The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology -17th January 2013 EXAM PREPARATION

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by s_axo
Hallo, I am completing Beliefs in Society. I have 2 topics left now; science and religion, and typologies. PHEW. Revision is going well. If anyone would like to do some essays together, that would be gooood :smile:

Also, if anyone wants any help, let me know! :smile:

Hi, i am really struggling to revise for this exam i seem to remember nothing and my revision notes are all over the place, i wanted to know if theres anyway you could help me with my revisions please :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by s_axo
Is there a particular topic you are finding difficult?

typology
Reply 22
Original post by ChooChooCherry
hello! im doing mass media instead, its not very hard but when it comes to essays omg! the questions are so vague! i have no idea where to start and what to include!
do u have any essay writing skills? also, do u by any chance have the jan and june 2012 paper and ms for socio unit 3??

yay someone else is doing mass media! no one seems to be doing it. Im quite stuck on the AO2 part of the essay questions :/ are you doing AQA? if so you'll be able to find the jan2012 paper on the website. the jun2012 is not out yet.
Reply 23
Original post by manmandy
Hi, i am really struggling to revise for this exam i seem to remember nothing and my revision notes are all over the place, i wanted to know if theres anyway you could help me with my revisions please :frown:

Original post by manmandy
typology

Hello! Firstly, I find it a lot easier to split my revision in to each topic, and organise my notes in the same way. As for remembering things, that's really down to how you remember things. How about putting posters around your room? Flashcards? I find it incredibly helpful (is actually the only method in which I remember things!!) to record my notes, listen to them, and write them down. Kind of like dictation ..

As for typologies, they are annoying. I would split your revision in to 'old' typologies such as Churches, Sects, Cults and then more modern movements such as NAMs and NRMS.
Reply 24
I've never taught this unit... but i can send u writing frames that will help you to see how to organise your thoughts in terms of writing a discursive response.. The whole essay should be a chain of compare and contrast points so you contrast structural Marxism with hegemonic Marxism with pluralism and so on, or hypodermic syringe model with uses and gratifications and so on. You do not put your own opinion in, ever.
Reply 25
Original post by risteard
I've never taught this unit... but i can send u writing frames that will help you to see how to organise your thoughts in terms of writing a discursive response.. The whole essay should be a chain of compare and contrast points so you contrast structural Marxism with hegemonic Marxism with pluralism and so on, or hypodermic syringe model with uses and gratifications and so on. You do not put your own opinion in, ever.

yes please that would be helpful
Reply 26
Original post by sharon800
So i was wondering how people have found this unit 3!! AQA sociology - beliefs in society

How much revision have you done, and what questions are more likely to come for this exam in january?

Any predictions?

Inbox me ure email and I will send u everything u need to get a high grade.

I dunno why my rep is so low given all the help I give to sociology students...
Reply 27
Hey :smile: am hoping to pick some smart brains..

I found a good doc online to revise from for beliefs in society but going through it there are a couple of words popping up that dont seem to have been mentioned when I learnt the topic at school..i'm sure we covered it but maybe under a different name..

Anyway does anyone know what a pluralist ideology is or Substantiative and exclusivist religion and Functional and inclusivist religion?

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Lizzie23
Hey :smile: am hoping to pick some smart brains..

I found a good doc online to revise from for beliefs in society but going through it there are a couple of words popping up that dont seem to have been mentioned when I learnt the topic at school..i'm sure we covered it but maybe under a different name..

Anyway does anyone know what a pluralist ideology is or Substantiative and exclusivist religion and Functional and inclusivist religion?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Substantive -there must be a god for kt to be a religion exclusive Weber

Functional - god not necessary. Football, Elvis could be a religion. Inclusive durkheim

I teach this...inbox me are email and I will send u stuff that will get u an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by s_axo
Sure; here are some secularisation notes. I can't say I rigidly stick to such format. I do however try to really link my point back to the main essay title at least once in each paragraph.

Hi, your secularisation notes have helped me so much! I literally have not revised at all, but with your notes, I've learnt the secularisation debate within a few hours! It may be a lot to ask, but do you have notes on any other topic that I could use?
Reply 30
I've been really lucky with this exam. I'm in my 3rd year of A Levels now (stupidly messed up my first year). I've completed Georgraphy as an A Level, and a lot of the work I did in that is the same as what we've been doing this year in Sociology (we've been doing the Global Development topic). Quietly looking forward to this exam tbh!
Reply 31
I have just finished doing revision on theories and secularisation. I'm now revising typologies and science as a belief system........ then will look at social variables and fundementalism. My advice to everyone would be to learn as much contemporary examples as possible, especially for theories and secularisation. I really hope typologies doesn't come up for the 33 or the 18 marker...... would love for secularisation or theories to come up as a 33 marker. Also, if anyone could send their notes on typologies and science to me I would appreciate it.
Reply 32
If there was a question on belief systems only, and you write about open belief systems would your counter argument be about closed belief systems?
Reply 33
Original post by DotCom1
Hi, your secularisation notes have helped me so much! I literally have not revised at all, but with your notes, I've learnt the secularisation debate within a few hours! It may be a lot to ask, but do you have notes on any other topic that I could use?

Hey. I'm uber glad I could have been so much help! Sadly i usually do my notes by hand so don't have many! Best of luck x
Reply 34
Original post by s_axo
Hey. I'm uber glad I could have been so much help! Sadly i usually do my notes by hand so don't have many! Best of luck x

That's okay :smile: Thanks anyways. They helped a hell of a alot! I followed your notes and made my own. Just memorising everything now. Do you have an exam too?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 35
How much would you write (say in pages) for the 18 and 33 mark questions? I'm looking at example answers in my revision book and the difference is two small paragraphs :rolleyes: Somehow that doesn't seem quite right...?!
Original post by DotCom1
That's okay :smile: Thanks anyways. They helped a hell of a alot! I followed your notes and made my own. Just memorising everything now. Do you have an exam too?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Could i be sent the notes to if possible ?
Reply 37
Original post by Daisia
How much would you write (say in pages) for the 18 and 33 mark questions? I'm looking at example answers in my revision book and the difference is two small paragraphs :rolleyes: Somehow that doesn't seem quite right...?!

My teacher recommends 2-3 sides A4 for 18 markers, and for the 33 markers approximately 4-5 sides of A4. :smile:
Reply 38
That's too much. I would suggest two sides of quality for 18 marks. Four sides of quality for 33.
Reply 39
Original post by nicole.94
My teacher recommends 2-3 sides A4 for 18 markers, and for the 33 markers approximately 4-5 sides of A4. :smile:

Original post by risteard
That's too much. I would suggest two sides of quality for 18 marks. Four sides of quality for 33.

Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending