The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

what is Kingston University like?

I've been researching into Kingston quite a bit and I really like what I'm reading/hearing but I was wondering if anyone had any positive/negative experiences to share or has been/goes and would recommend it etc?

I'll be applying for midwifery, so any information about the course or placements or just the health science department in general would be great as well but generally any feedback appreciated.

thanks guys :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it Kingston hill campus?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
yes i think so :smile: i missed the open day unfortunately so I don't know an awful lot about it, just what I've read on the website and what I've heard on the phone x
Reply 3
I don't know much about the midwifery course, but if I'm correct some of the lectures are taught at st George's in tooting.

The campus is secluded but self contained with a subway and other restaurants on site. The area is very leafy and green and there isn't much else on the hill.

Town is about a 20 min bus ride as are the other campuses.

It's a very small campus compared to other unis I've visited, but has a lot of facilities.
Reply 4
Hiyaa :smile: Im studying Midwifery aswell, i was looking at Kingston too, but i haven't visited it either :/
I went to Roehampton uni which is only a few miles from Kingston Uni. Kingston itself is ok...shops, restaurants, Oceana nightclub. But easy to get trains into central London. The campus is slightly outside Kingston town centre, but I think they have a specific Uni bus as well as public transport. That's all I know!
Reply 6
I'd like to know more about the uni aswell, Kingston is in one of my choices.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
It is UNREAL!!!!!! Oceona goess off on a wednesday, plus loads of nice places too munch... and yer the uni is pritty sweet....you wouldnt regret going their for rizzleeeeeee
Reply 8
Kingston town is lovely, plenty of shops, places to eat out and there's a pretty big Primark there too :P Clubs are pretty good but the pubs can be a bit on the expensive side. The cinema's also a bit expensive but they show loads of films there.
Original post by ellieHA
Kingston town is lovely, plenty of shops, places to eat out and there's a pretty big Primark there too :P Clubs are pretty good but the pubs can be a bit on the expensive side. The cinema's also a bit expensive but they show loads of films there.

Lmaooo fck primark, but yes theres loads of stuff to do their, accomodation is exspensive but hey your near london so gonna be...
Reply 10
The science courses at Kingston are in Penrhyn campus, the main one. I started there this september doing forensic science. So far its really good, i love it! Kingston is a nice area, Town is close to the campus and it has everything you'll need. The night life is great. Most of my lecturers are good, they put slides from lectures online so you have access to them. Some negatives, cant think of many actually. I guess the campus itself isnt the best looking, the lecture halls arent what you expect normal halls to be, I mean most of the buildings just have classrooms. But at the end of the day that doesnt really matter, as long as you get a good education, enjoy the course and like the Uni you will do well. I think if you make good friends you will have fun at Kingston :smile:
I dont really know what else to tell you, just ask me anything you want to know :smile:
Reply 11
thank you this has been really helpful and i'm completely sold with regards to student life and location, and im happy with what i've read on the website with regards to the course so i think im going to go ahead and apply, wish me luck.

thanks again guys :smile:
My sister studied forensic science there and she really enjoyed it. She even got to spend a year abroad. One of her friends did nursing and from what I've been told the course is pretty rigorous, although I suppose when it comes to other people's lives it's not such a bad thing, she did get kicked off the course but that was because she had the wrong attitude entirely to be a nurse.

So if midwifery is something you really want to do, you should be fine. Although I suppose in most places they'll kick out out if you don't put in the effort.

From what I've seen of the surrounding area it's lovely, my sister's 3rd year accomodation was fairly cheap and her room was pretty big. She's always telling me how things were so much cheaper in Kingston as well. But we're from London so cheaper for us might be not so much cheaper for you.

Hope I helped some!
Reply 13
Original post by Chocip
My sister studied forensic science there and she really enjoyed it. She even got to spend a year abroad. One of her friends did nursing and from what I've been told the course is pretty rigorous, although I suppose when it comes to other people's lives it's not such a bad thing, she did get kicked off the course but that was because she had the wrong attitude entirely to be a nurse.

So if midwifery is something you really want to do, you should be fine. Although I suppose in most places they'll kick out out if you don't put in the effort.

From what I've seen of the surrounding area it's lovely, my sister's 3rd year accomodation was fairly cheap and her room was pretty big. She's always telling me how things were so much cheaper in Kingston as well. But we're from London so cheaper for us might be not so much cheaper for you.

Hope I helped some!

thanks! you did help :smile: its interesting to know they take a firm stance on those who dont pull their weight. i'll be sure not to fall behind :tongue:

Reply 14
Original post by ellieHA

I love how you use having a big Primark as a selling point for a uni/town!! :biggrin:

Mega lol!
I dont know anything about kingston university. But the are surrounding area has many things you can do as a student. It has a good shopping centre not to far from the the university, cinema, good restaurants, clubs for those special occasions.
There is Richmond park 15mins bus away. Its quite big with loads of deers. Its a great place.
It has good transport links to central London and other local areas.
Sorry its not answering your question.
Reply 16
I'm enjoying it so far. :smile:

Got a crazy lecturer who fits the Jackie Chan/ dojo master stereotype to the t, other lecturers seem fairly knowledgeable and the IT department/ online StudySpace works really well (although others have had a problem in the past), the Kingston Hill library (Learning Resource Centre) and other buildings are very modern and there are plenty of computers/ tables for studying in a chilled environment.

I live just south of Wimbledon though, so commuting to the uni everyday (especially for the deathly 9AM lectures) is a b****, but heavy traffic is hardly exclusive to some areas in and around London.

the intersite bus service works well, however if you think you are going to need to travel from one place to another within a certain time, again the traffic could stick a finger in your plans if they were as ill thought out as my initial ones. :biggrin:

Haven't been 'out' yet, but I have only heard good things about the nightlife in Kingston, will be able to give a better opinion once, to paraphrase, I 'have been ended' with a rugby social/ birthday thing tomorrow. :s

Randomly bumped into a person who I went to school with in South Africa on a bus, she is also enjoying the uni so far.

plenty of societies, but from my narrow-minded male perspective it seems as though the 'nerdy' ones seem to be the most active.

Oh, and one really important thing for me is the wifi is free and really fast on campus, so if you have your own laptop/ tablet and have a bit of a wait between lectures, YouTube in all its glory is your friend. :tongue:

Hope you can take something from this ambling. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by askew116
I love how you use having a big Primark as a selling point for a uni/town!! :biggrin:

Mega lol!

Trust me when you're a student a cheap clothes shop is a Godsend. I meant it more as a bonus than a selling point to be honest, just a lot of the shops in Kingston are the more expensive ones (Topshop and all that) so it's good to have somewhere that won't break the bank!
Original post by Seaton
I'm enjoying it so far. :smile:

plenty of societies, but from my narrow-minded male perspective it seems as though the 'nerdy' ones seem to be the most active.

Join the KUSS (snow sports!) society. Quality night outs :smile: I left Kingston last year though but I'm sure it's still good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by yennibubs
Join the KUSS (snow sports!) society. Quality night outs :smile: I left Kingston last year though but I'm sure it's still good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm part of the rugby club, went to first social last night.

Was the first time I have ever been to a club (Oceana)

I left two hours before someone got stabbed and died of his wounds. :s-smilie: :confused:

By f**k if it is not the last!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending