The Student Room Group

Is America really the "Land of the free"???

My American friend was telling me what a wonderful country America is and it's the "land of opportunity,land of the free,America is freedom" bla bla

So why do Americans think that they are better than anyone else?

America , is supposed to be "The Land of the Free" , yet it is one of the most racist countries I have ever encountered? not to mention the religious-right evangelical extremists,paying for healthcare etc.

Oh and America has free speech? yeah right!

All I'm saying is that America doesn't have any more freedom than Europe or Japan.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's called patriotism... People really should be aware of what it is by now...

The exact same reason why I have a natural tendency to prefer Britain over other countries that, on paper, look similar. It's what I'm used to.
Reply 2
The UK is the greatest country in the world, no doubt. But America is pretty cool.
Reply 3
Original post by readysteady
My American friend was telling me what a wonderful country America is and it's the "land of opportunity,land of the free,America is freedom" bla bla

America , is supposed to be "The Land of the Free" , yet it is one of the most racist countries I have ever encountered? not to mention the religious-right evangelical extremists,paying for healthcare etc.

All I'm saying is that America doesn't have any more freedom than Europe or Japan.

Only if you equate Freedom with low Taxes.

In america you literally get raided by armed police officers if you drink Raw Milk, you get Shot if you go shopping on Black Friday and Police Officer looses his cool, its crazy place

You have free speech , freedom to speak a basement, if you get too popular a scandal or media boycott starts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/24/usa.comment
What's racism got to do with freedom?
Reply 5
ignore
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
no it isnt, it is an incredibly unfree nation, bound by unaffordable healthcare, an unaffordably large military draining taxes, extremely anti worker business laws, i would hate to live in america.
America is seen as the land of the free as they won their freedom in the war of independance. Every baby born in america could be the president whereas in the rest of the world although most places don't bar us from leadership people are more realistic about the future (not to offend any americans, optimistim is good). The opportunity is all about the american dream, anyone can make it, all that stuff.

However american history teaches us they have not been free. They see small governments as an advantage however others may see their lack of universial healthcare for example as a disadvantage. Also when the declaration of independence was annonued, although slaves made up around 1/4 of the population, they were not freed or allowed to vote whereas in the war the british freed slaves who fought for them. The racial tensions you talk about go back to the civil war and the segrigation that follow meaning racial issues were not dealt with as quickly or easily as in other nations. They got votes for women the same time as Britain though some states had already given them the vote. During world world one, many civil liberties were withdrawn including critising the allies.

The irony about the pride america has is that a lot of them are from immigrant backgrounds so america is made up of different cultures. However there is no harm in patrioism, unless people take it too far. The whole topic comes down to what freedom is and whether it is as desirable as you think.
Reply 8
America never won their freedom in the war of independance. America is not free from the Crown.
Reply 9
Original post by James10000

In america you literally get raided by armed police officers if you drink Raw Milk, you get Shot if you go shopping on Black Friday and Police Officer looses his cool, its crazy place

You have free speech , freedom to speak a basement, if you get too popular a scandal or media boycott starts

Someone's been reading too many sensationalist stories.
Reply 10
America is one of the most racist countries you've encountered? Have you been anywhere else outside Western Europe?
Original post by readysteady

Americans generally do have more civil liberties than your average European. There are far less restrictions on free speech than European countries for example
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by elitepower
America is seen as the land of the free as they won their freedom in the war of independance. Every baby born in america could be the president whereas in the rest of the world although most places don't bar us from leadership people are more realistic about the future (not to offend any americans, optimistim is good). The opportunity is all about the american dream, anyone can make it, all that stuff.

The American Dream is dead, almost literally. Of all the developed countries in the West, the US has one of the lowest social mobility.

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wilkinson.html

Should watch the whole video, but that part about social mobility, start watching around 08:00-09:00.
(edited 11 years ago)
Land of the free... market/trade.

In all seriousness though I wouldn't say it is the land of the free.
Reply 14
Yes, for most Americans - that is, if by 'freedom' you mean 'class imprisonment'.
Reply 15
Original post by James10000

Well I am an American and have never had any of these things happen to me. Bad things happen everywhere. Do not pretend that the UK is all happy happy joy joy. Also, Americans do not think they are better than everyone else. We are actually quite fond of brits. :smile:
Reply 16
Freedom is very hard to define in a quantitative sense given that socially and economically the USA and UK are not massively different bar healthcare.

I admire the original beliefs layed out in the deceleration of independence however i certainly do not view the USA as free now and in some ways (religious element and death penalty) i would say that they are extremist and backward.
Reply 17
Original post by maselg2
Well I am an American and have never had any of these things happen to me. Bad things happen everywhere. Do not pretend that the UK is all happy happy joy joy. Also, Americans do not think they are better than everyone else. We are actually quite fond of brits. :smile:

Whilst a lot of lefties in the UK like to moan about America i would say that a large swathe of the UK (mainly on the right) would be quite fitting in the north eastern states.
Land of the shooting spree.
To be honest it's not the best country in the world, their political system is flawed and there is massive corruption and gridlock, but they are one of the freest countries in the world. You may say 'yeah right' to those that claim there is free speech, but there most certainly is free speech and it is not infringed by any laws concerning hate speech or so on, unlike European countries.

Latest

Trending

Trending