The Student Room Group

At what age does it become awkward to be seen clubbing?

Poll

At what age does it start to become awkward?

OK, there is no arbitrary age, yes. And yes, if you want to go clubbing at 40, then why should a number stop you. True. But, nevertheless, most of us are rightly or wrongly, affected by how we are judged. So at what age would you personally find a bit odd if you saw somebody clubbing in your average nightclub, which tends to be mainly dominated by young people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends how old they look! For me, 30 is a bit odd cos you could potentially have a situation where a 30 year old and an 18 year old are making out. Then again some people may be comfortable with that...
I think it depends on the type of club as well. Some clubs attract a very young crowd & anyone late 20s or older might look a bit out of place. Other places seem to have a wider age range & I don't think age would be so much of an issue.
Reply 3
When it becomes too heavy to carry.
I think it depends on how old you look tbh. Some people in their mid/late twenties look very young, wheras others look really old.

For example:

and:

Same age, but I know who would look more out of place in a club.
Reply 5
Depends what you take 'clubbing' to mean.

Though the answer is obvious, it's only 'awkward' if you're foolish enough to let nonsense cultural norms make you feel awkward
Reply 6
Original post by beansontoast93
I think it depends on how old you look tbh. Some people in their mid/late twenties look very young, wheras others look really old.

For example:

and:

Same age, but I know who would look more out of place in a club.

True, I remember one guy I knew who went clubbing at 35, who looked about 28, and nobody cared. He even went to student parties (he was a mature student).
A few of our maths teachers have been spotted clubbing once or twice. They're mostly early thirties...
Reply 8
As some else noted it depends on the type of establishment they go to. In my city one end of town manly caters for people in their teens to mid twenties where as the other end caters for people in their mid twenties onwards. If I saw anyone over 30 at the side that caters for young people I would be a bit shocked, but down the road I wouldn't bat an eyelid.
Reply 9
Original post by Swanbow
As some else noted it depends on the type of establishment they go to. In my city one end of town manly caters for people in their teens to mid twenties where as the other end caters for people in their mid twenties onwards. If I saw anyone over 30 at the side that caters for young people I would be a bit shocked, but down the road I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I'd agree, if I saw a 30 year old at Blacklight (the most student-filled event I regularly attend) in Newcastle they'd look really out of place because everyone is a student or of student age. My Saturday nights tend to be an event called Voodoo Project which isn't a student night and so the crowd is somewhat older by mean. You still look out of place if you're like 35 but for those aged people, there is Flares! It plays 70s tunes for gods sake, the only reason a student would walk in is for the novel roller disco. In there I can imagine people being 40 even 50 and just fitting into the scene.
Reply 10
Whenever you want I guess, although from personal experience watching your (52 year old) dad throw up in a bush on the way home from a night out is awkward to say the least.
In my opinion; when you're old enough to realise that dancing like a drunken idiot to loud over-played radio music in a sticky sweatbox is not worth £10 entrance fee and £5 to be served a bottle of beer in a plastic bottle because the usual crowd cannot be trusted with glass.

As I'm sure you can guess, clubbing is not my thing. I still go on occasion (against my will) for the sake of other people. I guess it's really down to yourself. When would you feel awkward? I felt like it wasn't for me after a few times of going. I'm 23 and ended going to a club on Monday; I felt like the average age of the crowd was 19.
(edited 11 years ago)
When they confuse your walking stick for a pimp cane.
Reply 13
Original post by Wattsy
You still look out of place if you're like 35 but for those aged people, there is Flares! It plays 70s tunes for gods sake, the only reason a student would walk in is for the novel roller disco. In there I can imagine people being 40 even 50 and just fitting into the scene.

I'm a student and it sounds like heaven, nothing beats golden oldies! Haha :colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by Swanbow
I'm a student and it sounds like heaven, nothing beats golden oldies! Haha :colondollar:

I can abide the 80's but 70's music is generally abysmal.
When the trends that were cool when you were young come back around and become cool again.
I would have said 30 plus before coming to university, but I've met a mate in halls who's like 33, and he can club it like no other, it's not weird at all.
Reply 17
It depends where I am. If I'm at a club near me where its student night and there are people aged 30+ then I'd think they were a little out of place.

But when I go clubbing in London, I actually feel a bit out of place as most of the people are 30+.

I don't really think about it too much if the people there are much older though really. Last time I was clubbing in London there was this guy about 50+ and I was actually quite impressed. He was there alone, wasn't even trying to pick up women. Just dancing like an absolute mad man, doing high kicks and star jumps and all. Respect!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I saw in telly middle age people go clubbing :tongue:
Other: 0+

Quick Reply

Latest