The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by becky964
I know my friend did a few days work experience in theatres but she managed to get I through speaking to 2 of the consultants she knew. She also managed to do a weeks work experience programme aimed at prospective medical students which covered several areas including theatres.
With regards to placement being far away I said I was in the process of starting to learn to drive (slight lie) but was hoping for a local placement as I put the two closest down as my first choice. You do have to be able to travel to any of the placements they give you which can be hard if you have to commute and get up really early. It's worth it though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are so helpful! :biggrin:

Time wise, how long was your interview for the uni you're studying at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
It was really short I was quite surprised, only took about 15 minutes :smile: where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
It was really short I was quite surprised, only took about 15 minutes :smile: where are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's quite surprising but I'm slightly relieved, hour long interviews end up making me want to cry lol

BCU, Coventry and Sheffield extremely doubt I'll get into Sheffield unless I arrange some kind of work experience which is already difficult to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anglia Ruskin are doing taster days for odp http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/faculties/fhsce/news-events/taster_days/ODP_taster_days.html does anybody know of any other places doing taster days? I live in Birmingham so getting to Essex for 9am is going to difficult
Reply 24
Hello lovelies,

I'm hoping to do ODP in September 2014. I'm going to apply to Leicester and SHU. Already had interviews for Leicester a few months ago but didn't make it through. Probably as I'm still doing my access course (through correspondence which is proving difficult) plus I've got a little baby and a toddler. I'm glad I had the interviews as they were a good experience. Got an informal visit at Notts City Hospital in September x
Reply 25
Has anyone managed to organise a theatre visit? i seem to be getting nowhere!
Reply 26
Which hospital are you trying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Jenhan

I'm having a mare with this too. I have my whole UCAS written and I'm happy with it but there is a theatre visit shaped hole right in the middle of it :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by Jenhan

Hi there,

I have managed a theatre visit, I had a meeting with the theatre manager and a tour of theatres.....this was absolutely great and has made me more determined than ever. The manager said they understand the importance of potential students needing to attend for a visit.

Have you tried ringing a theatre manager and asking them for a chat? Or any advice on how to go about trying to arrange a visit. I attended Doncaster royal infirmary!

hope you manage to organise something soon x
Reply 29
I've arranged a Theatre visit at Nottingham City Hosital, they were fantastic and I got through straight away .... Not sure where you're based though. I also work pt in a day case Podiatric surgery theatre
Reply 30
Im in newcastle, ive ran out of hospitals to ask lol ive just been emailing, but now ive managed to get some names so will be able to ask for people direct... fingers crossed!
Reply 31
Fingers crossed for you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by Jenhan
Im in newcastle, ive ran out of hospitals to ask lol ive just been emailing, but now ive managed to get some names so will be able to ask for people direct... fingers crossed!

good luck.......if you ring the hospital switchboard and ask for the name an number for the theatre manager......ask if you can go in for a chat, the gentlemen who seen me was in charge of all the student ODP's and he said that all hospitals are aware that potential students need some kind of visit to make their personal statement stronger.

fingers crossed for you x
Reply 33
I'm applying for ODP and I'm scared that my experience would not be enough? I can't get experience in hospitals so I'm volunteering in care homes? Do you think experience (not relating to ODP) would affect the decisions?.
Reply 34
Tutors at the universities know its not always easy to get experience within theatres so any work experience in a care environment is fine, and it is possible to get into the programme without experience, I didn't have any!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Lt93
I'm applying for ODP and I'm scared that my experience would not be enough? I can't get experience in hospitals so I'm volunteering in care homes? Do you think experience (not relating to ODP) would affect the decisions?.

the course leader at northumbria told me voluntary work isnt necessary and i asked what if 1 applicant has done voluntary in a hospital and the other hasnt and he said it wouldnt be a deal breaker for him. i think they are just wanting you to show in your personal statement that ODP is what you really want to do (dont put you are interested in nursing etc.) and show you know about ODP's and exactly what they do.

i think he was advising us to try and arrange a theatre visit more to benefit ourselves, to see what we are getting ourselves in to! :s-smilie:
Reply 36
Oh, thanks a lot for the reply!. Hopefully my personal statement is good enough ><. Are you guys studying ODP? or applying for 2014 one? If you guys are ODP students, can you tell me what the interviews are like? is it a group one? one-to-one?
Reply 37
Original post by Lt93
Oh, thanks a lot for the reply!. Hopefully my personal statement is good enough ><. Are you guys studying ODP? or applying for 2014 one? If you guys are ODP students, can you tell me what the interviews are like? is it a group one? one-to-one?

I'm an odp student just going into second year. I had interviews at Surrey and Plymouth, they were both quite different. Had a maths and English test for both, as long as you can do basic gcse maths you'll be fine. They ask you a bit about what you've written in your personal statement, why you want to be an Odp, what you understand about the course. I also had a group interview at Plymouth, we were given an article to read before the day and had to discuss it for half an hour in a small group.
I would make sure you really look into the course, try an find out as much as you can, look at the modules you'll be studying, they like you to be able to demonstrate an understanding of what you're getting yourself into :smile:
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I'm an odp student just going into second year. I had interviews at Surrey and Plymouth, they were both quite different. Had a maths and English test for both, as long as you can do basic gcse maths you'll be fine. They ask you a bit about what you've written in your personal statement, why you want to be an Odp, what you understand about the course. I also had a group interview at Plymouth, we were given an article to read before the day and had to discuss it for half an hour in a small group.
I would make sure you really look into the course, try an find out as much as you can, look at the modules you'll be studying, they like you to be able to demonstrate an understanding of what you're getting yourself into :smile:
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Becky,

What 3 bits of advice would you give to new students on their first day of placement?

Tina
Original post by Maryam26
I've tried applying at care homes but the majority look for academic qualifications or prior experience in a professional setting which I don't have. I would be willing to train but it just doesn't seem to be a possibility :frown:

I'm applying to BCU, Coventry and Sheffield. Even though I live in Sheffield, the entry requirements are much higher than other unis so it would be a case of moving!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heeeey! I'm applying for Coventry, BCU and Cardiff! Have you put in your personal statement yet?!

I'm so excited! I'm in the middle of organising work experience, and as my best friends dad is an ODP, he's organising for me to shadow him.

The only advice i can give right now is do your best getting volunteer work in a healthcare setting. It's something to talk about during an interview, show your enthusiasm too!

If you really want to be a geek, there's this textbook i've bought called The Fundamentals of Operating Department Practice. It's quite expensive, but it basically covers everything the course can give us. ITS ALSO AWESOME TO TALK ABOUT TO AN INTERVIEWER! I think, i haven't even had an interview yet...

sorry for the rambling, im just really excited and hope to meet some of you soon!

Latest