russia only has the chance for about 6 more Golds, so even if they win all their events, we'll still be ahead. Hoorah
Hi again guys.

Just looking over the post count - do I get a medal or something for first place? :tongue: :king1:
What is that Ukrainian boxer's hair about? :dontknow:
Original post by Benniboi1
Well thats the Second Super Saturday! Was just chuffed that Daley got a medal :biggrin: is there still 2 boxing finals left tonight with brits in?

Yes, we still have two boxing finalists. Thirty golds are possible albeit difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest