Original post by posthumus
ln(5+e^2y) - 2y -1 = 0

hmm so what happens now ?

5+e^2y - e^2y- e = 1

4-e=0 :tongue: HELP !!

ThisExcellency just posted the method ^^

Hope you understand it now :smile:
Reply 1861
what do you do if you get a double transforation affecting the same thing?

like this: 2f(x)+3

or f(3x+5)

how do you know which order to do them in??? in the exams so far they have only given one of each, for example:

2f(x-5)
D:
Original post by TPJY

or f(3x+5)

how do you know which order to do them in??? in the exams so far they have only given one of each, for example:

2f(x-5)
D:

SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG...

I believe you always start of with what is affecting x (inside brackets)
Always do translate & then stretching/ reflecting

if its outside bracket...affecting y

then its other way round... do stretching/reflecting & then translate
Reply 1863
Original post by TPJY

or f(3x+5)

2f(x-5)
D:

bodmas
multiply first

so for your example, divide x values by 3 then -5
Reply 1864
Original post by TPJY

or f(3x+5)

2f(x-5)
D:

You use BIDMAS (or whatever you use to remember it (Brackets, Indicies, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction)). So in this case of f(x) = 2f(x)+3, you would multiply the y coordinate by 2 first, the add 3 to the answer from that multiplication.
Reply 1865
Original post by TPJY

or f(3x+5)

2f(x-5)
D:

In your example it doesn't matter which order you do them in because the -5 is shifting the graph to the right 5 units and the 2 in front of the f(x-5) is stretching the graph vertically by 2.

For 2f(x) + 3 you just need to remember your order of operations so you would multiply the co-ordinates first then add the 3 to them.
Hello how on earth have they solved moments there in the mark scheme? (sorry for mechanics) I remember doing this is physics but never understood it
Original post by TPJY
what do you do if you
get a double transforation affecting the same
thing?

or f(3x+5)

how do you know which order to do them in??? in
the exams so far they have only given one of
each, for example:

2f(x-5)

:

Treat f(x) like any number, x.

To get from x to 2x+3 you had to have multiplied first to get 2x and then added 3 to get 2x+3.

Same for brackets. To get to x to 3x+5, you had to multiply by 3 to get 3x and then added five to get 3x+5.

For 2f(x-5) same thing.

You minused 5 from x and then multiplied the whole thing by 2 to get 2(x-5)
what trig equations do we need to know that we won't be given in the exam? I know all AS but i don't memorise cosec and sec equations in relation to sin cos and tan yet
Reply 1869
If the question does not state how many decimal places or significant figures to answer to, what is the best amount to go for? :confused:
Reply 1870
Original post by lanky
If the question does not state how many decimal places or significant figures to answer to, what is the best amount to go for? :confused:

I've never seen a maths exam penalise you for having too many significant figures (unless stated otherwise in the question) however ~3 is usually standard.
Original post by Commenting94
Really sorry I can't rememeber which paper, I done a couple random practice papers and solomons yesterday, It was from one of them.

I don't think its appeared in any of the past papers from 06-12 though. Just a small possibilty it might come up today?

if its a solomon paper then im not too worried hehe
its not in our textbook either :biggrin:
Reply 1872
Original post by lanky

I always give my answers to 3 decimal places and the mark scheme always says they accept a number which rounds to .xyz You may have seen it while you were doing practise exams, it is written in the margin as 'awrt ...'. Say the answer to x = 1.1234567, I would write my answer as x= 1.123 and in the margin of the mark scheme, it will say 'awrt x-1.12'. :smile:
BTW, awrt means 'Anything which rounds to...'
Reply 1873
is 2cosec2A the same as 2/sin2A or 1/2sin2A??
Original post by lanky

I havn't seen a question where you get decimal places in your answer and it hasn't stated in the question how many to.

Well anyway I'd suggest 2 or 3 :smile: no less no more.
Reply 1875

or f(3x+5)

2f(x-5)
D:
Original post by posthumus
SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG...

I believe you always start of with what is affecting x (inside brackets)
Always do translate & then stretching/ reflecting

if its outside bracket...affecting y

then its other way round... do stretching/reflecting & then translate

Original post by Meme4
bodmas
multiply first

so for your example, divide x values by 3 then -5

you two seem to be contradicting each other :s
Reply 1876
Original post by Mesutozil
what trig equations do we need to know that we won't be given in the exam? I know all AS but i don't memorise cosec and sec equations in relation to sin cos and tan yet

sin x / cos x = tan x
sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1
1 / cos x = sec x
1 / sin x = cosec x
1 / tan x = cot x
sin 2x = 2sinxcosx
cos 2x = cos^2 x - sin^2 x = 1 - 2 sin^2 x = 2 cos^2 x - 1
tan 2x = 2tan x / (1 - tan^2 x)
Someone help please! Question C. I get the wrong answer :/
Original post by TPJY

or f(3x+5)

2f(x-5)
D:

you two seem to be contradicting each other :s

For the first one definitely stretch first then traslate

second one is the other way around

2f(x-5)

doesn't matter which way you do it :smile:
Original post by Samira123
No the actual addition formulae?

The proofs of cos(A - B) thing won't come up in the exam. (even though it's just a bit of pythag and working out distances). In the book it says "Although you will not be expected to derive these formulae from first principles, it will help your understanding of them to see how one of them can be derived." :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending