The Student Room Group

UVM Kosice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jzhonex
Ok, so I have to wait 2 more years :frown:. I just couldn't wait to enter the course.Is there a requirement for the A-levels results?Like what grade do I need and minimum subjects taken?Btw what year are you in now? are you finishing soon?

No you dont need a specific grade, you just need to have them. Im in final year at the moment, will graduate in June :smile:
Reply 1621
Original post by tigercallie
No you dont need a specific grade, you just need to have them. Im in final year at the moment, will graduate in June :smile:
Wow, that is great.Too bad our age gap are far and we don't get the chance to meet. I'm sure you're happy that you are becoming a legit vet soon. I've still a long way to go,got to get myself prepared for that. Good luck on your career:wink:.
hi I was just wondering aprox what is the cost of living at UVM ??? :smile:
Work on the assumption that you'll need £40-50000 all in. There are more detailed breakdowns multiple times within this thread.
thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1625
Hi, I am on a gap year and I have always wanted to study Vet Medicine, I applied last year but I didn't get any offers and after getting my a-level results I kinda gave up hope because I didn't get an A in Chemistry. So I applied to study a BSc Hons in Vet Nursing, thinking that this might help me and I know that it is a career that I would love. But since then I have realised that I will not be able to fund a second degree in England. So I have considered studying at kosice, I was just wondering whether I can apply with my chemistry grade and also if I applied as a graduate, what the course fees would be? Sorry for the rambling, hope this makes sense!!
Original post by JButton
Hi, I am on a gap year and I have always wanted to study Vet Medicine, I applied last year but I didn't get any offers and after getting my a-level results I kinda gave up hope because I didn't get an A in Chemistry. So I applied to study a BSc Hons in Vet Nursing, thinking that this might help me and I know that it is a career that I would love. But since then I have realised that I will not be able to fund a second degree in England. So I have considered studying at kosice, I was just wondering whether I can apply with my chemistry grade and also if I applied as a graduate, what the course fees would be? Sorry for the rambling, hope this makes sense!!

Yes, you can apply. If you apply for the 6 year course you need to sit an entrance exam in biology and chemistry, it doesnt matter what your school grades are, you just need to pass this entrance exam. Fees are currently €7500/year and tend to go up about €500 every two years (but the fees you start on are the fees you pay every year for the whole of your course). Fees are the same for the 4 year course and 6 year course, for the 4 year course you need a science degree, vet nursing would be fine.
Reply 1627
Original post by tigercallie
Yes, you can apply. If you apply for the 6 year course you need to sit an entrance exam in biology and chemistry, it doesnt matter what your school grades are, you just need to pass this entrance exam. Fees are currently €7500/year and tend to go up about €500 every two years (but the fees you start on are the fees you pay every year for the whole of your course). Fees are the same for the 4 year course and 6 year course, for the 4 year course you need a science degree, vet nursing would be fine.

Thank you so much! :smile:
Hi everyone just want to clarify something, if I do the 4 year course is it definitely the same price as the 6 year course, and will I still get a DVM (Dr.joe bloggs)? I currently have another 2 years left before I graduate, any advice on stuff I should be doing before I apply? Cheers!
Original post by Christophski
Hi everyone just want to clarify something, if I do the 4 year course is it definitely the same price as the 6 year course, and will I still get a DVM (Dr.joe bloggs)? I currently have another 2 years left before I graduate, any advice on stuff I should be doing before I apply? Cheers!

well, same price as in €7500 per year, so;

7500 x 4 = €30000 for the 4 year course
7500 x 6 = €45000 for the 6 year course

And yes, you get the DVM either way. There isnt really anything you need to do before you apply. Get work experience if you like it and its useful, but you dont HAVE to.
Thanks Tigercallie!:biggrin:
and applications are open! :smile:

Tigercallie, I have stalked this thread for ages but cant remember :redface: I was wondering, did you stay in halls for all of your 4 years? & how much of an english-speaking community is there?
Reply 1632
Original post by sarzbabe
and applications are open! :smile:

Finally!! I've been checking just about every day this week :tongue:
Original post by luinecu
Finally!! I've been checking just about every day this week :tongue:

Haha, me too! Whats your story?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1634
Ooh, now I have to decide whether to apply before or after I hear back from the RVC...
Is there likely to be a problem with getting a place if I apply after the end of March? I remember someone mentioned last year they were over subscribed.
Original post by Loosy
Ooh, now I have to decide whether to apply before or after I hear back from the RVC...
Is there likely to be a problem with getting a place if I apply after the end of March? I remember someone mentioned last year they were over subscribed.

This is also my problem. But the way i see it is that its only what, less than £50 to apply? I'm willing to lose that money if it reserves me a place..
Reply 1636
Haha, me too! Whats your story?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A similar story to everyone else's I should think! I'm a zoology grad but had given up on ever being a vet because of insane fees and crazy entrance requirements. So since graduating (2011) I've been mostly underemployed, frequently unemployed and otherwise unpaid when actually doing work in my sector! So in all of this, Kosice is my dream come true, and I honestly still can't quite believe it exits, haha!

How about you? Are you also going for the 4 year course?
Original post by luinecu
A similar story to everyone else's I should think! I'm a zoology grad but had given up on ever being a vet because of insane fees and crazy entrance requirements. So since graduating (2011) I've been mostly underemployed, frequently unemployed and otherwise unpaid when actually doing work in my sector! So in all of this, Kosice is my dream come true, and I honestly still can't quite believe it exits, haha!

How about you? Are you also going for the 4 year course?

Yeh, pretty much the same. Also Graduated in 2011, did Biomed. Spent a year travelling and one working. Yeh, i'll be applying for the 4 year course if Nottingham falls through, which is highly likely. As exciting as a Bristol offer was, its just not feasible cost-wise. I'm also drawn by the prospect of being done in 4 years instead of 5! Have you started applying yet then? It'll be nice to know someone else there! Im so scared of being one of very few english people - although i'm sure its not like that at all.
Reply 1638
Yeh, pretty much the same. Also Graduated in 2011, did Biomed. Spent a year travelling and one working. Yeh, i'll be applying for the 4 year course if Nottingham falls through, which is highly likely. As exciting as a Bristol offer was, its just not feasible cost-wise. I'm also drawn by the prospect of being done in 4 years instead of 5! Have you started applying yet then? It'll be nice to know someone else there! Im so scared of being one of very few english people - although i'm sure its not like that at all.

I didn't even bother with UCAS and UK vet unis this year. Well done getting an offer from Bristol! I called them up a few months ago and was basically told I didn't have a chance in hell because despite having a 2:1 in my first degree, my ACC at A-level meant that I don't meet their requirements. And they don't allow A-level resits either, so that was it for me! Like you I'd be unlikely to be able to afford Bristol, even if I did commute from my parent's place in Cardiff!! :tongue:

I haven't started applying yet, no. I think I've tracked down a doctor to sign the health/fitness part of the form (friend of a friend), so that's one thing done. But I'm not sure how to rework my CV, it's a great CV, but I have no idea what they expect in Slovakia, do CV styles differ over there :confused:

It would be so great to know someone before starting! It is a bit scary thinking about dropping everything to move to Eastern Europe. I've done a bit of working aboard this last year, but only a month or so at a time, so it'd be quite a shock I think! Are you learning any Slovak just in case?
Original post by luinecu
I didn't even bother with UCAS and UK vet unis this year. Well done getting an offer from Bristol! I called them up a few months ago and was basically told I didn't have a chance in hell because despite having a 2:1 in my first degree, my ACC at A-level meant that I don't meet their requirements. And they don't allow A-level resits either, so that was it for me! Like you I'd be unlikely to be able to afford Bristol, even if I did commute from my parent's place in Cardiff!! :tongue:

I haven't started applying yet, no. I think I've tracked down a doctor to sign the health/fitness part of the form (friend of a friend), so that's one thing done. But I'm not sure how to rework my CV, it's a great CV, but I have no idea what they expect in Slovakia, do CV styles differ over there :confused:

It would be so great to know someone before starting! It is a bit scary thinking about dropping everything to move to Eastern Europe. I've done a bit of working aboard this last year, but only a month or so at a time, so it'd be quite a shock I think! Are you learning any Slovak just in case?

Thanks! Thats the reason I want Notts (besides the lower fees) because I could commute from my parents' place! Although I think moving back in with my parents may damage my sanity!

Nice work with the doctor, i think its going to be a case of me having to pay for that :frown: but i'd be saving 50 grand by going to kosice so can't complain! I really dont know about the CV, i'm guessing just work in any animal related work experience you have - its probably more of a formality than anything else (i hope). Also with the school certificate thing - is that high school or uni that they want? Because i'm pretty sure I didn't get a certificate from high school... :confused:

I know! I've done a fair bit of travelling all over, so i'm kind of use to living with a strange language but 8 months was my max. 4 years scares the life out of me! Especially as its such an effort to go home if you want to. But we are big girls now, have to go out and face the world i guess :redface:
I was considering learning the basics but from what i gather from various stalking is that you get slovak lessons as part of the course? Or as an extra-curricular? Not sure, but there are definitely lessons available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending