The Student Room Group

Should doctors/nurses wear a full veil?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmmpie
I wouldn't be deprived of eye contact, facial expression, or body language by a doctor wearing glasses.

I don't care if you believe this is not a problem for you, it would be for me. Frankly it comes back to an utter lack of empathy as I already said, your belief that this is a non-issue is naive at best.

There's a limit to how much empathy people should get. It's one thing to speak words of kindness and offer advice and help to someone who's just received bad news. It's another to give them the authority to decide what you wear, based on what makes them feel best emotionally.

"I've just received bad news, so now you have to obey every command I give you about your personal decisions, because it will make me feel better emotionally. If you refuse then you lack empathy." - seems a bit extreme.

Besides don't you think someone must be lacking in empathy if they're going to force veil-wearing women to uncover their faces or risk losing their jobs, when to them, it's not decorum to show your face freely in public to anyone who asks to see it (the equivalent of going up to a western woman and demanding that she shows you her cleavage)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Neither does a veil :s-smilie:

Spoiler

In reality,you probably are just another file to them - particularly when you're seeing a doctor who has broken the same bad news to hundreds of different people. If they formed an emotional relationship with every patient they treated, they'd be in a constant state of depression after watching them all get illnesses and pass away. While they might present a certain persona, after many years of doing the job they tend to (or rather have to) become emotionally detached.

True, but glasses only cover eyes and don't prevent eye contact was what I was going for.

While true in some cases, then when you have a long term condition, you get to know the doctors treating you, and the doctors know you. I am not saying you go down the pub with them or anything, but you are more than a number or file as far I have seen; both in my own case and in the case of various people who I know who also have long term conditions. Even if what you said is true, it is nice to be presented with the image of them thinking of you as more than a file at least.
(edited 10 years ago)
The medical profession has a dress code to which we must all adhere by, and sorry, niqaabs aren't part of the dress code.

As people have mentioned, most communication is non-verbal between a doctor and the patient. Like, smiling. Such a simple thing but it can really make a difference!

Also, regarding the actual purpose of wearing a niqaab - if your patient is talking about a problem with his bowels, chances are he's not going to try and check you out. So na-mahram or not, there is not real need for the niqaab as a hospital/clinic/GP surgery is a completely different context from normal. Wear it outside if you must but no one is going to chat you up whilst you're giving someone a PR examination.
Original post by Ksargent
I fully agree, it complicates the relationship a doctor has with their patient especially at face value. Yet would this deter would be excellent doctors who wear a veil?

Was this a deliberate pun...?
Reply 64
Original post by de_monies
Not in every day life no. As a surgeon, quite possibly so

Once again, even as a surgeon, the veil is not a health risk. Here are surgeons;

That's basically the niqaab with a few modifications, but not much difference.
Reply 65
They should wear their medical uniform. ie. scrubs for hygiene reasons
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rmhumphries
True, but glasses only cover eyes and don't prevent eye contact was what I was going for.

I know - but the point I'm making is this: It might be true that you don't want to hear that you have cancer from someone who isn't showing you their facial expressions. But that isn't sufficient reason to force them to show you their facial expressions - because you wouldn't want to hear that you have cancer from anybody, under any circumstances really.

When you say "I wouldn't want to find out I have cancer from someone who [insert some criterion here]", it's the part of the sentence that I've highlighted in bold which is operative.

While true in some cases, then when you have a long term condition, you get to know the doctors treating you, and the doctors know you. I am not saying you go down the pub with them or anything, but you are more than a number or file as far I have seen; both in my own case and in the case of various people who I know who also have long term conditions. Even if what you said is true, it is nice to be presented with the image of them thinking of you as more than a file at least.

I agree - but if the patient is such that, they feel that anyone wearing a veil for religious reasons doesn't care about them at all and thinks of them as a file, while this is not the case for people who don't wear a veil, I would say that the problem lies in their attitude rather than that of the doctor. It's just a matter of common sense to know that there is no link between whether or not someone wears a veil for religious reasons, and whether or not they care about helping you with your illness.

Also, another point I'd make - banning the veil outright doesn't take into account the different demographics of patients you might be treating either. For example, I used to work in a GP's surgery as a summer job, and this was in an area with the vast majority of the population being Muslims (Small Heath, Birmingham). There was a female doctor in that surgery who used to wear a veil. She was Muslim, but she didn't normally wear the veil. She only wore it at work because the male patients at that surgery felt more comfortable if she wore a veil, since that is what they were used to. So in this case, banning her from wearing a veil would be a hindrance to the actual objective of banning it in the first place. The effect it would have on patient communication depends on the circumstances. Blanket rules aren't appropriate.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Al-Mudaari
It's not pandering, it's respecting their freedom to practice their religion, something the constitute protects. .

But its a cultural practice not a religious one. As many have already said the Qur'an doesn't say a woman has to cover her face just her hair. So if they choose too cover thier face how has it got anything to do with Islam.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Once again, even as a surgeon, the veil is not a health risk. Here are surgeons;

That's basically the niqaab with a few modifications, but not much difference.

Surgery gear is not the same as a niqaab :facepalm: why are you still arguing about the pros of wearing one as a doctor/nurse when it' extremely clear that it's a stupid idea?
Reply 69
There's a limit to how much empathy people should get. It's one thing to speak words of kindness and offer advice and help to someone who's just received bad news. It's another to give them the authority to decide what you wear, based on what makes them feel best emotionally.

"I've just received bad news, so now you have to obey every command I give you about your personal decisions, because it will make me feel better emotionally. If you refuse then you lack empathy." - seems a bit extreme.

Besides don't you think someone must be lacking in empathy if they're going to force veil-wearing women to uncover their faces or risk losing their jobs, when to them, it's not decorum to show your face freely in public to anyone who asks to see it (the equivalent of going up to a western woman and demanding that she shows you her cleavage)?

I explicitly stated that I would not force a doctor to uncover their face. The lack of empathy comes in with the belief that this is a non issue.

Since I'm not part of a primitive culture that systematically objectifies women, I perceive a difference between exposing facial features and exposing sexual characteristics. As indeed does much of Islam, before you suggest this sentiment is islamophobic. If an individual chooses to appear a certain way for their own reasons then its on their own head; I doubt you'd be so quick to defend naturists or people with facial tattoos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Don't look then. Nobody's forcing you to stare at these oh-so slutty children.

Let's be honest, muslims don't exactly have a good track record when it comes to paedophilia.
Original post by mmmpie
I explicitly stated that I would not force a doctor to uncover their face. The lack of empathy comes in with the belief that this is a non issue.

I don't believe it is a non-issue. I believe it is an issue to which requiring women to uncover their faces is not a valid solution.

Since I'm not part of a primitive culture that systematically objectifies women, I perceive a difference between exposing facial features and exposing sexual characteristics.

Whether or not something is a sexual characteristic is subjective, rather than a matter of fact. You say the face is not a sexual characteristic (probably because you're so used to seeing them), veil-wearing women say it is. Some cultures in which women routinely go around topless don't consider breasts to represent a sexual characteristic either. It's not for you to decide what is and isn't sexual.
I know - but the point I'm making is this: It might be true that you don't want to hear that you have cancer from someone who isn't showing you their facial expressions. But that isn't sufficient reason to force them to show you their facial expressions - because you wouldn't want to hear that you have cancer from anybody, under any circumstances really.

When you say "I wouldn't want to find out I have cancer from someone who [insert some criterion here]", it's the part of the sentence that I've highlighted in bold which is operative.

I agree - but if the patient is such that, they feel that anyone wearing a veil for religious reasons doesn't care about them at all and thinks of them as a file, while this is not the case for people who don't wear a veil, I would say that the problem lies in their attitude rather than that of the doctor.

It's just a matter of common sense to know that there is no link between whether or not someone wears a veil for religious reasons, and whether or not they care about helping you with your illness.

Yes, but the point is about not making it worse. If I received a text message saying "You have cancer, come see me and I will treat you", I would have very little confidence in that doctor making the right decisions for me personally as opposed to just applying the standard treatment (the standard treatment might be right, but a good doctor will check side-effect profiles / medication overlaps, etc).

Assuming that everyone is nice automatically is fairly naive. We base our opinions of someone on how they react, and they how they appear to us, to assume every doctor is not going to treat us as just a file* is likely to result in disappointment. If we can't see how they react and so-on, then we either have to assume they are going to do their hardest, or assume they will do just what they are required to do. With a non-covered doctor, then if they were acting unconcerned, I would be likely to change doctor, or second-guess them more. If they act more concerned and like they have plenty of time for me, I trust their judgement more. If I can't tell, I am more likely to be worried about their judgement.

*I know this can be an act, but it will still reassure people.
Reply 73
Original post by khalaasa
Wouldn't touch such sluts with a barge pole, but if you ask for it, someone will soooner or later give it you.

Its like opening all your windows and doors and leaving the house, coming back to find it burgled. Just because you left your house as a prime target doesn't mean anyone had the right to take your stuff, but if you ask for trouble, do everyone a favour and don't cry when it comes calling.

so what is your reasoning here islamically -a mugger will mug someone walking in the street -is that person then to blame for walking outdoors? Are you saying muslim men learn that they are thieves and rapists at heart, and only presenting them with shrouded women and locked doors inhibits their learnt characteristics islam is teaching? I can walk past an open door and not rob the house. I can also meet a women not wearing a sack and treat her like a human being too -why haven't muslim learnt how to do this in 1400 years?
Reply 74
Original post by rmhumphries
I have to, otherwise I cause too much distraction to drivers and the likes with my stunning looks :flutter:

but why should their behaviour hinder your equality? aren't you letting you fellow females down?
Speaking as someone who is a muslim, wears a scarf (but my face is visible) and is a medic, I personally dont think a veil should be allowed - communication isn't just verbal - in fact I think facial expressions as just as important as what you say. Also I don't see the need to wear a veil - just wear a scarf and dress modestly.

Speaking as a patient - I would not feel comfortable talking about my concerns and fears with someone whose face was covered - it just takes the human touch away from it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by tsr5522
so what is your reasoning here islamically -a mugger will mug someone walking in the street -is that person then to blame for walking outdoors? Are you saying muslim men learn that they are thieves and rapists at heart, and only presenting them with shrouded women and locked doors inhibits their learnt characteristics islam is teaching? I can walk past an open door and not rob the house. I can also meet a women not wearing a sack and treat her like a human being too -why haven't muslim learnt how to do this in 1400 years?

No not everyone but some mugger will take your stuff if you leave your house unprotected. likewise not everyone but some sexual predator, 'muslim' or otherwise will **** you if you dress as a slut.

If you ask for trouble, you will get it,
Reply 77
Original post by khalaasa
No not everyone but some mugger will take your stuff if you leave your house unprotected. likewise not everyone but some sexual predator, 'muslim' or otherwise will **** you if you dress as a slut.

If you ask for trouble, you will get it,

dressing ' like slut' is a subjective phrase. and it is no excuse for a rapist. rapes occur because of the attacker, not the victim , and in fact im sure there are some wierdos that would get ideas about women in burkhas too -rapes occur all throughout the Islamic world (despite their poor recording system) so islam has not invented a cure for rape either. Your argument appars to be islam says blame the victim not the criminal. So by your logic- if some one attacks you because they want your trainers, that's your fault. so why do muslim men wear expensive trainers, its a temptation to theives - hypocrites?
How many doctors or nurses are there in the UK who wear a full veil? Maybe one or two IF ANY. This is a non-story which has been fabricated by the media in order to bring Islam back into the media spotlight, especially after the lack of movement on the Syria front in recent days.
Reply 79
but back on to the thread question - of course not, doctors and for that matter any public facing professional should not be incumbered by a backward ritual founded by 8th century bedouin desert tribes, in order to stop each other stealing their wives. its almost unimagineable that in a 21st century society where 'most ' people have benfitted from a comprehensive education, that we still have to discuss this. the Islamic rituals were designed to keep old Arabic socieites in order, not 21st century society, Hell, not even the arabs themselves still live like they did in the 8th century, so why would muslims in the UK lol. In the Uk we protect the right for people to have their beleifs, and most religious peoples beleifs actually fit in fine with society. but the idea of women stil wearing veils on their faces is frankly silly - and more importantly it does create impedements in modern civilisation. They cant be as silly as they want in their own homes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending