The Student Room Group

What A levels are needed to be a nurse

Please help, my daughter would like to study nursing at university, but is unsure what A levels she will need. She was hoping to take A level biology at her favoured college but unfortunately she needed an A or B at G.C.S.E level & only came out with a C in triple science. The collage have advised my daughter to take double health & social care, sociology & english & have advised that this will be ok for my daughter to get into university.I have looked on so many university web sites and some say a social science is accepted & others not. I am getting really confused but would like my daughter to get the right advice as it is her future at stake. She can go to a different collage & do A level biology as G.C.S.E grades didnt need to be so high, but she was unhappy when she went there for a trial day. If anyone has any advice & help I would be very grateful at this stressful time thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Lorraine2
Please help, my daughter would like to study nursing at university, but is unsure what A levels she will need. She was hoping to take A level biology at her favoured college but unfortunately she needed an A or B at G.C.S.E level & only came out with a C in triple science. The collage have advised my daughter to take double health & social care, sociology & english & have advised that this will be ok for my daughter to get into university.I have looked on so many university web sites and some say a social science is accepted & others not. I am getting really confused but would like my daughter to get the right advice as it is her future at stake. She can go to a different collage & do A level biology as G.C.S.E grades didnt need to be so high, but she was unhappy when she went there for a trial day. If anyone has any advice & help I would be very grateful at this stressful time thank you

What about psychology? I did psychology to get in to midwifery, and whilst some uni's did require biology a level, others were fine with Psychology or sociology!

Your best bet is to ring a few universities that she may be interested in and speak to an actual person (for example an admissions officer) and find out what their entry requirements are, and if they will accept what the college have suggested!

Good luck!
It will be fine for most unis but not others. There are a few that specify biology, but they may have higher entry requirements anyway (BBB) and/or want GCSE science at grade B, which she doesn't have of course. Here in the north-west, for example, Liverpool ask for BBB including biology, and also want GCSE science grade B. Manchester want BBC and want a science, but are fine with health and social care as the science subject. But Liverpool John Moores want 280 points, with no subjects specified, as do UCLan (BCC or equivalent). If she were to do biology she might struggle to do really well in it from only having C at GCSE - especially if she goes to a college she doesn't like! It would be a real shame for her to do biology and do poorly at it, when she could really enjoy and excel at a different subject. As the post above says, it may put her mind at rest to check directly with the unis she is interested in. Also, don't forget that GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent) are also mandatory at C or above - I assume she has these in the bag (though my sister got into nurse training years ago without Maths O level, as it wasn't required then - and is still a fantastic nurse 30 years later!).
Reply 3
Original post by pepperthecat
It will be fine for most unis but not others. There are a few that specify biology, but they may have higher entry requirements anyway (BBB) and/or want GCSE science at grade B, which she doesn't have of course. Here in the north-west, for example, Liverpool ask for BBB including biology, and also want GCSE science grade B. Manchester want BBC and want a science, but are fine with health and social care as the science subject. But Liverpool John Moores want 280 points, with no subjects specified, as do UCLan (BCC or equivalent). If she were to do biology she might struggle to do really well in it from only having C at GCSE - especially if she goes to a college she doesn't like! It would be a real shame for her to do biology and do poorly at it, when she could really enjoy and excel at a different subject. As the post above says, it may put her mind at rest to check directly with the unis she is interested in. Also, don't forget that GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent) are also mandatory at C or above - I assume she has these in the bag (though my sister got into nurse training years ago without Maths O level, as it wasn't required then - and is still a fantastic nurse 30 years later!).
thank you very much for replying,it has been a worrying time. I have manage to talk to a very nice lady at Southampton university, and she advised us on the subjects she should take, which she had already chosen, which was a relief. My daughter also had to have gcse grade c or above in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and English, which she has got c's & b's. now all my daughter has to do is work hard to get 3 b's at A level
Reply 4
Original post by Lorraine2
thank you very much for replying,it has been a worrying time. I have manage to talk to a very nice lady at Southampton university, and she advised us on the subjects she should take, which she had already chosen, which was a relief. My daughter also had to have gcse grade c or above in biology, chemistry, physics, maths and English, which she has got c's & b's. now all my daughter has to do is work hard to get 3 b's at A level

I got offers from two Russell Group unis without A level biology so it can be done! Good luck to your daughter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending