The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 A-Levels?

I want to do:
Physics, Biology, Maths and Chemistry

With also Geography because I really enjoy it but im not sure whether that will be the same at A-levels.

Please help, I can choose if I want to geography or not on the enrolment day.

Thanks in advance:tsr:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by passionate27
I want to do:

With also Geography because I really enjoy it but im not sure whether that will be the same at A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much do you like geography? If you like memorising a lot of useless facts and making up BS case studies on the day of the exam, then choose geography. If not, stick to 4 AS levels :wink:

Coming from an AS geography taker.
Reply 2
Original post by Felix Felicis
How much do you like geography? If you like memorising a lot of useless facts and making up BS case studies on the day of the exam, then choose geography. If not, stick to 4 AS levels :wink:

Coming from an AS geography taker.

I actually don't mind that but do you think I'll be able to do it with all the rest of the AS levels. I won't have any free time.

Did you enjoy it?
'
BTW thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stick to 4 AS and see how you get on.
:smile: You have to strike an even balance between taking subjects you like (however many you like) and being able to do your very best in the subjects you end up taking. The worst case scenario is taking on too much and performing poorly in all.
I've just done Geography AS and I loved it, but I think 5 AS subjects is probably more hassle than it's worth.
Reply 6
Original post by James A
Stick to 4 AS and see how you get on.

But I won't have the option do allow me to do that :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Cephalosporin
:smile: You have to strike an even balance between taking subjects you like (however many you like) and being able to do your very best in the subjects you end up taking. The worst case scenario is taking on too much and performing poorly in all.

Yah, I understand. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by wifiprincess
I've just done Geography AS and I loved it, but I think 5 AS subjects is probably more hassle than it's worth.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I want to do:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure that there is any course out there that requires you to do 5a levels! Even though you may like the subjects universities would rather you do great in 3 a levels than do ok in 5 a levels. Why would you put yourself under extra pressure when there is no need?
I actually don't mind that but do you think I'll be able to do it with all the rest of the AS levels. I won't have any free time.

Did you enjoy it?
'
BTW thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course I think you'll be able to handle it but I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle. If you're just taking it because you enjoy it, then no need to put yourself through another exam, you can read up about it in your free time for interest (yeah right :L). If you're doing it because you think it'll help your UCAS application then you'd just be better off sticking with 4 :L

Ehh, some of the parts of physical geography were kind of interesting but overall it was just really boring and I had no motivation to do any work for it other than pass the exam.

But I won't have the option do allow me to do that :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OH, are you doing it because you have to? That's why I did it too, my school makes everyone do 4 AS levels and further maths didn't count as one option so I had to effectively do 5. If you have to do 5 then just pick another subject you think you'll enjoy - if it's geography, so be it.
Reply 11
Original post by medicine12
I'm not sure that there is any course out there that requires you to do 5a levels! Even though you may like the subjects universities would rather you do great in 3 a levels than do ok in 5 a levels. Why would you put yourself under extra pressure when there is no need?

Um, thats a good point. But I'm considering to do medicine or geology in the future so geography can be a great help. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did all that except Geo. I dropped Chemistry because I was getting all confused. However all the sciences link really well together and maths is helpful for physics. Unless you got a passion for geography I wouldn't do it. During exam season you'll be in a bit of trouble getting many exams on one day if you do.

Be aware you're facing that risk and take a plunge or not :smile:

edit: Maybe you should drop the physics? since physics isnt really needed for what you want. [i assume]
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
No. I did 5 AS and it was very tough. Your subjects are also very intense; I'm sure if you did well enough in three or four to merit considering taking another one then most universities would give you an offer anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by Felix Felicis
Of course I think you'll be able to handle it but I'm just wondering if it's worth the hassle. If you're just taking it because you enjoy it, then no need to put yourself through another exam, you can read up about it in your free time for interest (yeah right :L). If you're doing it because you think it'll help your UCAS application then you'd just be better off sticking with 4 :L

Ehh, some of the parts of physical geography were kind of interesting but overall it was just really boring and I had no motivation to do any work for it other than pass the exam.

OH, are you doing it because you have to? That's why I did it too, my school makes everyone do 4 AS levels and further maths didn't count as one option so I had to effectively do 5. If you have to do 5 then just pick another subject you think you'll enjoy - if it's geography, so be it.

Ya I guess, I don't have to barely anyone will. Its an option, but then if I can't cope with 5 AS levels in November or December I could drop it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I did 5 (albeit all maths/science subjects), alongside an EPQ, AEA and STEP... it's manageable for sure, but come exam season, you will probably have to start revising a lot earlier than others. Surely you would self-study at least one of them -- if so, which?

Remember that enjoying a subject and studying it at A-level are not necessarily the same thing. What's stopping you from reading about geography in your spare time - do you need to take an A-level in it? Because it can quickly become an unwanted distraction for your other studies/exams.
I want to do:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I do all (including Geography) except for Physics. I think the work load would be a lot, especially if you want 5 As. Even with the four AS levels, it was a lot to deal with. Although, I contradict myself : It was only hard work in my school because we got loads of prep (H/W) and I left almost everything last minute - including revision. Geography is literally the longest to revise for. Biology has a big workload because you need to know everything really well. Chemistry, and Maths are similar and you should be fine. I would just suggest if you are thinking about 5, you should look at each of the specifications to get a feel of the workload.

After you get results, make a decision - if you choose 5, ensure that you enter your AS year with a set plan on how you will do it. Be really organised, get all equipment, do homework as soon as it is set, and you should be fine! Feel free to ask us on TSR if you need help, or better yet as your teachers! Keep on top of your work and stay determined! You should do really well!

Make sure you fit in time to relax, have fun, try new hobbies, or develop your interests!!

Best of luck w/ decision!
Um, thats a good point. But I'm considering to do medicine or geology in the future so geography can be a great help. No?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, maths and sciences will suffice for geology and honestly, the amount of physical geography you learn could easily be learned over a few days :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im doing medicine and I did 3 a levels (chemistry, biology and maths) and physics to as level and got all my offers. Universities would rather you got 3 a stars than doing 5 and not getting the grades. If you wanted to do geology then you could do geography and then choose between physics and maths.
Lol why would anyone do a 5th A-level with those 4 subjects, I don't care how smart you are, you're going to struggle if you do those 5 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest