The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm doing Btec medical science, a level statistics and a level biology
Worth 5 a levels too

I'm not sure if your college/sixth form does world development, I heard it's more interesting than geography. You might wanna look into that also

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
I took 5 AS Levels. I guess we'll find out how that went haha. Personally, I thought it went alright, though.
My friend took 6 AS-levels at the start of last year (1 of them is compulsory - general studies), he ended up dropping a subject after 2 weeks because he couldn't cope and he's one of the smartest guys I know. However if you think you can cope then go for it - it's your choice. Though I'd think about it like this, AAAB is much better than ABBBB.
Also, the subjects you've chosen are very tough (I assume you're wanting to do something like medicine) so do you really think that adding extra pressure on yourself will help your case? Probably not (no offense, although if you do end up getting all As then you could add that you are good with being put under pressure on your personal statement).
If you really want to take geography then maybe take it for the first week or so to see what it's like and drop one of your sciences - maybe physics? After all you only really need 2 or 3 sciences :smile:
Original post by passionate27
Ya I guess, I don't have to barely anyone will. Its an option, but then if I can't cope with 5 AS levels in November or December I could drop it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend did those subjects until about march or april then the school made her drop one, so she dropped geog. However, by this stage she'd done all te work for it and it was looking to be her best result, so she was really upset and regretting she didn't force then to let her finish it. Equally, by this point he was also getting incredibly stressed and had no free time, so it was probably good in a lot of ways.

Basically, my point is if you think you can handle it then try by all means but if you're finding one particular subject or them as a whole difficult then drop one before it gets too late and starts to have a knock on effect on your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally I started off doing 5 A-levels and by the end of two months I gave up on one of them. I think it is a LOT of work doing any five subjects, and although I did humanities I can imagine science based subjects would be even more work.
I think if you really want to do 5 A-levels you have to extremely motivated and dedicated, but also, if you want to get decent grades, extremely smart.
You could always start with five and drop to four, as I did?
Reply 25
Original post by furryface12
My friend did those subjects until about march or april then the school made her drop one, so she dropped geog. However, by this stage she'd done all te work for it and it was looking to be her best result, so she was really upset and regretting she didn't force then to let her finish it. Equally, by this point he was also getting incredibly stressed and had no free time, so it was probably good in a lot of ways.

Basically, my point is if you think you can handle it then try by all means but if you're finding one particular subject or them as a whole difficult then drop one before it gets too late and starts to have a knock on effect on your other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot I'll keep that in mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Ninjasrule
My friend took 6 AS-levels at the start of last year (1 of them is compulsory - general studies), he ended up dropping a subject after 2 weeks because he couldn't cope and he's one of the smartest guys I know. However if you think you can cope then go for it - it's your choice. Though I'd think about it like this, AAAB is much better than ABBBB.
Also, the subjects you've chosen are very tough (I assume you're wanting to do something like medicine) so do you really think that adding extra pressure on yourself will help your case? Probably not (no offense, although if you do end up getting all As then you could add that you are good with being put under pressure on your personal statement).
If you really want to take geography then maybe take it for the first week or so to see what it's like and drop one of your sciences - maybe physics? After all you only really need 2 or 3 sciences :smile:

Thanks for your help, I understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by feyy
I took 5 AS Levels. I guess we'll find out how that went haha. Personally, I thought it went alright, though.

Were they similar to mine? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by CurtisDean
Hey I do all (including Geography) except for Physics. I think the work load would be a lot, especially if you want 5 As. Even with the four AS levels, it was a lot to deal with. Although, I contradict myself : It was only hard work in my school because we got loads of prep (H/W) and I left almost everything last minute - including revision. Geography is literally the longest to revise for. Biology has a big workload because you need to know everything really well. Chemistry, and Maths are similar and you should be fine. I would just suggest if you are thinking about 5, you should look at each of the specifications to get a feel of the workload.

After you get results, make a decision - if you choose 5, ensure that you enter your AS year with a set plan on how you will do it. Be really organised, get all equipment, do homework as soon as it is set, and you should be fine! Feel free to ask us on TSR if you need help, or better yet as your teachers! Keep on top of your work and stay determined! You should do really well!

Make sure you fit in time to relax, have fun, try new hobbies, or develop your interests!!

Best of luck w/ decision!

Very helpful, thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by octoberbaby
Personally I started off doing 5 A-levels and by the end of two months I gave up on one of them. I think it is a LOT of work doing any five subjects, and although I did humanities I can imagine science based subjects would be even more work.
I think if you really want to do 5 A-levels you have to extremely motivated and dedicated, but also, if you want to get decent grades, extremely smart.
You could always start with five and drop to four, as I did?

I guess so, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Just chemistry, biology and maths will break your back. Lol
Original post by Sly1
Just chemistry, biology and maths will break your back. Lol

You have no way of knowing that, you don't know how intelligent OP is or how she handles her workload :wink: I effectively did 4 AS and 1A2 this year and my spine remains unbroken :wink:
Reply 32
Original post by Felix Felicis
You have no way of knowing that, you don't know how intelligent OP is or how she handles her workload :wink: I effectively did 4 AS and 1A2 this year and my spine remains unbroken :wink:

Haha thanks for the support, glad yours is unbroken :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Felix Felicis

You can be as smart as you like but if you don't know how to study (techniques) you will fail. I think if she does 4AS it will be enough. I would drop physics.
I guess so, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck to you! :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by octoberbaby
Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thank youuu!
Same to you with your studies :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Sly1
You can be as smart as you like but if you don't know how to study (techniques) you will fail. I think if she does 4AS it will be enough. I would drop physics.

I want to do physics at least till AS, maybe you can help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your help, I understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, I'm not completely discouraging it - after all, I'll be doing 5 subjects next year excluding general studies so we're in the same boat. I was just trying to let you know how stressful and it difficult it could possibly be.
Most of my subjects are similar to your choices too - biology, chemistry and physics, I'm considering maths or geology and then my final subject is Spanish :biggrin:
Haha, which exam boards are your sciences in btw?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
I want to do physics at least till AS, maybe you can help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the subject requirements for the course you want to do in your desired university.
No.

Quick Reply

Latest