The Student Room Group

I Can't decide which A level to drop

I am currently taking 5 A levels: Math, Further Math, Physics, Chemistry and Art. I have been told that it would be better to drop one and concentrate on the remaining four in order to achieve good grades. However I cannot decide which one to drop because I am not certain about my future career.

If I am going to drop one it probably would be either Art or Chemistry.

Art has been more time consuming and I do not particularly enjoy large amounts of writing we have to do and it could be difficult to think of the concepts behind the artwork but I like doing the creative stuff and everyone had been saying that I should take art. Also it shows that I have a broader ability to do a subject which requires different skills to maths and science and will open up more career choices (I think I might want to be an Architect or Interior/ Landscape Designer) whereas taking Chemistry would mean that I can only do science related job in the future.

So far Chemistry has been quite easy and far less time consuming than Art. It would be good as a complementary subject if I'm going to do a degree in Engineering, Science or Physics (which people say is not worth it but I like physics).

I am finding it very difficult to decide :frown: Should I just keep all five subjects? But then I would not have enough time to do things like EPQ or Gold Crest Award which could help with University Applications. Has anyone done similar combination?

Help would be very much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Drop art. Art has a hiigh work load and chemistry will always look better than art on your application for something like engineering.
Is this AS or A2? It's definitely possible, and not rare if uncommon, to do 5 AS-Levels.
AS but art takes up too much time
Original post by Mcwtbslhyfsehmjg
AS but art takes up too much time

I'd look into how desirable Art is for architecture/landscape design. While Chemistry is a good aide to an engineering/physics degree (and physics is not a pointless degree, the people who said that were fools), it is not a strict requirement. If Art is more beneficial to architecture, then it might be worth taking.

If not, choose the one you prefer.
Original post by Nitrogen
Drop art. Art has a hiigh work load and chemistry will always look better than art on your application for something like engineering.

Yes, but I might do an architecture degree and I don't want to discard that option by dropping art. I
Reply 6
I haven't read your whole introduction paragraphs however from a quick glance i'd recommend you to drop Art, that's if you believe you'll get good grades in the other four. All four of your subjects are highly regarded by unis so it wouldn't hurt to drop one and continue with Art if you thoroughly enjoy it and believe you'll get a good grade. However, if you want to be more of a desirable candidate ( although most unis don't ask for 4 usually 3 ) then having 4 strong subjects will definitely help you win your place at your desired uni!

gl
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History and Art at AS-level, and I found the workload manageable.

It's not really that uncommon to do 5 at AS.
Original post by PythianLegume
I'd look into how desirable Art is for architecture/landscape design. While Chemistry is a good aide to an engineering/physics degree (and physics is not a pointless degree, the people who said that were fools), it is not a strict requirement. If Art is more beneficial to architecture, then it might be worth taking.

If not, choose the one you prefer.

I'm really not sure, I like both but there are disadvantages as well.
I think most Universities require art for an architecture degree and the competition is high.
I'm really not sure, I like both but there are disadvantages as well.
I think most Universities require art for an architecture degree and the competition is high.

I'm applying for architecture this year.

I believe only UCL 'require' Art, however it is 'highly desirable' at every other university. Most will request a portfolio from you if you haven't done an A level in either Art or Design Technology.

Check out the Architecture Applicants 2014 thread, but I think everyone on there as done either Art or DT.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CoffeeAndCake
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, History and Art at AS-level, and I found the workload manageable.

It's not really that uncommon to do 5 at AS.

I suppose history requires even more work than Chem. How many did you take for A2?
Reply 11
Yes, but I might do an architecture degree and I don't want to discard that option by dropping art. I

Okay. Im sure that many universities do not require A-Level art for an architecture degree, but they will require to see a portfolio of your artwork. I you often draw in your spare time then I dont think it will be a problem dropping art. Try looking at universities offering architecture for more detail though.
Reply 12
I would say drop Maths because you are doing Further Maths, that's just too much maths and might be seen by others as the same thing.
Reply 13
well unless you are doing architecture drop art. drop your worst subjects
I am currently taking 5 A levels: Math, Further Math, Physics, Chemistry and Art. I have been told that it would be better to drop one and concentrate on the remaining four in order to achieve good grades. However I cannot decide which one to drop because I am not certain about my future career.

If I am going to drop one it probably would be either Art or Chemistry.

Art has been more time consuming and I do not particularly enjoy large amounts of writing we have to do and it could be difficult to think of the concepts behind the artwork but I like doing the creative stuff and everyone had been saying that I should take art. Also it shows that I have a broader ability to do a subject which requires different skills to maths and science and will open up more career choices (I think I might want to be an Architect or Interior/ Landscape Designer) whereas taking Chemistry would mean that I can only do science related job in the future.

So far Chemistry has been quite easy and far less time consuming than Art. It would be good as a complementary subject if I'm going to do a degree in Engineering, Science or Physics (which people say is not worth it but I like physics).

I am finding it very difficult to decide :frown: Should I just keep all five subjects? But then I would not have enough time to do things like EPQ or Gold Crest Award which could help with University Applications. Has anyone done similar combination?

Help would be very much appreciated :smile:

I think Chemistry. It gets harder as you go on, trust me.
I suppose history requires even more work than Chem. How many did you take for A2?

I got AAAAA at AS, and then dropped History. It was my worst subject at AS, albeit not significantly. I carried on with the other 4.
Original post by isteven
I would say drop Maths because you are doing Further Maths, that's just too much maths and might be seen by others as the same thing.

You can't do FM without Maths, as far as I know...
Original post by isteven

I would but at my school we can only take Further Math if we are taking normal math
I'd say keep all 5, if you think you can handle it. Gold Crest and EPQ are beneficial if you do them, you'll be fine without them though.
Original post by Nitrogen
Okay. Im sure that many universities do not require A-Level art for an architecture degree, but they will require to see a portfolio of your artwork. I you often draw in your spare time then I dont think it will be a problem dropping art. Try looking at universities offering architecture for more detail though.

I would like to but the competition for good unis is too high and I think they will prioritise people who took art

Quick Reply

Latest