The Student Room Group

Has anyone got anthing yet for uni?

I mean what you need to take such as cutlery, plain books, washing stuff etc for September?

I'm looking at lists now on what to take but we still have a month and a couple of weeks left to get ready. I feel it's too early to get prepared.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Willbean
I mean what you need to take such as cutlery, plain books, washing stuff etc for September?

I'm looking at lists now on what to take but we still have a month and a couple of weeks left to get ready. I feel it's too early to get prepared.

I have made an amazon wishlist of things I need/want but so far I have only bought a notebook and diary.
Now is a good time to start - if you do it now then you can look out for the best deals rather than having to do it all in a panicked rush.

I did it all in about a week, and I'm not sure I'd recommend that, truth be told!
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
Now is a good time to start - if you do it now then you can look out for the best deals rather than having to do it all in a panicked rush.

I did it all in about a week, and I'm not sure I'd recommend that, truth be told!

But it's money I don't have. I still need to pay my car off.
My mum has bought things like cutlery, knives, pans, bedding oh and she brought me a kettle-- so yeah
Reply 5
If you are buying off amazon for uni:

http://www.rnli.org/howtosupportus/otherwaystohelp/Pages/Amazon.aspx

It will help a lot!
I started getting things for Christmas the year before I went, as in 10 months before. I hated it, because I was feeling under a huge amount of pressure to get in at all, yet everyone else was just acting as though it was a given! I did, luckily!
I bought all of mine the day before I moved to uni. Don't do that, it's really stressful and not sensible. However, big :yy: to wilkinsons for basically having everything you need lol. Delivery from amazon to my uni address and then I was all done.

Don't do what I did, start buying little bits and pieces before you go, and start making a list when you think of things you need.
(edited 10 years ago)
My Mum is really worried about me going and to try and take her mind off the worry she has created loads of lists of everything I need :tongue: So far we've checked off the kitchen list and bathroom list..
I've also got myself a few posters and stuff for my room, and a new laptop :h: still got loads to go though.
Reply 9
Waiting for results day
I just went to The Range a few days before and my Mum and Dad bought me everything. There is no rush, the only thing I struggled to get was shot glasses but I managed to get hold of four.
Reply 11
Original post by hattiemcbinky
I have made an amazon wishlist of things I need/want but so far I have only bought a notebook and diary.

I've ordered a sling bag, and that's it :colondollar:

I've got all my uni book jot pads in my car ready.
I unfortunately can't buy things I need until I get my student finance or student account overdraft because I just don't have any spare money or people that can help :frown:
Reply 13
I'm not because firstly I don't have the money and second I'm not 100% sure that I've got into uni so don't want to buy stuff to have no use for it!
Original post by SophieSmall
I unfortunately can't buy things I need until I get my student finance or student account overdraft because I just don't have any spare money or people that can help :frown:

Bear in mind that student finance won't come through until a few days after you arrive, so if you can borrow some basics (bedding, a saucepan, cutlery, mug and a plate) and then return it in reading week it will help a lot.

Ask your bank when your overdraft will become available - this varies bank by bank

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Bear in mind that student finance won't come through until a few days after you arrive, so if you can borrow some basics (bedding, a saucepan, cutlery, mug and a plate) and then return it in reading week it will help a lot.

Ask your bank when your overdraft will become available - this varies bank by bank

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am pretty worried :frown: I'm just hoping I can get my overdraft by the beginning of September, I'm still waiting to apply for a student account though because I need my uni placement confirmation letter from UCAS before I can apply.
Reply 16
Not until August 15th
For those reluctant to buy stuff because they're worried they won't get into university, I expressed the same concern to my mum last year and she said I'm going to move out eventually anyway so it can be kept until then.
Original post by SophieSmall
Yeah I am pretty worried :frown: I'm just hoping I can get my overdraft by the beginning of September, I'm still waiting to apply for a student account though because I need my uni placement confirmation letter from UCAS before I can apply.

If you scavenge a bit I think you'll be fine. Take the bedding from your own bed, and charity shops usually have pans and crockery if you really can't borrow some from friends / family

Posted from TSR Mobile
No :/

its still a long time TBH.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending