The Student Room Group

10 Myths About Introverts

Myth #1 Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

Taken from http://www.carlkingdom.com/10-myths-about-introverts...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Virtually all of the above is applicable to me, and yet everyone I know considers me an extrovert. How droll.
Reply 2
Original post by Profesh
Virtually all of the above is applicable to me, and yet everyone I know considers me an extrovert. How droll.

That's interesting.

Has it always been that way?
Reply 3
I hate the pressure in society to be (or even act) extroverted.
I wish introverts weren't so looked down on.
Where ever I go, people are always like 'omg you're such a sad loner, why don't you talk more?' or 'why don't you want to come to this party, you don't know how to have fun' or 'you like to stay at home and just read? You're so lame'.
:colonhash:
tumblr_mc44mewuGf1riiti8o1_1280.jpg
:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Surely posting this on TSR is preaching to the choir? :tongue:
Original post by Pinkhead
I hate the pressure in society to be (or even act) extroverted.
I wish introverts weren't so looked down on.
Where ever I go, people are always like 'omg you're such a sad loner, why don't you talk more?' or 'why don't you want to come to this party, you don't know how to have fun' or 'you like to stay at home and just read? You're so lame'.
:colonhash:
tumblr_mc44mewuGf1riiti8o1_1280.jpg
:biggrin:

Is it bad if my parents say that to me?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Is it bad if my parents say that to me?

Lol my parents sometimes say something similar, maybe not so upfront about it though. It's a sad world we live in :frown:
I just learn to ignore it.
Reply 7
Fellow introvert here. Im the type that reads at parties. When once asked why I do this, I said books were more interesting than people. So maybe I am a bit rude. But the points above apply to me. I also hate people telling me to speak more etc. Usually whenever someone says that to me I become upset with them.

Funnily enough though, I tend to befriend people who are extremely *extroverted. The polar opposite of me. I don't know why. Although I do sort of value my introverted friends mode for more serious conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jarasta
Fellow introvert here. Im the type that reads at parties. When once asked why I do this, I said books were more interesting than people. So maybe I am a bit rude. But the points above apply to me. I also hate people telling me to speak more etc. Usually whenever someone says that to me I become upset with them.

Funnily enough though, I tend to befriend people who are extremely introverted. The polar opposite of me. I don't know why. Although I do sort of value my introverted friends mode for more serious conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean extroverted?
I think it's because you'd rather have them talk instead of you putting too much effort in. I sometimes just let my friend yap away and I just listen.
Reply 9
Original post by jarasta

Funnily enough though, I tend to befriend people who are extremely introverted. The polar opposite of me. I don't know why. Although I do sort of value my introverted friends mode for more serious conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly I don't know why extroverts say "you need to talk more". It's ironic because it usually follows a little run of form during which you've actually been chatty and cracking jokes.

But whatever. That's what extroverts know and they've been given no reason to suspect that there's a slightly different personality than theirs. What irks me, though, is when you do actually speak, probably about a topic that you're interested in or have atleast been thinking about, and they shut you down straight away by interrupting you or something. And not-talking was such a big deal a few minutes ago. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Yeah. I meant extroverted. Boy he can talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
i am beyond the introvert I am the omegavert.

being a omegavert implies that you like to roll around in the mud between random intervals.
It's reflective of the world we live in.

I'm sick of loudness being mistaken for confidence. All these people acting crazy, showing their tits/body off and being loud as hell and people believe they're the most confident people ever. In most cases they aren't.

There's so much pressure to be someone you aren't. Especially in university.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh it's so nice to be reminded that there really are other normal, non-extroverted people like me in the world! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Stratos
i am beyond the introvert I am the omegavert.

being a omegavert implies that you like to roll around in the mud between random intervals.

I've heard this is how some people roll. :smile:

Original post by jblackmoustache
It's reflective of the world we live in.

I'm sick of loudness being mistaken for confidence. All these people acting crazy, showing their tits/body off and being loud as hell and people believe they're the most confident people ever. In most cases they aren't.

There's so much pressure to be someone you aren't. Especially in university.

Very true. Insecurely bold =/= confident.
This is a pretty accurate description of me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by Dark Horse
Honestly I don't know why extroverts say "you need to talk more". It's ironic because it usually follows a little run of form during which you've actually been chatty and cracking jokes.

But whatever. That's what extroverts know and they've been given no reason to suspect that there's a slightly different personality than theirs. What irks me, though, is when you do actually speak, probably about a topic that you're interested in or have atleast been thinking about, and they shut you down straight away by interrupting you or something. And not-talking was such a big deal a few minutes ago. :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I've experienced exactly those things. I don't know, it seems extroverts, the ones I know atleast don't know about the two personality types. Introvertism and extrovertism (don't know if those are actual words).
As a result even people close to me like parents and gf don't understand why I have no interest in making small talk. For example telling them how my day went.
My ex also an extreme extrovert would always try to get me to say. But I'd always reply with,'okay'. Just because I deem it irrelevant and trivial. But when I want to talk about things I'm interested in (granted its beyond some people). Im shut down despite the fact that I listen to them talk about things I'm not interested.

As a result, they feel like I'm not letting them be a part of my life -_-. So in a way, I've kinda decided for myself, if I am to get married. It's best to find an introvert like me. They will maybe understand me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
There's a reason introverts feel the compelled to discuss their character on this forum on a regular base, and its not to enlighten or educate. :yawn:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Yawn11
There's a reason introverts feel the compelled to discuss their character on this forum on a regularly base, and its not to enlighten or educate. :yawn:

This should be good....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending